Obama embracing his signature achievement

WashPo wasn't kidding about him embracing his achievement. Obama spent nearly half of his campaign speech in Denver today talking about health care:

On the issues that matter, you don’t have to take my word for it -- you can take me at my record. Four years ago, I delivered on my promise to pass health reform before the end of my first term. That’s what we did. (Applause.) The Affordable Care Act -- also known as Obamacare -- (applause) -- I actually like the name -- (laughter) -- because I do care. (Applause.) That’s why we fought so hard to make it happen.

The Affordable Care Act helps make sure you don’t have to worry about going broke just because one of your loved ones gets sick. Insurance companies can no longer place lifetime limits on your care. They can no longer jack up your premiums without reason. They can no longer drop your coverage when you need it most. They can no longer discriminate against children with preexisting conditions. (Applause.) And pretty soon, they’ll no longer be able to deny you coverage based on a preexisting condition, like breast cancer, or cervical cancer, or charge you more for care just because you’re a woman. They can’t do that anymore. Those days are over. (Applause.)

This is a law that allows young adults under the age of 26 to stay on their parent's health care plans -- (applause) -- and that’s already helped 6.6 million young Americans. (Applause.)

If you’re a little bit over 26, it gives seniors a discount on their prescription drugs -- a discount that's already saved millions of seniors on Medicare hundreds of dollars each. (Applause.)

Right now, nearly 13 million Americans are getting a rebate from insurance companies -- that’s right, they’re sending you a check -- (applause) -- because under the law, we’ve capped the amount of money that they can spend on administrative costs and CEO bonuses instead of your health care. And when they violate that rule, they’ve got to send you a check. (Applause.)

Last year, Obamacare secured new access to preventive care like mammograms and cancer screenings -- with no co-pay, no deductible, no out-of-pocket cost for more than 20 million women. (Applause.) Last week, insurance companies began covering even more services. And now most health plans are going to begin covering the cost of contraceptive care. (Applause.)

Now, understand this is crucial for women’s health. Doctors prescribe contraception not just for family planning but as a way to reduce the risk of ovarian and other cancers. And it’s good for our health care system in general, because we know the overall cost of care is lower when women have access to contraceptive services.

And listen, we recognize that many people have strongly held religious views on contraception, which is why we made sure churches and other houses of worship, they don’t have to provide it, they don’t have to pay for it. We worked with the Catholic hospitals and universities to find a solution that protects both religious liberty and a woman’s health. (Applause.)

The fact is nearly 99 percent of women have relied on contraception at some point -- and more than half of all women between the ages of 18 and 34 have struggled to afford it.

AUDIENCE MEMBER: Thank you!

THE PRESIDENT: And we’re changing that. (Applause.) Before health care reform, many health care plans charged high deductibles or co-pays for all these preventive services, or they just didn’t cover them at all. And according to one study, more than half of all women put off the care they needed because of that. How many of you have gone without care that you needed or a checkup because you knew that you might not be able to afford the insurance co-pays -- and you had to choose between gas, or groceries, or your kid’s new soccer uniform?

I don’t think a working mom in Denver should have to wait to get a mammogram just because money is tight. (Applause.) I don’t think a college student in Colorado Springs should have to choose between textbooks or the preventive care that she needs. That’s why we passed this law. (Applause.) It was the right thing to do.

Now, my opponent has a different view. As Sandra said, he said he would take the Affordable Care Act and "kill it dead" on the first day of his presidency -- "kill it dead."

AUDIENCE: Booo --

THE PRESIDENT: Which -- I mean, just understand what this means. This means 26-year-olds -- 6.5 million young people don’t have health insurance. The preventative care gone. Seniors paying more for prescription drugs. Preexisting conditions -- you’re out of luck. Then he said he’d "get rid of" Planned Parenthood.

THE PRESIDENT: Then he said he would have supported an extreme measure in Mississippi that could have outlawed some forms of contraception.

THE PRESIDENT: Then he joined the far right of his party to support a bill that would allow any employer to deny contraceptive coverage to their employees. So it would be up to the employer to decide --

THE PRESIDENt: -- your boss telling you what’s best for your health and your safety.

Now, let me tell you something, Denver -- I don’t think your boss should get to control the health care that you get. (Applause.) I don’t think insurance companies should control the care that you get. I don’t think politicians should control the care that you get. I think there's one person to make these decisions on health care, and that is you. You should make that decision. (Applause.)

Mr. Romney is running as the candidate of conservative values. There’s nothing conservative about a government that prevents a woman from making her own health care decisions. He says he’s the candidate of freedom. But freedom is the chance, the opportunity to determine for yourself the care that you need, when you need it. (Applause.) It’s the ability to change jobs or start your own business without fear of losing your health insurance. (Applause.)

We’re not going back to the days when it was acceptable to charge women more than men for health care. And we’re not going back to the days when women with preexisting conditions, like being a cancer survivor, were denied affordable care. (Applause.) We’re not going to kick more than a million young women off their parent's plan. We are not going backwards, Denver. We're moving forward. That’s why I’m running for President again. (Applause.)

