Nuclear meltdown in Japan reactor?

And how well are plans worked out for other reactors? We have several near faults. Some near seashore. Given the arrogance with which that particular engineer dismissed the possibility of the situation getting out of hand, he wrote that three days after the quake and tsunami, how many other such foolish assumptions are we operating on in our own plants?

Unfortunately for the whole nuclear industry, this is exactly what you and other nuclear boosters have been saying could not possibly happen. And now it is happening, and still getting worse. The outcome has the potential to still get even worse.

You and others here were quick to state it could not reach this point. Now you are stating that it will not get worse. As much as I hope that you are correct, and this will be as bad as it gets, I think that hope has little chance.

Wrong again. You just love putting words in peoples mouths don't you? Regardless, no one in my field will ever discount the capability of humans to be stupid and or arrogant to the point where something like this happens. However, we have a very good model of how Nuke plants can be run. They have been doing it for a very long time and have never had a problem. Let's see if you can figure out who I'm talking about.
Must be the Japanese. They've had a perfect record until now.

And the paragraph I referenced is still valid. The immediate area around the reactors is toast, no argument. However, just like TMI, no one is going to die (unless they do something really stupid) and in a few years they will be able to start de-comissioning the reactors.

No one is defending the actions of the TEPCO here either. If you bother to look one post I made takes them to task for being incredibly arrogant nd believeing they didn't have to pay attention to the potential problems that would arise from an earthquake.

This is a case of operator error. Had they done the simple thing of placing their diesel generators on the roof's of the containment buildings there would not be the disaster occuring. That simple thing would have prevented all of it.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure is very clearly demonstrated in this case.
Yeah, operator error leads to boneheaded plans to spray plastic or throw a tarp over a nuclear accident.

Operator error equals humans being in over their heads.

No, it doesn't. They weren't in over their heads. They allowed their innate arrogance to get the better of them and not follow a very simple safety protocol. It's unbelievable that it happened and even more ridiculous is how inept they were immediately following the disaster. And all of it broken down to arrogance and not having a plan worked out before hand.
Speaking of arrogance, you seem to suffer from it quite badly. We don't KNOW if putting the generators higher would have solved the problem.

The Japan crisis, which began with an electricity outage, has also drawn attention to backup power. Experts say that the tsunami either waterlogged backup diesel generators, destroyed fuel tanks or flooded switch gears needed to hook up the generators — or all three.
Japan crisis spawns new look at U.S. reactors’ design and preparedness - The Washington Post

For all of those who dismiss the Japan nuclear reactor disaster comparison to Chernobyl, let me just calmly ask you to consider the highlighted portion of the following article (linked in Drudge this afternoon):

Japan ups nuke crisis severity to match Chernobyl
Apr 12, 6:25 AM (ET)

By YURI KAGEYAMA and RYAN NAKASHIMA

(AP)

TOKYO (AP) - Japan raised the crisis level at its crippled nuclear plant Tuesday to a severity on par with the 1986 Chernobyl disaster, citing high overall radiation leaks that have contaminated the air, tap water, vegetables and seawater.

Japanese nuclear regulators said they raised the rating from 5 to 7 - the highest level on an international scale of nuclear accidents overseen by the International Atomic Energy Agency - after new assessments of radiation leaks from the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant since it was disabled by the March 11 tsunami.

The new ranking signifies a "major accident" that includes widespread effects on the environment and health, according to the Vienna-based IAEA. But Japanese officials played down any health effects and stressed that the harm caused by Chernobyl still far outweighs that caused by the Fukushima plant.

The revision came a day after the government added five communities to a list of places people should leave to avoid long-term radiation exposure. A 12-mile (20-kilometer) radius already had been cleared around the plant.

The news was received with chagrin by residents in Iitate, one of the five communities, where high levels of radiation have been detected in the soil. The village of 6,200 people is about 40 kilometers from the Fukushima plant.

"It's very shocking to me," said Miyuki Ichisawa, 52, who runs a coffee shop in Iitate. "Now the government is officially telling us this accident is at the same level of Chernobyl."

Japanese officials said the leaks from the Fukushima plant so far amount to a tenth of the radiation emitted in the Chernobyl disaster, but said they eventually could exceed Chernobyl's emissions if the crisis continues.

