nyc churches banned from helping homeless

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by strollingbones, Nov 22, 2008.

1. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    NYC Churches Ordered Not To Shelter Homeless
    NEW YORK (CBS) ― City officials have ordered 22 New York churches to stop providing beds to homeless people.

With temperatures well below freezing early Saturday, the churches must obey a city rule requiring faith-based shelters to be open at least five days a week -- or not at all.

Arnold Cohen, president of the Partnership for the Homeless, a nonprofit that serves as a link with the city, said he had to tell the churches they no longer qualify.

He said hundreds of people now won't have a place to sleep.

The Department of Homeless Services said the city offers other shelters with the capacity to accept all those who have been sleeping in the churches. The city had 8,000 beds waiting.

Last year, four unsheltered homeless people died in the city during cold weather, so three dozen emergency outreach teams were prepped to respond to reports of homeless people outdoors or in the subways.

"We really don't want people sleeping on the streets, on grates, on church steps. We want people sleeping in beds," said Homeless Commissioner Robert Hess.

The homeless can be coaxed indoors but not forced unless their life is in danger.

wcbstv.com - NYC Churches Ordered Not To Shelter Homeless

i am stunned by this..why would they order this....many churches may be only able to provide a few days aid but a few days is better than nothing...how can you mandate charity? or the level of what one must give?
    i am sure many of the homeless using the churches beds were women with small children....the normal city ran shelters are more violent and not suited for small kids....or women....they really arent that suited for anyone...so anyone in the nyc area got a rational behind this?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Isolde

Isolde Knucklehead

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121
    I don't know. Hey, remember how all we heard about was homeless during the Reagan/Bush I years and then *poof* they disappeared? Maybe they are just "thinning" the ranks. Happy Happy!

3. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
    So the State owns the homeless now. I wonder if they know that?

4. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Separation of church and state ?

5. DavidS

DavidS Anti-Tea Party Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +767
    Reminds me of the Guilliani days. Sad to see this. I doubt the churches will listen.

It's quite disgusting - especially with how cold it's been lately. In my belief, a society should be judged on how it treats its most vulnerable. These people, who suffer from severe depression, should be given top knotch care. If we treat the people with no money like gold, imagine how we treat the people WITH money. Instead, our oligarchy society only treats the rich like decent human beings. We're so busy thinking of ourselves and ways to get the rich richer, no one cares about the forgotten members of our society... the people who tried and failed.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  6. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,720

because churches have white religious people in them,, get the hell over it,,

7. AVG-JOE

AVG-JOE American Mutt Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,017
    I asked a missionary one time why he was taking a group to Mexico to build houses and shelters when there was so much need right here in Washington State...

He told me that the Mexican Government was easier to work with and the unions in America made it impossible to help the homeless here.

How stupid we must look from space. No wonder visitors remain incognito...

-Joe

8. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,093
    no one can be homeless under an Obama administration.

Dimocrats will win the war against homelessness by attrition and hypothermia

9. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,720
    It's gonna be illegal to be homeless and without health insurance.. :tongue:

10. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
    You know what will be funny? When a homeless person dies because the State said a church couldn't take them in. Oh, that'll be hilarious!!! :eek: