Obama Challenged-Russia & Iran

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Well it seems not to be noticed by the MSM, at least for connecting the dots. Unsurprisingly our enemies are hitting right and left. With our government focused on pork and control, who needs to worry about the gathering storm:

AFP: Defiant Ahmadinejad blasts US at Russia summit

Defiant Ahmadinejad blasts US at Russia summit
By Anna Smolchenko – 8 hours ago

YEKATERINBURG, Russia (AFP) — Iran's under-fire President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad Tuesday sat side-by-side with world leaders at a summit in Russia, defiantly proclaiming the age of empires had ended and attacking the United States.

In a show of confidence after the worst riots in his country in a decade, Ahmadinejad made no mention of the violence or his hotly disputed reelection victory in his address to the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO).

"The international capitalist order is retreating," the controversial president told world leaders, including Russian President Dmitry Medvedev and China's Hu Jintao, in the Russian city of Yekaterinburg....

knoxnews.com: News stories by the Associated Press

Jun 16, 8:23 AM EDT

Russia, China seek greater international clout

By VLADIMIR ISACHENKOV
Associated Press Writer

YEKATERINBURG, Russia (AP) -- China and Russia sought greater international clout at a summit Tuesday, with China promising $10 billion in loans to Central Asian countries and Russia challenging the U.S. dollar's dominance as a global reserve currency.

Chinese leader Hu Jintao said China will offer the loans to several countries, including Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan, to help them through the global financial crisis.

The move, announced at the meeting of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization, adds muscle to China's role in the group, which Russia and China use to counter Western influence in resource-rich, strategically placed Central Asia.

The leaders of Afghanistan, Iran, India and Pakistan were also at the table, underscoring Russia and China's reach for broader global influence. The Shanghai group members released a summit declaration saying that global "multi-polarity is irreversible," a reference to their opposition to perceived U.S. domination in international affairs....

Meanwhile, at home the era of Chicago Way continues:

Stimulus serves up Obama pork - Eamon Javers - POLITICO.com

Stimulus serves up Obama pork
By: Eamon Javers
June 16, 2009 04:13 AM EST

It became a sort of poster child for fiscal responsibility — a clean-coal power plant in Illinois that was one of then-Sen. Barack Obama’s pet projects.

Democrats insisted they were so serious about keeping pork out of the stimulus bill that it was President Obama himself who blocked the FutureGen project from the massive spending package.

“It shows that we’re serious about it,” Brendan Daly, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s spokesman, said at the time. “The speaker said it, and the president said it: There will not be earmarks in this bill.”

Earmarks? Perhaps not. But funding for FutureGen? Absolutely, to the tune of $1 billion.

The Department of Energy on Friday announced that the FutureGen project is on track after all, committing federal stimulus money to advance the project to its next stage. One reason: It was the only shovel-ready project that fits the requirements of the stimulus bill...

The Volokh Conspiracy - -

Obama administration moves to ban 80% of knives: Under the 1958 federal Switchblade Act, switchblade knives are not importable into the United States, and may not be shipped across state lines. On May 21, U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP) proposed the revocation of four previous Ruling Letters; the effect would be a drastic expansion of the definition of non-importable knives. The organization KnifeRights warns that revocations would outlaw approximately 80 percent of the current market in knives.

The federal law does not apply to the mere possession or carrying of knives, but as KnifeRights explains, many state and local bans on possession or carrying are parasitic on the federal definition. Accordingly, if the proposed Customs change goes into effect, many millions of people who own or carry pocketknives would instantly be defined as criminals....

You can add to this that the US gave a tepid response to the Iran election, France, the UK and Germany strong ones.

BO really is the neo-jimmah.

MOSCOW (AFP) — Russia could use bases for its strategic bombers on the doorstep of the United States in Cuba and Venezuela to underpin long-distance patrols in the region, a senior air force officer said Saturday.

"This is possible in Cuba," General Anatoly Zhikharev, chief of the Russian air force's strategic aviation staff, told the Interfax-AVN military news agency.

