Obama blames the rise of the machines for high unemployment.

I personally think there is a very real danger with losing our ability to code software.

You have seen that as well?

Ahh compiled programs that once ate up 16kbytes in the olden days now eat up 1 meg.

Compile a simple shell sort routine in C++++++++ :)

Seen it? I live it.

Memory got cheap so people got sloppy.

Yep the improvements in memory and processing speeds are just eaten up by the sloppy software.

The President is not wrong. In just two years I've seen automation reduce the personnel size in my office by 30%.

That is not the reason we have high unemployment. Nor is it a contributing factor.

Now you guys can't have it both ways. Your all high on green or high tech energy. Don't you think that's gonna cost jobs as well as drive costs up because as we all know new tech always has a high price.
Ah, yes....the ol' "Everybody knows...."-pitch, much like John Boner & Eric Cantor insisting "The American people want...", or "The American people say...", or (even) "The American people know...".

It's simply a bullshit tactic to convince people (who don't agree with you) that they're outta-step with "The American people"/"Everybody"-else.

handjob.gif

Our employment-problems are a direct-result o' old-guard business-managers, who still manage to bullshit everyone into believing they (and, they alone) possess all the knowledge, needed, to steer their companies towards prosperity....as-long-as those mega-bonu$e$ keep comin'.

handjob.gif

June 15, 2011

"In a March paper for the Council on Foreign Relations, Nobel laureate economist Michael Spence and New York University researcher Sandile Hlatshwayo argue that Germany’s success at building a booming manufacturing sector that constitutes almost twice the share of the economy that ours does is largely the result of “a broad agreement among business, labor and government” to keep wages competitive and high-value-added production at home. Leslie Gelb, former president of the Council on Foreign Relations, also attributes Germany’s overwhelmingly positive trade balance and comparatively low unemployment rate (7 percent) to that tripartite system. David Leonhardt, the New York Times economics columnist, wrote last week that Germany owed its edge in global competitiveness to a range of policies that could not be more different than ours: limiting homeownership, improving education (including vocational and technical education) and keeping unions strong — which is why “middle-class pay,” he noted, “has risen at roughly the same rate as top incomes.”

I agree with the comments about a shift occurring. Skills are changing dramatically

That's why when I majored in accounting, I also minored in computer science. I now have a very successful career as a CPA who partners with Microsoft in their ERP product line.

You gotta look ahead and cover more than one base.

That is not the reason we have high unemployment. Nor is it a contributing factor.

Now you guys can't have it both ways. Your all high on green or high tech energy. Don't you think that's gonna cost jobs as well as drive costs up because as we all know new tech always has a high price.

How can you logically say that it isn't a contributing factor when I just told you we have reduced our permanent staff as a direct result of automation?

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of automation.

Intelligent Character Recognition for data entry.

Last edited:
The President is not wrong. In just two years I've seen automation reduce the personnel size in my office by 30%.

Ah, yes....the ol' "Everybody knows...."-pitch, much like John Boner & Eric Cantor insisting "The American people want...", or "The American people say...", or (even) "The American people know...".

It's simply a bullshit tactic to convince people (who don't agree with you) that they're outta-step with "The American people"/"Everybody"-else.

handjob.gif

Our employment-problems are a direct-result o' old-guard business-managers, who still manage to bullshit everyone into believing they (and, they alone) possess all the knowledge, needed, to steer their companies towards prosperity....as-long-as those mega-bonu$e$ keep comin'.

handjob.gif

June 15, 2011

"In a March paper for the Council on Foreign Relations, Nobel laureate economist Michael Spence and New York University researcher Sandile Hlatshwayo argue that Germany’s success at building a booming manufacturing sector that constitutes almost twice the share of the economy that ours does is largely the result of “a broad agreement among business, labor and government” to keep wages competitive and high-value-added production at home. Leslie Gelb, former president of the Council on Foreign Relations, also attributes Germany’s overwhelmingly positive trade balance and comparatively low unemployment rate (7 percent) to that tripartite system. David Leonhardt, the New York Times economics columnist, wrote last week that Germany owed its edge in global competitiveness to a range of policies that could not be more different than ours: limiting homeownership, improving education (including vocational and technical education) and keeping unions strong — which is why “middle-class pay,” he noted, “has risen at roughly the same rate as top incomes.”

I'm sorry but if you can't comprehend that new technology comes at a price without being told you don't belong in this conversation.

I will not use the self checkouts at stores because they do eliminate local jobs.
they do create jobs in Tiawan and China where the hardware is made though.

IMO I should get a discount for using a self check out because I'm doing all the work.

I'm sorry but if you can't comprehend that new technology comes at a price without being told you don't belong in this conversation.

This is remarkable given..