My Way News - Japan ups nuke crisis severity to match Chernobyl

Does anybody reasonably predict the crisis NOT continuing?

For all of those who dismiss the Japan nuclear reactor disaster comparison to Chernobyl, let me just calmly ask you to consider the highlighted portion of the following article (linked in Drudge this afternoon):

(AP)

TOKYO (AP) - Japan raised the crisis level at its crippled nuclear plant Tuesday to a severity on par with the 1986 Chernobyl disaster, citing high overall radiation leaks that have contaminated the air, tap water, vegetables and seawater.

Japanese nuclear regulators said they raised the rating from 5 to 7 - the highest level on an international scale of nuclear accidents overseen by the International Atomic Energy Agency - after new assessments of radiation leaks from the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant since it was disabled by the March 11 tsunami.

The new ranking signifies a "major accident" that includes widespread effects on the environment and health, according to the Vienna-based IAEA. But Japanese officials played down any health effects and stressed that the harm caused by Chernobyl still far outweighs that caused by the Fukushima plant.

The revision came a day after the government added five communities to a list of places people should leave to avoid long-term radiation exposure. A 12-mile (20-kilometer) radius already had been cleared around the plant.

The news was received with chagrin by residents in Iitate, one of the five communities, where high levels of radiation have been detected in the soil. The village of 6,200 people is about 40 kilometers from the Fukushima plant.

"It's very shocking to me," said Miyuki Ichisawa, 52, who runs a coffee shop in Iitate. "Now the government is officially telling us this accident is at the same level of Chernobyl."

Japanese officials said the leaks from the Fukushima plant so far amount to a tenth of the radiation emitted in the Chernobyl disaster, but said they eventually could exceed Chernobyl's emissions if the crisis continues.

Not that I'm aware of. The crisis is going to continue for quite a while and as it sits I would not be surprised if the amount of emissions comes close to that emitted by Cernobyl. It is still a much different animal. Locally it is going to be devestating, no question, but globally it will not be a big deal.

And how well are plans worked out for other reactors? We have several near faults. Some near seashore. Given the arrogance with which that particular engineer dismissed the possibility of the situation getting out of hand, he wrote that three days after the quake and tsunami, how many other such foolish assumptions are we operating on in our own plants?

Unfortunately for the whole nuclear industry, this is exactly what you and other nuclear boosters have been saying could not possibly happen. And now it is happening, and still getting worse. The outcome has the potential to still get even worse.

You and others here were quick to state it could not reach this point. Now you are stating that it will not get worse. As much as I hope that you are correct, and this will be as bad as it gets, I think that hope has little chance.

Wrong again. You just love putting words in peoples mouths don't you? Regardless, no one in my field will ever discount the capability of humans to be stupid and or arrogant to the point where something like this happens. However, we have a very good model of how Nuke plants can be run. They have been doing it for a very long time and have never had a problem. Let's see if you can figure out who I'm talking about.
Must be the Japanese. They've had a perfect record until now.

Nope!

Yeah, operator error leads to boneheaded plans to spray plastic or throw a tarp over a nuclear accident.

Operator error equals humans being in over their heads.

No, it doesn't. They weren't in over their heads. They allowed their innate arrogance to get the better of them and not follow a very simple safety protocol. It's unbelievable that it happened and even more ridiculous is how inept they were immediately following the disaster. And all of it broken down to arrogance and not having a plan worked out before hand.
Speaking of arrogance, you seem to suffer from it quite badly. We don't KNOW if putting the generators higher would have solved the problem.

The Japan crisis, which began with an electricity outage, has also drawn attention to backup power. Experts say that the tsunami either waterlogged backup diesel generators, destroyed fuel tanks or flooded switch gears needed to hook up the generators — or all three.
Japan crisis spawns new look at U.S. reactors’ design and preparedness - The Washington Post

Nope again, we know quite well that had the generators been on the roof (and of course been operable and full of fuel, kind of a requirement for a emergency system) non of this would have happened. We KNOW this to be true.

Nope again, we know quite well that had the generators been on the roof (and of course been operable and full of fuel, kind of a requirement for a emergency system) non of this would have happened. We KNOW this to be true.
The tsunami was higher than the roof of the buildings so no, we don't KNOW that at all mr. arrogant derp.