The comments were the latest signal that Moscow intends to project its military capability in far-flung corners of the globe despite a tight defence budget and hardware that experts consider in many respects outdated.
AFP: Russia weighs Cuba, Venezuela bases: report

The short answer is: because he was invited. Russia is convening two back-to-back summits of significant global importance this week. Moscow is a key player in both the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO), a Chinese-driven body aimed at improving ties with Russia and Central Asia, and the so-called BRIC group — a gang of four emerging world powers in Brazil, Russia, India and China. With the SCO and BRIC meeting at the same place, much of the non-Western world's geopolitical muscle is now rubbing shoulders in the shadow of the Urals. And the Iranian President, who never shies from making bold pronouncements, was not going to miss an opportunity to let loose his usual rhetorical flair. Soon after landing, Ahmadinejad launched a broadside at the fortunes of the West, especially America's, in the wake of the ravages of the global recession and the military quagmires in Iraq and Afghanistan. "It is absolutely obvious that the age of empires has ended," said Ahmadinejad, "and its revival will not take place."
Unbowed, Ahmadinejad Shows Up in Russia - TIME

Instead of a missile defense cut, we must invest in capabilities that protect the U.S. homeland, our forward-deployed troops, and allies," said Strategic Forces Subcommittee ranking member Michael Turner (R-Ohio).

But Democrats counter that the money provided in the chairman's mark for missile defense -- the same amount requested by the Obama administration -- is adequate to defend the United States against any potential threats of ballistic missiles.

"We've given them $9-plus billion," Armed Services Chairman Ike Skelton said last week.

The missile defense funding in the bill focuses on what Defense Secretary Gates has described as proven or successful technologies, boosting funding for Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense and Theater High-Altitude Area Defense by a total of $900 million over FY09 levels.

NTI: Global Security Newswire - Republicans To Oppose Missile Defense Cuts in Authorization Markup
PYONGYANG, North Korea, June 16 (UPI) -- North Korea threatened to launch a pre-emptive strike against the United States, alleging provocations from Washington.

The warning came Monday from Pak Jae Gyong, vice-minister of the North Korean People's Armed Forces, in his address at a mass rally in Pyongyang, China's state-run Xinhua news agency reported, quoting official North Korean reports.
N. Korea threatens U.S. - UPI.com

Now take all this together and what you have is a President that is cutting US Military capability while we are engaged in 2 conflicts as well as ever increasing threats ferom other nations all in the name of getting his social agenda passed.

I think it's time for some humility on a part of US.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T84GJ-GcpBU&feature=related]YouTube - Russia and what you need to know[/ame]

You can add to this that the US gave a tepid response to the Iran election, France, the UK and Germany strong ones.

BO really is the neo-jimmah.

Its not about us, its about them.
If you are going to quote me, do not shoot non sequitors.

Its not a non-sequitor. Honestly, its not Obamas place to voice support. This isn't about us, or what we do or want. Its about what THEY want.

Its not a non-sequitor. Honestly, its not Obamas place to voice support. This isn't about us, or what we do or want. Its about what THEY want.
You don't know what i was talking about, or this subject.

It's clear you don't know me at all.

As I said, learn before posting non sequitors.

The people of Iran want change and it was robbed, AS I SAID WOULD HAPPEN BEFORE THE ELECTION, and BO is blowing it off because he made a big deal about speaking to Imadingyslob without preconditions.

His typical gutless approach to situations shows he's waiting for poll data to decide how to procede.

When even the pedantic French are outraged at iran, that should be your first clue BO handled the situation incorrectly, ala America's favorite boob, Jimmih.

It has NOTHING to do with what 'we' want.

YouTube - Russia and what you need to know

Fuck that and fuck you. It's about time the US pulled it's collective head out of its ass and saw these countries we throw billions of dollars at annually for exactly what they are, and stop this partisan smokescreen bullshit Bush is responsible. WE are responsible because WE exist.

Why is it every other Nation's place to voice their support or lack thereof, but not ours? The US has an international opinion that despite people like Obama, you and meme, STILL carries a little weight.

If Obama can run over to the ME kissing Arab ass and telling them all about how we've fucked them over, he most certainly can call bullshit on a fraudulent election.

