Obama blames the rise of the machines for high unemployment.

I'm sorry but if you can't comprehend that new technology comes at a price without being told you don't belong in this conversation.

This is remarkable given..

Are you kidding? Look at all the jobs the machines create: invent, production, program with updates, maintain, market & sell, fill. Look at the money in production time they save us. All versus the 1 teller they "may" replace.
It's just sad that our president is so eager to excuse away his own inept policies that his excuse is just as pathetic as the results of his policies.

Automation..as this country has been using it..results in a very big net loss for labor.

Not recognizing that as a factor in the challenge to create jobs is a fool's errand.

(So by the way is trying to have a meaningful discussion with Mr. Shaman. I suspect he's a bot)

That was my point. The person I was talking to denied that it was a given.

On topic though I'm not stupid I know jobs are lost to innovation. But often times better paying jobs are created in the process. This has been the norm in this country since the industrial revolution. To pin blame for unemployment on this issue is like watching amatuer hour at a comedy club.
Why is it Obama can never do wrong? That alone is as absurd as his position on this topic was. Were it GWB you guys would call him a laughing stock.
Are those rose tinted glasses expensive?

Ah, yes....the ol' "Everybody knows...."-pitch, much like John Boner & Eric Cantor insisting "The American people want...", or "The American people say...", or (even) "The American people know...".

It's simply a bullshit tactic to convince people (who don't agree with you) that they're outta-step with "The American people"/"Everybody"-else.

handjob.gif

Our employment-problems are a direct-result o' old-guard business-managers, who still manage to bullshit everyone into believing they (and, they alone) possess all the knowledge, needed, to steer their companies towards prosperity....as-long-as those mega-bonu$e$ keep comin'.

handjob.gif

I'm sorry but if you can't comprehend that new technology comes at a price without being told you don't belong in this conversation.
Wanna try, again, Grandfeathers?

You said: "....as we all know new tech always has a high price."

So, what.....restructuring (from the oldy/moldy management-styles) is too-expensive to consider???

It doesn't matter whether you're talking hardware, software OR process....we've painted ourselves into an economic-corner, by refusing to discard the old, patriarchal-style of managing businesses....as Germany is proving!!!

Go take a nap.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O6q5P1TCkc]YouTube - ‪Geritol Classic TV Commercial‬‏[/ame]​

But I just woke up?!

I watched a bit of the first youtube and I just had to laugh, it is sad that our young people are this dumb and actually argue for their stupidity? Did this person think history started the day he was born? Since I have started working the change in technology is simply amazing, communication sites that used to employ as many as fifty people round the clock 24 by 7 are now manged remotely, and may get a visitor only if a hardware component needs actual changing. Add automation to outsourcing and you can readily see the power of the machine and the network is a machine. Who could have conceived of networks that allows an Asia Indian the ability to access your PC and fix it. Americans do not even support Americans by buying American today, and wages overseas are killing jobs here. Americans, especially on the right, do one thing machines don't do, they whine and whine and whine and do nothing else.
....Least-of-all, answer direct-questions....or, think.

Last edited by a moderator:
While the tax bill President Barack Obama signed Dec. 17 allows businesses to write off 100 percent of some purchases in 2011, there’s no similar incentive to speed up hiring. The Fed’s commitment to keep its benchmark interest rate near zero for an extended period also facilitates lower-cost financing for machines.

I've been saying this all along...we need tax incentives for job creation.

I watched a bit of the first youtube and I just had to laugh, it is sad that our young people are this dumb and actually argue for their stupidity? Did this person think history started the day he was born? Since I have started working the change in technology is simply amazing, communication sites that used to employ as many as fifty people round the clock 24 by 7 are now manged remotely, and may get a visitor only if a hardware component needs actual changing. Add automation to outsourcing and you can readily see the power of the machine and the network is a machine. Who could have conceived of networks that allows an Asia Indian the ability to access your PC and fix it. Americans do not even support Americans by buying American today, and wages overseas are killing jobs here. Americans, especially on the right, do one thing machines don't do, they whine and whine and whine and do nothing else.

"A new barbarism, illiteracy and impoverishment of language, new kinds of poverty, merciless remodeling of opinion by media, immiseration of the mind, obsolescence of the soul. Massified, standardizing modes, in every area of life, relentlessly re-enact the actual control program of modernity. Capitalism did not create our world; the machine did." Jean-François Lyotard

I'm on my phone so I can't highlight your post but at least you got it partially right.

Wages overseas are costing us jobs. But don't forget part of the reason for that "organized labor here" as well as high corporate taxes. But by all means ignore that and blame it on automation.

YouTube - ‪Obama Blames High Unemployment on the ATM and Automation #atmfacts‬‏

YouTube - ‪Obama claims atms are killing jobs‬‏

Are you kidding? Look at all the jobs the machines create: invent, production, program with updates, maintain, market & sell, fill. Look at the money in production time they save us. All versus the 1 teller they "may" replace.
It's just sad that our president is so eager to excuse away his own inept policies that his excuse is just as pathetic as the results of his policies.

This is a prank. No way Obama is THAT fucking stupid.

57 states ok, but this?

Nobody is blaming ALL of our job loss issues on automation, but it is a contributing factor.

As I've stated several times. Of course its part of it as it has been since the early 1900's. But when confronted with the question about our economy "THIS" is Obama's answer? How many of the unemployed lost their jobs in this downturn to this issue? Is there a machine that now sells cars, houses, remodeling services, heavy construction, teaching, police, etc....
Give me a break.

