nyc churches banned from helping homeless

So the State owns the homeless now. I wonder if they know that?

Well, apparently they own the churches now, since they feel free to tell them who they can have on their own, private property. What's next? A city ordinance telling me that I can't decide to bring a homeless person home to sleep in my spare bedroom unless I'm willing to do so five nights a week?

I imagine there is some rationale for it but not allowing churches to provide shelter is a bit baffling.

I have no doubt that it has to do with red tape, regulations, and some dumbshit bureaucrat hyper-interpreting the rules in order to feel powerful and important.

Isn't that what it usually is in these cases?

I have no doubt that it has to do with red tape, regulations, and some dumbshit bureaucrat hyper-interpreting the rules in order to feel powerful and important.

Isn't that what it usually is in these cases?

true---run into that horseshit all the time with Red Cross.
9 out of 10 times someone needs the numbers for money.

Well, apparently they own the churches now, since they feel free to tell them who they can have on their own, private property. What's next? A city ordinance telling me that I can't decide to bring a homeless person home to sleep in my spare bedroom unless I'm willing to do so five nights a week?
You probably aren't upset when they tell churches they aren't allowed to help undocumented people, I'm guessing.

Nobody who asks this question has ever lived in NYC. It's much more complicated than "strollingbones" take on it. It's not as simple as "churches good, city bad." St. Patrick's Cathedral, for instance, had a policy of allowing homeless on its steps. So, they gathered there, pissed on the steps, harassed tourists, you name it. They were a fucking menace. The city said to to the church, "get them the hell out of here, and if you won't, we will." It HAD TO BE DONE.

Idea for you liberal assholes: go out to a big city with a large van. Round up all the homeless you can and bring them back to your house, indefinitely. Then get back to us in a few weeks.

Can't. The homeowners association won't allow more than 2 guests at a time, and guests staying longer than 7 days must register and pay a day-use fee.

Fuckin' governments. Can't even have friends.

-Joe

Last edited:
Nobody who asks this question has ever lived in NYC. It's much more complicated than "strollingbones" take on it. It's not as simple as "churches good, city bad." St. Patrick's Cathedral, for instance, had a policy of allowing homeless on its steps. So, they gathered there, pissed on the steps, harassed tourists, you name it. They were a fucking menace. The city said to to the church, "get them the hell out of here, and if you won't, we will." It HAD TO BE DONE.

Idea for you liberal assholes: go out to a big city with a large van. Round up all the homeless you can and bring them back to your house, indefinitely. Then get back to us in a few weeks.

Well, I had a homeless man living in my house for two years. YOU?

Why is it only churches that can't do it for 5 nights they were told to stop????

If they are going to allow the homeless only "on their steps", then yes, they should provide a port a potty for them. I thought we were talking about homeless that were provided beds and places INSIDE the churches to sleep.

And again, this is VOLUNTARY, you don't like it, don't go to that church, or get the people in your church to vote against allowing it.

Interesting that so many that are terrified that they've lost civil rights due to the Patriot Act don't seem to notice the loss of personal rights in situations like this.

Often being homeless is as well.

Regardless, it is a misdemeanor and the government has no right to make churches enforce federal immigration law.

how many of those 2.5 million jobs your president is going to create are you willing for the illegals to have??? undocumented, working under the table, sending their money home,, they're gonna fall into a bonanza..tickles the crap outta me,, and don't complain they're just looking for a better life! I'm all for it,, we are a generous people are we not?

Maybe dillo and cecily can get jobs with the churches screening the homeless for immigration status.

give that up,, your president wooed the hispanics to vote for him,, he will always let the illegals come here and take your jobs,, or risk angering his voter block,, it's a done deal.. you work for them now..

I hope the churches are not going to pay much attention to this stupid law.

The right of Churches to grant sanctuary is WAY OLDER than the United States of America.

In fact that common law is older than most European governments, too.

no one can be homeless under an Obama administration.

Dimocrats will win the war against homelessness by attrition and hypothermia

And even if that don't work right off and they are spotted out and about,they will just be sent to get free hair cuts and shipped to the movies until the coast is clear again...Or until the next frost sets in.

Forum List

Back