Obama Bows Before the Japanese Emperor

57 civilians were killed in Pearl Harbor.

Our atomic bombs killed 140,000 in Hiroshima and 80,000 at Nagasaki for a total of 220,000 civilians killed by the United States. You somehow equate a Japanese attack on a MILITARY base to be the same as a United States slaying of nearly a quarter of a million Japanese civilians who had nothing to do with the war.

Whether what we did was right or wrong for us in the long term is irrelevant. The United States killed hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians. That is not heroic. It is a travesty. Was it necessary? Probably. But we should not be proud of what we did. Any man who thinks the brutal slaying of all of these people was a GREAT thing needs to get his head checked.

During Passover, the Jews remember and grieve for the loss of the Egyptians that God killed after they brutally imprisoned and enslaved the Hebrews for centuries. It would be nice if America had a day to remember the loss of the Japanese civilians.

The atomic bombs being dropped had nothing to do with Pearl Harbor, so why compare the two? The Japanese were clearly losing the war, they lost battle after battle in the Pacific, yet as we got closer to the homeland they fought much more fierce. They used Kamikazes and soldiers who would blow themselves up, much like today's suicide bombers. The esitimates for casualties for an invasion of the mainland of Japan numbered up to one million for the US side. So Truman, a democrat by the way, decided to use the bomb to save US troop lives. The Japanese were warned they had better surrender and they didn't. So the first bomb was dropped. After two days, they still didn't hear anything from the Japanese government, so the next one was dropped. Even then, the Japanese only chose to surrender once the Soviets declared war on them.

Also, lets not act as if Hiroshima was a civilian target. It was a industrial city producing for the military, and the headquarters for 2nd Army and 5th division. Nagasaki was actually the secondary target for the second bomb, when the primary target was canceled due to clouds/weather. Nagasaki was a huge port for the Imperial Navy and had a well established industry producing for the war effort. So please, drop the phoney outrage about the US targeting civilians as opposed to military targets. They DID target military targets, but uneducated twits like you would rather believe anti-US propaganda. The Japs had ample opportunity to surrender and save many lives...they chose not to.

One last time: what Obama did was grovel, not bow.

That Empress Michiko managed not to throw up in disgust is a testament to her grace and will power

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...dogbert goes on line to wikipedia, learns a few Japanese words and is all of a sudden thinks he's goddam Setzuso Kotsuji .

Unlike you, I have furthered my education and have learned Japanese History in great detail. All you're using is stupidity.

It's my understanding that the bow shouldn't have been so deep. It should have been about the same degree as the emperor. I don't have an issue with what Obama did like some on this thread, but I do feel he went too deep with it.
If it was me, I would have kept eye contact with the emperor during the bow, I'm sure you know what that means, Dogbert, with your studies on ancient, and modern history of Japan.

Except the lower the bow, the more respect. Obama was not groveling, he was showing a major sign of respect for the Emperor of Japan as a person.

Obama performed the bow fine. Some would say he might of bowed too deeply but it's all subjective. You also have to take into consideration once again, height, and the fact he was also shaking his hand.

You're wrong however, it's important NOT to make eye contact. Your eyes are suppose to be directly downward.

Last edited:
Barack Obama is 6' 1 1/2 feet tall.

Look at this!!!! Dogbert is so immersed in Japanese culture that he completely forgot how to measure in feet and inches. So Obama is now 6 feet 1 and 1/2 feet tall eh? .... so that makes him 7 and a half feet tall....wow....better get out of your Harajiku girl's dress and step back into reality...
482836-lolita-style-harajuku-girl-01.jpg

I couldn't do the 1/2 symbol and did not add inches in front of the 1. Patek, you are simply trolling and it's pathetic.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...dogbert goes on line to wikipedia, learns a few Japanese words and is all of a sudden thinks he's goddam Setzuso Kotsuji .

Unlike you, I have furthered my education and have learned Japanese History in great detail. All you're using is stupidity.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

in a whole 2 weeks!!!!!!!!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

wow...you must be like doogie howser!!!!!