The people of Iran want change and it was robbed, AS I SAID WOULD HAPPEN BEFORE THE ELECTION, and BO is blowing it off because he made a big deal about speaking to Imadingyslob without preconditions.

His typical gutless approach to situations shows he's waiting for poll data to decide how to procede.

When even the pedantic French are outraged at iran, that should be your first clue BO handled the situation incorrectly, ala America's favorite boob, Jimmih.

Actually it seems to be exactly about what 'we' want, which is why you are bitching and whining that Obamas not doing what YOU want in regards to Iran. How about doing what THEY want? When Iranian dissident leaders ask for our support, then he can give it to them. Until then? He shouldn't be making grand proclamations on the issue.

The US has been delegitimized in the region, in part because of the invasion of Iraq, but also in part because of the harsh US and Iranian rhetoric. Ahmadinejad got part of his power and influence from railing against western influences. There are currently ads on Iranian television saying that the protests are the result of American influence and those revolting are just western stooges. We really, really, don't need to support that thesis by declaring our support.

By the way, Obama IS doing things to support the Iranian protestors. Hes just not being a loud blowhard about it.

Why is it every other Nation's place to voice their support or lack thereof, but not ours? The US has an international opinion that despite people like Obama, you and meme, STILL carries a little weight.

Who said its other nations place to voice their support or lack thereof? And yes, the US does have an international opinion, but in the middle east it does NOT carry weight, and especially not in Iran. In fact, the American opinion does damage in Iran and Ahmadinejad has already used anti-US rhetoric to stir up nationalist Iranians in the past. We really, really, don't need more of that right now.

If Obama can run over to the ME kissing Arab ass and telling them all about how we've fucked them over, he most certainly can call bullshit on a fraudulent election.

He didn't do that in the first place, and I'm sure he would like to call bullshit. But he needs to tread lightly here.

Also Gunny...can you move the "Iran Information" thread from the Iran board to the Current Events board? Its an aggregation of Iranian events as they happen, and I am trying to keep it updated. There is a dearth of information on whats going on over there since cable news seems to have dropped the ball, and right now it seems like the only information flowing out of there is from citizen tweeters.

Actually it seems to be exactly about what 'we' want, which is why you are bitching and whining that Obamas not doing what YOU want in regards to Iran. How about doing what THEY want? When Iranian dissident leaders ask for our support, then he can give it to them. Until then? He shouldn't be making grand proclamations on the issue.

The US has been delegitimized in the region, in part because of the invasion of Iraq, but also in part because of the harsh US and Iranian rhetoric. Ahmadinejad got part of his power and influence from railing against western influences. There are currently ads on Iranian television saying that the protests are the result of American influence and those revolting are just western stooges. We really, really, don't need to support that thesis by declaring our support.

By the way, Obama IS doing things to support the Iranian protestors. Hes just not being a loud blowhard about it.

Please provide your evidence that Obama is doing something to support Iranian protesters.

When Iranian dissident leaders ask for our our support and get it, it won't be during THIS administration.

Actually it seems to be exactly about what 'we' want, which is why you are bitching and whining that Obamas not doing what YOU want in regards to Iran.
I'm amazed at how far up the ass of Obama people like you are, do you realize how stupid you sound.

It's not what 'I' want, if it were up to me the USA would have ZERO overseas troops and bases.

This is what I meant about you not knowing what you are talking about.

How about doing what THEY want? When Iranian dissident leaders ask for our support, then he can give it to them. Until then? He shouldn't be making grand proclamations on the issue.
Ah, the lovely sentiment that brought such luminarties as Hitler, Stalin, Pol pot and many other beautiful people to power.

HA HA HA HA HA HA

Ever been there?

That is a rhetorical, the USA has never had legitmate sway there, ever. The Iraq war and 'harsh Iranian rhetoric' have nothing to do with it.

That is a region that respects power and money in that order.

Period.

If Obama comes to a sudden halt we will need the jaws of life to remove you from his ass.

Please provide your evidence that Obama is doing something to support Iranian protesters.

When Iranian dissident leaders ask for our our support and get it, it won't be during THIS administration.

Twitter is one of the only form of communications between Iran and the outside world. It has been invaluable for spreading information between protestors and between protestors and the outside world. I don't know why it hasn't been blocked, maybe they can't, but for whatever reason its basically the main source of information we have.