What we do know is that if the plants hadn't been built where they are this disaster wouldn't have happened.

The tsunami was higher than the roof of the buildings so no, we don't KNOW that at all mr. arrogant derp.

What we do know is that if the plants hadn't been built where they are this disaster wouldn't have happened.

At the coast yes it was. By the time the wave reached the reactors, no it was not. The wave reached no higher than a third of the height of the buildings.

At the coast yes it was. By the time the wave reached the reactors, no it was not. The wave reached no higher than a third of the height of the buildings.
Wrong. A video of it happening was released a couple of days ago. The tsunami went over the top of the buildings.

They lied and people died. Haven't people learned anything from Wikileaks? Governments constantly lie to their people. At first our own Government and Japan's Government claimed it was no big deal. Now they're admitting it's actually worse than Chernobyl. Our Government has also told us that the radiation can't possibly reach Hawaii or the West Coast of the U.S. Or if it does,it will be no big deal. Look at all the ignorant masses who are buying that. This thing is a horrifying tragedy and it will affect the United States. The Governments are still lying about this. Wake up people.

Wrong. A video of it happening was released a couple of days ago. The tsunami went over the top of the buildings.

Really? I think you need to re-read the release there. Spray certainly reached higher than the buildings and it certainly topped the sea wall, but it did not go over the reactor buildings. I've highlighted the relevent parts for you.

Video shows tsunami crashing into Fukushima nuclear site

Share this on:Mixx Facebook Twitter Digg delicious reddit MySpace StumbleUpon LinkedIn April 09, 2011|By Brian Walker and Matt Smith, CNN

Tougher contingency plans have been ordered for Japanese nuclear power stations in light of the Fukushima Daiichi disaster.A brief video clip released Saturday captures the massive tsunami that crippled Japan's Fukushima Daiichi power plant, showing the wall of water that slammed into the facility and created an ongoing crisis.

The video shows the giant wave generated by the historic March 11 earthquake crashing over the plant's seawall and engulfing the facility, with one sheet of spray rising higher than the buildings that house the plant's six reactors. Tokyo Electric Power, the plant's owner, told reporters the wall of water was likely 14 to 15 meters (45 to 48 feet) higher than normal sea levels -- easily overwhelming the plant's 5-meter seawall.

Really? I think you need to re-read the release there. Spray certainly reached higher than the buildings and it certainly topped the sea wall, but it did not go over the reactor buildings. I've highlighted the relevent parts for you.

Share this on:Mixx Facebook Twitter Digg delicious reddit MySpace StumbleUpon LinkedIn April 09, 2011|By Brian Walker and Matt Smith, CNN

Tougher contingency plans have been ordered for Japanese nuclear power stations in light of the Fukushima Daiichi disaster.A brief video clip released Saturday captures the massive tsunami that crippled Japan's Fukushima Daiichi power plant, showing the wall of water that slammed into the facility and created an ongoing crisis.

The video shows the giant wave generated by the historic March 11 earthquake crashing over the plant's seawall and engulfing the facility, with one sheet of spray rising higher than the buildings that house the plant's six reactors. Tokyo Electric Power, the plant's owner, told reporters the wall of water was likely 14 to 15 meters (45 to 48 feet) higher than normal sea levels -- easily overwhelming the plant's 5-meter seawall.
Oh, right, that wasn't part of the tsunami.

:cuckoo:

It goes from "It's no big deal" to "A catastrophic disaster worse than Chernobyl" in a flash. Governments just can't help lying to their people. Look at all the sheep who bought into our own Government's claims as well as Japan's. They were all lies. Yet so many people bought into them. All people should check out Wikileaks and see just how often their Government lies to them. Our own Government is still claiming that radiation cannot reach Hawaii or the West Coast of the U.S. Do you really believe them? I know i don't. Governments just lie too much. It's time to pray for the people of Hawaii and the U.S. too. This thing is much much worse than the Governments have told the people. Stay safe and God Bless.

You said the video shows the wave going over the reactor building I have just shown you that not to be true. What's your problem?