Actually it's been since late August that I've been learning about Japan in great detail but please, go on, don't allow the facts to stop you. :popcorn:

It's my understanding that the bow shouldn't have been so deep. It should have been about the same degree as the emperor. I don't have an issue with what Obama did like some on this thread, but I do feel he went too deep with it.
If it was me, I would have kept eye contact with the emperor during the bow, I'm sure you know what that means, Dogbert, with your studies on ancient, and modern history of Japan.

Except the lower the bow, the more respect. Obama was not groveling, he was showing a major sign of respect for the Emperor of Japan as a person.

Obama performed the bow fine. Some would say he might of bowed too deeply but it's all subjective. You also have to take into consideration once again, height, and the fact he was also shaking his hand.

You're wrong however, it's important NOT to make eye contact. Your eyes are suppose to be directly downward.
Being that they are equals...they should have had the same degree of a bow, or there abouts. When you go deep it is not just a show of respect, but is a show of being less superior. This is my understanding of the bow in Japan.
I'm not wrong Dogbert, why are you not suppose to make eye contact when bowing? I mean I'm being me and not PC when I'm stating this...but there is a reason. Do you know why?

Actually it's been since late August that I've been learning about Japan in great detail but please, go on, don't allow the facts to stop you. :popcorn:

You're so full of yourself that no one really cares what you have to say. Otherwise you would have some sort of social life beyond this message board instead of playing with yourself while watching X-rated anime.

August may be the worse month to start learning about Japan.

Being that they are equals...they should have had the same degree of a bow, or there abouts. When you go deep it is not just a show of respect, but is a show of being less superior. This is my understanding of the bow in Japan.
I'm not wrong Dogbert, why are you not suppose to make eye contact when bowing? I mean I'm being me and not PC when I'm stating this...but there is a reason. Do you know why?

Japanese culture dictates as little eye contact as possible. In fact, you're only suppose to have eye contact at most 25% of the time. Bowing, your eyes are suppose to be cast downward with your hands at your sides unless you are shaking hands as there are two variations for it.

You are confusing the show of respect and superiority. The Deeper and Longer the Bow, the stronger the emotion. It does not mean superiority unless you are someone of a lesser class.

What you're thinking of at a 15 degree angle is a informal bow. While an informal bow is alright for regular people, you do NOT give a informal bow to the Emperor. It's a sign of disrespect. Obama took the middle ground and gave a formal bow. He could of gone the extreme route with the very bow with the kneeling. However, Obama did not do that because he was not groveling.

The problem in this thread is ignorant people like Frank and Patek who could not get their way out of a paper bag, not even going into the topic of realizing the tradition of bowing. If I did not bring up this up, the majority of the people bitching would still be bitching about the bow in general taking place instead of the stance.

Your understanding is wrong I assume or you're assuming a different sort of bow. You are suppose to have your eyes cast downward. It is tradition overall.

As for Obama, he also threw in a variation of the bow with shaking hands. So it was a mix of a formal bow and a bow while shaking hands.

Bowing is a extremely complex thing considering the different cultures have different variations. Obama did a fine job, and this is coming from a Liberal who is disagreeing with much of his policy. In fact, today, I had debated about why we should leave Afghanistan.

I find it shameful that many of my fellow Americans give more time on this board to this issue than the issue of say, PTSD that is currently plaguing the Military. Or the fact that U.S. Army suicides are at all time high.

You're so full of yourself that no one really cares what you have to say. Otherwise you would have some sort of social life beyond this message board instead of playing with yourself while watching X-rated anime.

Except I do have a social life. And I'm not full of myself. And I don't watch X-rated Anime, sorry to burst that bubble of yours. Now you're simply trolling with personal attacks. Though at least you have given up the attempted facade of making some argument.

You are exactly right. After watching a video of it, I am rather surprised that the Emperor and his wife didn't bow hardly at all. They barely give a head nod. There is clearly not much respect there. If the Emperor would had bowed equally as low then it would be ok, but he didn't go anywhere near that depth.

I have no problem with Obama bowing to the Emperor of the Sushi, I do have a problem with Obama deciding he will not fly in Air Force One to Japan but rather chose to fly on Mothora.

he said late august! ka boom

Technically it was even September since we did not start learning about Japan until midway during the third class. Beforehand it was all notes about East Asia and Asia in general.

Eye contact is only made and maintained in a competion setting like a Judo, Kendo or Aikido competition. Any martial arts tournament setting.

Forum List

Back