NYC Mayor implements new plan to take back the Subway system

martybegan

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2010
Eric Adams’ NYC subway safety crackdown in effect starting today

Mayor Eric Adams’ new subway safety plan goes into effect Monday after a spate of violent transit incidents over the weekend.

Teams of NYPD cops and outreach workers are set to start canvassing trains and subway stations across the city under the mayor’s plan to crack down on rule-breaking and eliminate homelessness.

The teams will also seek to identify mentally ill and homeless people in a bid to stop them from living on trains and in the stations — and work to get them the treatment they need.

The problem is there is ZERO mechanism to force the mentally ill or the druggies to either stay in treatment, or even stay in the shelter system. You try to help them, they refuse, and back into the trains and stations they go.

They also got used to being left alone during COVID while the system was empty. Now people are back and they don't want to share their spaces, hence the uptick in assaults on passengers

Progressives measure programs like helping the homeless and helping drug addicts by how much money they spend, not on any actual measurable metric. It keeps the spigot open, the civil servants and the charity/advocacy people employed, and allows them to say they are "doing something" when nothing actually changes.

The "mechanism" needed are laws and money, something every state needs to deal with these problems.

The problem is there is ZERO mechanism to force the mentally ill or the druggies to either stay in treatment, or even stay in the shelter system. You try to help them, they refuse, and back into the trains and stations they go.

They also got used to being left alone during COVID while the system was empty. Now people are back and they don't want to share their spaces, hence the uptick in assaults on passengers

Progressives measure programs like helping the homeless and helping drug addicts by how much money they spend, not on any actual measurable metric. It keeps the spigot open, the civil servants and the charity/advocacy people employed, and allows them to say they are "doing something" when nothing actually changes.

LOL. The leftists who run that shithole LOVE the crime. They're not going to do anything to even slow it down. It's too good for business.

Two sides. Both thorny.

On the one hand, the homeless and the mentally I’ll are often one in the same. Criminal law enforcement for either problem is the wrong tool. A person isn’t a criminal by virtue of being either homeless or mentally (or both).

On the other hand, our society and the courts have come down on the side of individual liberty and freedom for street homeless and even for mentally ill individuals. So, no matter that they may pose a threat to other people’s safety or to the use (and sanitation) of our subway system and sidewalks, absent other specific circumstances, even an army of social workers can’t actually compel them to get off the subway cars or the streets and alleyways, etc.

The relatively sharp (former) “line” between (a) the right of society to have clean and safe public transport and streets and (b) the right of individuals to be free of unwarranted government intrusions (which serves to undermine the prior societal right) has gotten blurred or even erased over time.

If we truly want to address this problem, there is going to have to be a general consensus reached by our entire society on which “right” takes precedence. I am leaning one way; but I have to say that I don’t see this as an easy fix.

Remember when Giuliani made NYC comparatively safer for visitors to come and enjoy the city? ….. cue in the non-related “but Giuliani supported Trump”.

There is nothing wrong with “cracking down” on crime or creating deterrents. Also, history has a tendency to repeat itself. Victims or potential victims are going take matters into their own hands. Look at the egregious attacks on Asians in NYC of recent. I think we are going to see an Asian victim turn the tables on an assailant with a firearm.

Round all the homeless up and send them to California. The weather is nicer, they will give them money, clean drug periphals and let them steal what they need.

I hope he is successful.

As someone who rides the subways he has a Sisyphean task ahead of him…

It's fair to say that he is a reactive mayor who plays the race card when he is in trouble and he is always in trouble. NYC is going to lose tourist money and small business and probably corporate headquarters before New Yorkers get smart and throw the bum out.

1. Enforce vagrancy/public nuisance laws.
2. Probation with mandatory treatment program.
3. Violation of probation, involuntary treatment incarceration.
4. Rinse, dry, repeat.

It's fair to say that he is a reactive mayor who plays the race card when he is in trouble and he is always in trouble. NYC is going to lose tourist money and small business and probably corporate headquarters before New Yorkers get smart and throw the bum out.
OTOH, maybe tourists will come to NYC just to see how bad it is. ;)

Two sides. Both thorny.

On the one hand, the homeless and the mentally I’ll are often one in the same. Criminal law enforcement for either problem is the wrong tool. A person isn’t a criminal by virtue of being either homeless or mentally (or both).

On the other hand, our society and the courts have come down on the side of individual liberty and freedom for street homeless and even for mentally ill individuals. So, no matter that they may pose a threat to other people’s safety or to the use (and sanitation) of our subway system and sidewalks, absent other specific circumstances, even an army of social workers can’t actually compel them to get off the subway cars or the streets and alleyways, etc.

The relatively sharp (former) “line” between (a) the right of society to have clean and safe public transport and streets and (b) the right of individuals to be free of unwarranted government intrusions (which serves to undermine the prior societal right) has gotten blurred or even erased over time.

If we truly want to address this problem, there is going to have to be a general consensus reached by our entire society on which “right” takes precedence. I am leaning one way; but I have to say that I don’t see this as an easy fix.

There has to be a mechanism to get them into some type of treatment as well as containment against their will when they can't even take care of themselves.

I hate to use the term "camps" but at this point the other option, just leaving them on the streets/on the trains/in the stations isn't working.

Remember when Giuliani made NYC comparatively safer for visitors to come and enjoy the city? ….. cue in the non-related “but Giuliani supported Trump”.

There is nothing wrong with “cracking down” on crime or creating deterrents. Also, history has a tendency to repeat itself. Victims or potential victims are going take matters into their own hands. Look at the egregious attacks on Asians in NYC of recent. I think we are going to see an Asian victim turn the tables on an assailant with a firearm.

He implemented what is called "broken windows" policing and held police brass accountable for crime in their precincts.

Bring back the Guardian Angels

It's such a hard decision, if I only have one city killing asteroid should I send it to DC or NYC.....I'm so sick of hearing of NYC it makes me want to puke coat-hangers.

If you gauge the entry angle just right, maybe it will break apart into two pieces sending one part to each city! :happy-1:

Best of all, the resulting fallout and cloud of smoke would all drift out over the water and head straight for Europe!

Forum List

Back