THE LEFT WOULD HAVE TARED AND FEATHERED BUSH HAD HE SAID THIS

So, what.....restructuring (from the oldy/moldy management-styles) is too-expensive to consider???

It doesn't matter whether you're talking hardware, software OR process....we've painted ourselves into an economic-corner, by refusing to discard the old, patriarchal-style of managing businesses....as Germany is proving!!!

Go take a nap.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O6q5P1TCkc]YouTube - ‪Geritol Classic TV Commercial‬‏[/ame]​

But I just woke up?!
Not quite.....

For TOO long, people have insisted there'll always be a conflict between business, government & labor; that they CAN'T work-together, successfully!

Germany's PROVING otherwise!!​

While the tax bill President Barack Obama signed Dec. 17 allows businesses to write off 100 percent of some purchases in 2011, there’s no similar incentive to speed up hiring. The Fed’s commitment to keep its benchmark interest rate near zero for an extended period also facilitates lower-cost financing for machines.

I've been saying this all along...we need tax incentives for job creation.
CEOs need LARGER bonu$e$?????

:eusa_eh:

Go take a nap.

YouTube - ‪Geritol Classic TV Commercial‬‏

But I just woke up?!
Not quite.....

For TOO long, people have insisted there'll always be a conflict between business, government & labor; that they CAN'T work-together, successfully!

I'm sorry but I have no idea what your post has to do with obamas statement. I don't care about what they are doing in Germany. And we don't need govt and business working together, we need govt to get the hell out of our business.

But I just woke up?!
Not quite.....

I don't care about what they are doing in Germany. And we don't need govt and business working together, we need govt to get the hell out of our business.
Spoken like a true U.S. CEO; The old ways are workin' just FINE!!

(....Especially for the CEOs.)​

Automation..as this country has been using it..results in a very big net loss for labor.

Not recognizing that as a factor in the challenge to create jobs is a fool's errand.

(So by the way is trying to have a meaningful discussion with Mr. Shaman. I suspect he's a bot)

On topic though I'm not stupid I know jobs are lost to innovation. But often times better paying jobs are created in the process. This has been the norm in this country since the industrial revolution. To pin blame for unemployment on this issue is like watching amatuer hour at a comedy club.
Why is it Obama can never do wrong? That alone is as absurd as his position on this topic was. Were it GWB you guys would call him a laughing stock.

Are you kidding? I've posted threads about things I've thought Obama has gotten wrong, like extending the Bush tax cuts, our continued war in Afghanistan, and trying to include bat shit crazy republicans into policy.

For the first time in history..corporations are spending more on "machines" then they are on new hires. That shouldn't be concern? That shouldn't be addressed?

That might mean a re-tooling of skill sets for many..which means..financing proper education programs to do that.

Conservatives are dead set against that. One of the issues holding up trade agreements with South Korea is a provision to re-train workers displaced by the pact. Who's against that? Conservatives in Congress..of course. They want the agreement without that provision.

It's no wonder that conservatives are pooh-poohing this issue.

Hope and change and...excuses, excuses, excuses.

Gee, if only the shovel companies had ramped up production the stimulus would have worked!
Republican-politicians surely did enjoy handing-out those check$!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w894xqReOdo]YouTube - ‪Rachel Maddow Exposes Republican Hypocrisy For What It Is......BS.flv‬‏[/ame]​

....Least-of-all, answer direct-questions....or, think.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKKKgua7wQk]YouTube - ‪SARAH PALIN BOOK SIGNING - Interviews with Supporters‬‏[/ame]​

Winston Churchill was wrong, the best argument against democracy is not a five minute conversation with an average voter, in America it is a one minute conversation with a Palin book reader. That was sad, but perfectly summed up the level of knowledge and sense in our country. I give the interviewer great credit for his even handed questions. He could have asked a real trick question, did they read any newspapers. And the study that Fox media has made America dumber is confirmed once again.

Hope and change and...excuses, excuses, excuses.

Gee, if only the shovel companies had ramped up production the stimulus would have worked!

Naw.

"Shovel-Ready" means building things. You know..like America USED to do.

For conservatives "Shovel-Ready" means blocking things...like if a bridge is about to collapse in your state..and it needs repair..a Conservative govenor goes "What Bridge"..till it falls down. Then he says "We had no way of knowing".

So when conservatives pat themselves on the back for morons like Christie when he blocks construction of a new tunnel from Jersey to Manhattan.

Or when Governor Rick Scott refuses high speed rail projects.

It's appalling when they are the first to ask "Where are the jobs?"

As in "Oh, the jobs you continue to block?"

Are you kidding? I've posted threads about things I've thought Obama has gotten wrong, like extending the Bush tax cuts, our continued war in Afghanistan, and trying to include bat shit crazy republicans into policy.

For the first time in history..corporations are spending more on "machines" then they are on new hires. That shouldn't be concern? That shouldn't be addressed?

That might mean a re-tooling of skill sets for many..which means..financing proper education programs to do that.

Conservatives are dead set against that. One of the issues holding up trade agreements with South Korea is a provision to re-train workers displaced by the pact. Who's against that? Conservatives in Congress..of course. They want the agreement without that provision.

It's no wonder that conservatives are pooh-poohing this issue.

My apologies. I've only been here a few days so I'm not familial with your critiquing of Obama. Having said that I wasn't speaking of you in particular so much as the left in general.

"But Economists Agree With Obama's Suggestion That Technology Advancements Have Displaced Workers."

HERE...

....ya' go.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back