Are you kidding? Look at all the jobs the machines create: invent, production, program with updates, maintain, market & sell, fill. Look at the money in production time they save us. All versus the 1 teller they "may" replace.
It's just sad that our president is so eager to excuse away his own inept policies that his excuse is just as pathetic as the results of his policies.

Automation..as this country has been using it..results in a very big net loss for labor.

Not recognizing that as a factor in the challenge to create jobs is a fool's errand.

(So by the way is trying to have a meaningful discussion with Mr. Shaman. I suspect he's a bot)

What about all the anti groping machines (lemme see your boobs machines) at the airport that "are new"? Oops that's right they created jobs not replacing jobs. Need an mri? Oh I guess your doctor could just use his xray glasses. Wanna order something online from home? Naw go ahead and waste your time and gas running around town looking for it at the same price. Gonna hire an over priced computer tech to fix your computer or spend your saved money elsewhere and do it yourself with online software?

There are more jobs created by a lot of our advancements and for the most part they're good paying jobs. Like the guy operating the mri machine. Course I guess he could be mowing my lawn.

I will not use the self checkouts at stores because they do eliminate local jobs.

IMO I should get a discount for using a self check out because I'm doing all the work.

SAN DIEGO — Public officials and faith leaders in San Diego are urging the governor to sign a measure that would ban alcohol sales at self-service checkout counters. A recent test of local retailers shows the current system isn't foolproof [...]

"It was pretty easy," Gamez says. "I grabbed a 12-pack of beer, and a 12-pack of Coke. I scanned the Coke, bagged the beer, paid the money, walked out. As simple as that."

That technique worked nearly seven out of ten times.

Self-Service Checkout Counters: Too Easy For Kids To Buy Booze

On the off chance that one or two of you might actually care about the facts, here's a factual objective assessment of the current reality:

Companies Accelerate Spending as U.S. Productivity Bypasses Jobs - Bloomberg

Excerpt:

“Machines have the upper hand,” Dutta said in a telephone interview from New York. “You see this huge pickup in capital spending, but there isn’t a meaningful increase in employment; it’s being grudgingly pulled along. The consumer is not going to perform the way people expect.”

‘Unprecedented’ Gap

Even though employment tends to lag behind investment early in recoveries, BofA’s Dutta said the current gap is “unprecedented” in the postwar era: Capital expenditures are expanding at an almost 14 percent pace, while job growth stays below zero, according to calculations he based on a six-quarter annualized change from the ends of the recessions.

In addition, the “unintended consequences” of policy changes indicate the government may “undercut its own principal aim of job creation,” he said.

While the tax bill President Barack Obama signed Dec. 17 allows businesses to write off 100 percent of some purchases in 2011, there’s no similar incentive to speed up hiring. The Fed’s commitment to keep its benchmark interest rate near zero for an extended period also facilitates lower-cost financing for machines.

SAN DIEGO — Public officials and faith leaders in San Diego are urging the governor to sign a measure that would ban alcohol sales at self-service checkout counters. A recent test of local retailers shows the current system isn't foolproof [...]

"It was pretty easy," Gamez says. "I grabbed a 12-pack of beer, and a 12-pack of Coke. I scanned the Coke, bagged the beer, paid the money, walked out. As simple as that."

That technique worked nearly seven out of ten times.

Self-Service Checkout Counters: Too Easy For Kids To Buy Booze

Too bad I'm not under 21 anymore because I would definitely have been using that trick.

handjob.gif

handjob.gif

June 15, 2011

Wanna try, again, Grandfeathers?

You said: "....as we all know new tech always has a high price."

So, what.....restructuring (from the oldy/moldy management-styles) is too-expensive to consider???

It doesn't matter whether you're talking hardware, software OR process....we've painted ourselves into an economic-corner, by refusing to discard the old, patriarchal-style of managing businesses....as Germany is proving!!!

Go take a nap.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O6q5P1TCkc]YouTube - ‪Geritol Classic TV Commercial‬‏[/ame]​

I watched a bit of the first youtube and I just had to laugh, it is sad that our young people are this dumb and actually argue for their stupidity? Did this person think history started the day he was born? Since I have started working the change in technology is simply amazing, communication sites that used to employ as many as fifty people round the clock 24 by 7 are now manged remotely, and may get a visitor only if a hardware component needs actual changing. Add automation to outsourcing and you can readily see the power of the machine and the network is a machine. Who could have conceived of networks that allows an Asia Indian the ability to access your PC and fix it. Americans do not even support Americans by buying American today, and wages overseas are killing jobs here. Americans, especially on the right, do one thing machines don't do, they whine and whine and whine and do nothing else.

"A new barbarism, illiteracy and impoverishment of language, new kinds of poverty, merciless remodeling of opinion by media, immiseration of the mind, obsolescence of the soul. Massified, standardizing modes, in every area of life, relentlessly re-enact the actual control program of modernity. Capitalism did not create our world; the machine did." Jean-François Lyotard

Forum List

Back