Obama ‘amused’ by ‘strict interpreters of the Constitution’ inventing ways to block Scalia replaceme

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
Obama ‘amused’ by ‘strict interpreters of the Constitution’ inventing ways to block Scalia replaceme

Source: Reuters
President Barack Obama on Tuesday vowed to pick an indisputably qualified nominee for the Supreme Court and chided Republicans who control the U.S. Senate for threatening to block him from filling the pivotal vacancy.

Obama told senators he has a constitutional duty to nominate a new justice after Saturday’s death of conservative Justice Antonin Scalia and reminded them of their constitutional obligation to “do their job” and vote to approve or reject his nominee.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has said the seat on the nation’s highest court should remain vacant until Obama’s successor takes office in January so voters can have a say on the selection when they cast ballots in the Nov. 8 presidential election.

“I’m amused when I hear people who claim to be strict interpreters of the Constitution suddenly reading into it a whole series of provisions that are not there,” Obama said.

Read more: Obama ‘amused’ by ‘strict interpreters of the Constitution’ inventing ways to block Scalia replacement

Obama is 100% right! Obama is a professor in the constitution and my reading of it tells me that he is right! ;) The idea that we need to go back 1780's is pure idiocy. Pretty much we'd have to throw away 90% of all the court cases of the past 230 years if this was even close to be true. bs.

President Barack Obama on Tuesday vowed to pick an indisputably qualified nominee for the Supreme Court and chided Republicans who control the U.S. Senate for threatening to block him from filling the pivotal vacancy.

Obama told senators he has a constitutional duty to nominate a new justice after Saturday’s death of conservative Justice Antonin Scalia and reminded them of their constitutional obligation to “do their job” and vote to approve or reject his nominee.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has said the seat on the nation’s highest court should remain vacant until Obama’s successor takes office in January so voters can have a say on the selection when they cast ballots in the Nov. 8 presidential election.

“I’m amused when I hear people who claim to be strict interpreters of the Constitution suddenly reading into it a whole series of provisions that are not there,” Obama said.

Read more: Obama ‘amused’ by ‘strict interpreters of the Constitution’ inventing ways to block Scalia replacement

Obama is 100% right! Obama is a professor in the constitution and my reading of it tells me that he is right! ;) The idea that we need to go back 1780's is pure idiocy. Pretty much we'd have to throw away 90% of all the court cases of the past 230 years if this was even close to be true. bs.

of course he's right. but wingers are always selective in their "strict interpretation" anyway.

Let him nominate and let the Senate vote....see how it plays out. Obungles is as much a Constitutional expert as I am an astronaut

The Constitution ALSO does not say we need to select a Justice based on legal experience and years on the bench as a judge, etc. The Constitution is silent on the qualifications for a judge.

I would go by the CODE OF ETHICS FOR GOVT SERVICE
ethics-commission.net
http://www.isocracytx.net/ec/ethicscode.doc

If the President and Senate can find a candidate who recognizes political beliefs and will not approve any law or ruling that favors one political belief or faith based bias over another, but puts the Constitution first and remains neutral where ALL people of ALL beliefs, creeds, and parties are included and represented equally, then that would be a fair person to fill the tiebreaking position.

If it's going to be more rightsided or leftsided politics, I would say NO to any such candidate who can't either resolve such beliefs or separate them from govt and keep the conflicts to the individuals and parties to work out.

Case law history does not amend the Constitution. Except where amended by the mandated process, it means what it meant when written.

of course he's right. but wingers are always selective in their "strict interpretation" anyway.

Dear jillian EVERYONE is.
Look at the liberals yelling about "freedom of choice without regulation by govt" and "separation of church and state" when it comes to OTHER people's beliefs.

But when it comes to THEIR beliefs about marriage or health care,
suddenly then the truth must be established according to what they believe, regardless if it's faith based. As long as it's not "religious" then it's okay to impose THEIR BELIEFS on others.

So secular beliefs are treated specially while other types of beliefs don't get the same "favored status" but these are excluded from govt.

If you can't see that, well, that's more "selective" interpretation for ya!

Case law history does not amend the Constitution. Except where amended by the mandated process, it means what it meant when written.
What it means has changed.

Let him nominate and let the Senate vote....see how it plays out. Obungles is as much a Constitutional expert as I am an astronaut
I'm afraid once it gets to the senate floor for debate its over
Like I keep saying. Liberalism marches forward no matter what. Obama will get his 3rd scotus before the end of the year, is my prediction
Sad but true.

Like I keep saying. Liberalism marches forward no matter what. Obama will get his 3rd scotus before the end of the year, is my prediction
Sad but true.

If the republicans somehow manage to grow a spine and a pair they can stop him...if they can do that remains to be seen

Sad but true.

What is so bad about it? The only thing you seem to care about is the rich taking all the wealth in this country and your bible morality being forced on everyone.

Sad but true.
That's part of his job.

And would you site for me what part of the constitution I don't follow; since I'm president of the rwnj's on this forum????

Sad but true.

If the republicans somehow manage to grow a spine and a pair they can stop him...if they can do that remains to be seen

The court can't go a year without a justice.

And would you site for me what part of the constitution I don't follow; since I'm president of the rwnj's on this forum????

The senate needs to vote up or down on his selection.

Sad but true.

They will be in violation of the law.

Sad but true.

We'll see won't we?

Sad but true.

We'll see won't we?
Who's we ? You got a dick in your pocket?

Sad but true.

What is so bad about it? The only thing you seem to care about is the rich taking all the wealth in this country and your bible morality being forced on everyone.
And what's so bad about that?

the president SHALL nominate and the senate SHALL ADVISE AND CONSENT

it doesn't say... if he feels like

it doesn't say... if he's in the last year in office

it doesn't say if there's a divided government

it says SHALL NOMINATE.

i think that's pretty clear.

is that what you wanted to know?

or should we talk about the other areas where the right is selective?

Sad but true.

And what's so bad about that?
Everything!

Forum List

Back