Obama Administration Struggling to Live Up to Transparency Pledges

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
Transparency was a watchword of President Obama's campaign.

But 50 days into his administration, the new president is still struggling to live up to his pledge to hold himself to what he called "a new standard of openness."

Already, the administration has violated a campaign promise to post bills ready for Obama's signature online for five full days before they become law.

In three cases, Obama signed legislation well within that window -- with a fair-pay law, an expansion of health insurance for children and the $787 billion economic stimulus package.

Melanie Sloan, director of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, said it's too early to give Obama a clear grade on transparency.

"Have they done it right on every occasion? Clearly, no," she said. "They seem to be making an effort."

Obama Administration Struggling to Live Up to Transparency Pledges - First 100 Days of Presidency - Politics FOXNews.com

Because claiming to make the effort is what counts.:lol:

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

But 50 days into his administration, the new president is still struggling to live up to his pledge to hold himself to what he called "a new standard of openness."

Already, the administration has violated a campaign promise to post bills ready for Obama's signature online for five full days before they become law.

In three cases, Obama signed legislation well within that window -- with a fair-pay law, an expansion of health insurance for children and the $787 billion economic stimulus package.

Melanie Sloan, director of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, said it's too early to give Obama a clear grade on transparency.

"Have they done it right on every occasion? Clearly, no," she said. "They seem to be making an effort."

Obama Administration Struggling to Live Up to Transparency Pledges - First 100 Days of Presidency - Politics FOXNews.com

I guess they are supposed to meet every promise right away. For Example, posting bills online for 5 full days before they become law. Do you know what it takes to set that up? Do you even have a clue about that? File feeds, servers, data mapping... It's not easy, and it takes time. So if they do that by next year..wouldn't that be meeting the promise. Seriously, you can come up with something better than this... How about hitting Obama for his spending after Bush ran up a 1.25 TRILLION dollar deficit during his administration.

Bush put us into debt to take down Iraq and then to help rebuild it. Nah, we couldn't have used that money here. We had to take down the big bad terrorists and their invisible WMD's. LOL.

I guess they are supposed to meet every promise right away. For Example, posting bills online for 5 full days before they become law. Do you know what it takes to set that up? Do you even have a clue about that? File feeds, servers, data mapping... It's not easy, and it takes time. So if they do that by next year..wouldn't that be meeting the promise. Seriously, you can come up with something better than this... How about hitting Obama for his spending after Bush ran up a 1.25 TRILLION dollar deficit during his administration.

Bush put us into debt to take down Iraq and then to help rebuild it. Nah, we couldn't have used that money here. We had to take down the big bad terrorists and their invisible WMD's. LOL.

Easy smeasy,, don't promise what ya can't deliver.. you lose yer credibility.. not that you ever had any..

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
I'm just saying..Did Obama say that he would have that implemented in 3 months? No he didn't. He said he would do it. So, you have to give him time to do it. You republicans really are stupid. It can be done..It just takes some time to set that up. I guess Obama had to spell that out for all the stupid people in America who think websites and file feeds just happen overnight.

Transparency is not something that takes time to implement. It's something you either do, or something you don't do. So is earmark spending. Either you allow it, or you don't.

Well yeah...cuz it's toooo hard darn it. You know how worn out Obama is now... Give him a break...sheesh.

I guess it's useless to reason with a republican. You all think that all of Obamas promises have to implemented overnight. And if it doesn't happen overnight then it's a broken promise. Just simply amazing. It's obvious none of you understand the time it takes to implement what the writer of the article is complaining about. Complaining that the website isn't implemented now with the bill information is just hilarious. I guess none of you ever worked in a technology division. All you understand is Small, medium or large. :cool:

I guess it's useless to reason with a republican. You all think that all of Obamas promises have to implemented overnight. And if it doesn't happen overnight then it's a broken promise. Just simply amazing. It's obvious none of you understand the time it takes to implement what the writer of the article is complaining about. Complaining that the website isn't implemented now with the bill information is just hilarious. I guess none of you ever worked in a technology division. All you understand is Small, medium or large. :cool:

Obama demands transparency so much even the members of Congress were not allowed time to read the stimulus bill, let alone the public.

C'mon now, you cannot be serious. This administration has said one thing but done entirely another from day one.

What we understand is if someone says they are going to do something, then they should do it.

BO said, "I will...."

Not, "In 2 years, I will..."

He has done things he said he would not do.

He has been less than truthful.

Nice list of excuses and attempted deflections.

The original point STILL remains. And please ... attack ME because Obama can't live up to HIS promise. I sure as Hell didn't make it.

Your failure is complete.:lol:

How is it that Obama, with his troop of internet warriors couldn't at least have posted the bill on his existing website? Please don't say that it couldn't be done because otherwise groups like Heritage Foundation would not be able to post complete bills as quickly as they do.

Obama demands transparency so much even the members of Congress were not allowed time to read the stimulus bill, let alone the public.

C'mon now, you cannot be serious. This administration has said one thing but done entirely another from day one.

Much like they close down debate on everything that comes down the pike too. Now that's transparency you can believe in..

I set up bigger and more complex things for the government in much less than 50 days... in much less than 30 days... in much less than 10 days

Setting up the servers, websites, etc is not that fucking difficult

ok how long does it take to set up a website and post a document......

Exactly! I have had it done in less than 8 hours.

Obama tells us what people want to hear - but does little to actually follow through, and without a media to hold him accountable - he doesn't have to.

I think Obama is the poster child of the affects of dummying down our Public Education System. Remember even if you lose, all are winners in his mind.

What I don't understand is how people like you continue to bash Bush over his deficit spending, which by the way, Republicans were not happy about, yet you think nothing of the fact that Obama is going to beat Bush's deficit spending for eight years during his first year.

The most likely result is that Obama will double the entire deficit, as Bush did, within eight years if he is re-elected. Here is the real problem; under Bush, the economy grew and the deficit as a percentage of GDP didn't increase as much as the real dollars. However, at this time, with the economy shrinking and some real doubt as to whether or not all this spending will really help, it is very likely that the debt will grow significantly as a percentage of GDP, making it much more expensive to just make the interest payments. We are heading into territory not visited since WWII. On top of this, it is unlikely that we have the ability to grow the economy as much in the future as we have from WWII to present. That is not a given, but to do so would most likely mean a population increase of 300 million more people, and I'm not certain we want to go there.

• Thanks
Reactions: Jon
auditor0007, you make too much sense for some to understand.

• Thanks
Reactions: Jon

Exactly! I have had it done in less than 8 hours.

Obama tells us what people want to hear - but does little to actually follow through, and without a media to hold him accountable - he doesn't have to.
8 hours?
thats if you are starting from scratch
LOL
if they cant get it on in less than an hour they are taking too many breaks

I set up bigger and more complex things for the government in much less than 50 days... in much less than 30 days... in much less than 10 days

Setting up the servers, websites, etc is not that fucking difficult
especially when THEY ALREADY HAVE THEM

Forum List

Back