Twitter was due to go down for maintenance tonight. It was scheduled for late US time because Twitter is primarily used by US residents. This would have been at 10:30 AM Tehran time, which would have been very, very bad for communication efforts there. However, due in part (or perhaps due completely) to a request by the Obama administration, they changed the time of their maintenance to middle of the night Iranian time.

As someone who has been intensly following the events over there, I can't tell you how important this small step is. Twitter is an important enough tool for the dissidents that government agents have created fake "pro-mousavi" twitter accounts. They have tried to find particular individuals who are twittering. There have been mass protests by MSM outlets like CNN who have, stupidly, publicized the name of twitterers. Most of the MSM is getting a lot of their information from a few of these individuals. Without them, information would be a LOT scarcer.

By the way...I shouldn't even know this. Its bad that this got out. I don't doubt they are covertly supporting them in other ways as well that we don't know about.

U.S. State Department speaks to Twitter over Iran | Industries | Technology, Media & Telecommunications | Reuters

Actually it seems to be exactly about what 'we' want, which is why you are bitching and whining that Obamas not doing what YOU want in regards to Iran.
I'm amazed at how far up the ass of Obama people like you are, do you realize how stupid you sound.

It's not what 'I' want, if it were up to me the USA would have ZERO overseas troops and bases.

This is what I meant about you not knowing what you are talking about.

So when you advocate Obama speaking out, whose interests do you claim to be representing, since its apparently not what "you" want?

How about doing what THEY want? When Iranian dissident leaders ask for our support, then he can give it to them. Until then? He shouldn't be making grand proclamations on the issue.
Ah, the lovely sentiment that brought such luminarties as Hitler, Stalin, Pol pot and many other beautiful people to power.

So you think people making proclamations would have stopped Hitler? Exactly who should have proclaimed what, and explain how it would have stopped him.

HA HA HA HA HA HA

Ever been there?

That is a rhetorical, the USA has never had legitmate sway there, ever. The Iraq war and 'harsh Iranian rhetoric' have nothing to do with it.

That is a region that respects power and money in that order.

Period.

Of course. All the people protesting only want power and money. They aren't doing it for a little thing called democracy or anything. They think that resisting the government and risking their lives is going to, somehow, get them power and money.

YouTube - Russia and what you need to know

Fuck that and fuck you. It's about time the US pulled it's collective head out of its ass and saw these countries we throw billions of dollars at annually for exactly what they are, and stop this partisan smokescreen bullshit Bush is responsible. WE are responsible because WE exist.

1. the US doesn't throw billions of dollars at the countries; the US throws billions of dollars at the KEPT ELITES of these countries.

2. Yes, the US needs to pull it's collective head out of its ass and stop playing this Zbigniew Brzezinski American World Order game. http://sandiego.indymedia.org/media/2006/10/119973.pdf

It's interesting that you think the US has been delegitimized in the region when it can well be argued that the reformist movement in Iran can be directly linked to Iraq's newfound freedoms. As much as we can argue about whether or not going into Iraq was the right thing to do or not, the fact is that what is taking place in Iran currently is much of what GW envisioned.

Supporting reformists in the ME is truly our only long term hope to subdue the radical Islamic agenda. As much as I personally believe the radical fringe is in control of Islam and is responsible for the direction that leads these countries, there still is hope that this course can be changed. To me, this is making Bush look like a genius, and Obama's wait and see attitude very dangerous.

It takes balls to be President, and decisions made by those who are elected to lead us do say a great deal about us. Sometimes, decsions are made that are unpopular but turn out to be correct. In Obama's case, his decision to sit on the sidelines is not only unpopular, but it is looking to be obviously the wrong decision.

The other powers and the small want to be powers are licking their chops, planning their moves and slowly picking and positioning, as Obama wanders aimlessly!

Between the internal infestation he has begun and his ignorance to the real outside threats, both physical and financial he is taking this nation to a new all time low.

The sooner we face the truth about this poser the better. Let the liberals in the house and senate know, impeach him or never hold office again. They need to stand up for America and throw out the trash!

Forum List

Back