And understand this: At a time when women make up nearly half the workforce, an increasing share of family breadwinners, these aren’t just health issues and they’re not just women’s issues. These are economic issues. They affect every family in America. (Applause.) Think about it. Think about what it means when a woman is the main breadwinner for her family, but she’s taking less pay home, doing the same work as a man, just because she’s a woman. That’s not right.

He's really turning up the volume now.

NO, what he is doing is not talking about Obamatax he is lying about Romney, or didn't you read his speech?

Sure why not, at least he had some accomplishments, more so then Obama.

His health law was indeed impressive. It's no wonder he chose to include it in his official gubernatorial portrait.

Did he have to bribe his own party members and threaten the ones who wouldn't take the bribe? Did he say it wasn't a tax and belittle everyone who said it was and then was proved to be a fool or a liar? Was Romney care unpopular with 67 percent of those in the state?

It's about time the Democrats started messaging properly on the Affordable Care Act. They've done a shit ass job up to this point and let the Faux talking heads drive the conversation with lies.

What did we miss?

At some recent events, Romney hasn’t talked about the issue at all. On Friday, while campaigning in Las Vegas, he made one brief mention of “Obamacare”, pledging to get rid of it and return health care “to a setting of personal responsibility

Translation: ‘those who have no health insurance through no fault of their own must go without.’

WashPo wasn't kidding about him embracing his achievement. Obama spent nearly half of his campaign speech in Denver today talking about health care:

<snip>

He's really turning up the volume now.

Well, Mittens can play that game, too. All he has to do is talk about his accomplishments as a MA governor...

...right? :eusa_shifty:

Sure why not, at least he had some accomplishments, more so then Obama.

Like his state's jobs record under his governorship or his own favorability poll numbers when he left?

My brother just found out his insurance company no longer covers visits to the local hospitals.

That's hope and change, right? That's how Obama is driving down costs, right?

My brother just found out his insurance company no longer covers visits to the local hospitals.

Yes, that's the Obamacare plan to control costs: Don't get sick. And if you get sick, die quickly.

Obama, a guy who never worked a day in his life, is going to run the healthcare industry in the USA. What could possibly go wrong?

Your brother is in luck. Hospitalization coverage will soon be considered an essential health benefit and network adequacy will be a required component of plan certification. More than that, the list of in-network providers for competing health insurance plans will be something he can easily compare side-by-side while comparison shopping for a plan in the new, transparent marketplaces that are launching late next year.

That's a good example, thanks for bringing it up!

Your brother is in luck. Hospitalization coverage will soon be considered an essential health benefit and network adequacy will be a required component of plan certification. More than that, the list of in-network providers for competing health insurance plans will be something he can easily compare side-by-side while comparison shopping for a plan in the new, transparent marketplaces that are launching late next year.

You're a sick man. My brother hospitals stop taking patients covered by a major US business and that's "good news" His carrier was not Joe Biden 57 States Insurco, it was Aetna.

Obamacare needs to be aborted and replaced with the Whole Food Recommendations

George W. Bush inherited a strong economy, a budget surplus, and a nation at peace.

Eight years later, he left Obama with a shattered economy, a trillion dollar deficit, and two useless wars.

Obama saved the country from another Great Depression, rebuilt GM, reformed healthcare, reformed Wall Street, doubled the stock market, created 12 straight quarters of GDP growth, created 29 straight months of private sector job growth, got Bin Laden, got Gaddafi, and got us out of Iraq.

And now with the automatic spending cuts and the expiration of the Bush tax cuts in 2012, Obama has solved the deficit problem as well.

Obama has done a very good job.

George W. Bush inherited a strong economy, a budget surplus, and a nation at peace.

Eight years later, he left Obama with a shattered economy, a trillion dollar deficit, and two useless wars.

Obama saved the country from another Great Depression, rebuilt GM, reformed healthcare, reformed Wall Street, doubled the stock market, created 12 straight quarters of GDP growth, created 29 straight months of private sector job growth, got Bin Laden, got Gaddafi, and got us out of Iraq.

And now with the automatic spending cuts and the expiration of the Bush tax cuts in 2012, Obama has solved the deficit problem as well.

:lol:
you keep trying to sell that.
you just said with AUTOMATIC spending cuts..what did obama have to do with that?

You're a sick man. My brother hospitals stop taking patients covered by a major US business and that's "good news" His carrier was not Joe Biden 57 States Insurco, it was Aetna.

Obamacare needs to be aborted and replaced with the Whole Food Recommendations
It's proof that Greenbeard is a liberal tool. Every response of theirs is: There is a gov't program to help you. There is a mandate giving you free whatever. You can apply for state benefits to solve your problem. All in the same bureaspeak tone of earnest condescension.

:lol:
you keep trying to sell that.
you just said with AUTOMATIC spending cuts..what did obama have to do with that?

Stephanie, this is why Obama is ahead 20 points in every poll.
Oh, wait.

Forum List

Back