"Wrong. A video of it happening was released a couple of days ago. The tsunami went over the top of the buildings."
Ravi

(AP)

Not that I'm aware of. The crisis is going to continue for quite a while and as it sits I would not be surprised if the amount of emissions comes close to that emitted by Cernobyl. It is still a much different animal. Locally it is going to be devestating, no question, but globally it will not be a big deal.

Ok. I don't think we disagree all that much. I didn't suggest, for example, that because of these Fukishima meltdown(s), the world was fucked. But I was taken a bit back when I saw people suggesting that what happened there in Japan is really nothing all that dire.

It is DAMN fucking dire to the People of Japan especially those within 30 or so miles [EDIT: I meant Km] of the plant in Northern Japan. It IS a problem for at least the local aquatic ecosystem, too. And although the degree of the problem for the rest of the world isn't directly related to the radioactivity getting emitted, it is STILL a potentially massive problem for the rest of the world because these things don't happen in an isolated closed system.

Japan might bounce back, but it is likely to take a long time. That ability to absorb the problems of the quake and the tsunami got massively complicated by the reactor problems. And if the Japanese economy starts to tank, badly, as I think it might, there is another kind of fallout to worry about. Their problems will not be easily contained.

Last edited:

Ok. I don't think we disagree all that much. I didn't suggest, for example, that because of these Fukishima meltdown(s), the world was fucked. But I was taken a bit back when I saw people suggesting that what happened there in Japan is really nothing all that dire.

It is DAMN fucking dire to the People of Japan especially those within 30 or so miles of the plant in Norther Japan. IT IS a problem for at least the local aquatic ecosystem, too. And although the degree of the problem for the rest of the world isn't directly related to the radioactivity getting emitted, it is STILL a potentially massive problem for the rest of the world because these things don't happen in an isolated closed system.

Japan might bounce back, but it is likely to take a long time. That ability to absorb the problems of the quake and the tsunami got massively complicated by the reactor problems. And if the Japanese economy starts to tank, badly, as I think it might, there is another kind of fallout to worry about. Their problems will not be easily contained.

I think you may have misinterpreted what has been said. The local situation is very dire indeed. However, after the short half life isotopes have burned themselves out the cleanup will begin and it will be safe to do so with reasonable precautions. They do need to get the leaking under control, there is no argument there, however the damage is going to be very localised in the long run. After the initial release a clear zone of around 50 miles was neccessary. However in about a year (provided they can control the leaking) people will be able to move back into a zone much closer to the reactor.

Eventually, 5 years or so, life will return to normal in the area and within a few years after that most people will not even know it ever occured.

First it was no big deal and now it's a horrifying disaster worse than Chernobyl. Why do people still believe what their Governments tell them? Their first inclination is to always lie. Now the U.S. Government is telling us that radiation will not affect the U.S. at all. No big deal again. Who actually believes them though? I think Hawaii and the West Coast of the U.S. are in serious trouble. They will probably be severely radiated while the Government tells them everything is just fine. This is just plain depressing.

You said the video shows the wave going over the reactor building I have just shown you that not to be true. What's your problem?

"Wrong. A video of it happening was released a couple of days ago. The tsunami went over the top of the buildings."
Ravi
It engulfed the buildings and one wave went over...or plume as you wish. Regardless, there is no way to know if the generators would have been out of harm's way on the roof.

Ravi
It engulfed the buildings and one wave went over...or plume as you wish. Regardless, there is no way to know if the generators would have been out of harm's way on the roof.

There is a huge difference between spray rising over the buildings and a wave sweety. A huge difference, yes we do know.

It is DAMN fucking dire to the People of Japan especially those within 30 or so miles of the plant in Norther Japan. IT IS a problem for at least the local aquatic ecosystem, too. And although the degree of the problem for the rest of the world isn't directly related to the radioactivity getting emitted, it is STILL a potentially massive problem for the rest of the world because these things don't happen in an isolated closed system.

I think you may have misinterpreted what has been said. The local situation is very dire indeed. However, after the short half life isotopes have burned themselves out the cleanup will begin and it will be safe to do so with reasonable precautions. They do need to get the leaking under control, there is no argument there, however the damage is going to be very localised in the long run. After the initial release a clear zone of around 50 miles was neccessary. However in about a year (provided they can control the leaking) people will be able to move back into a zone much closer to the reactor.

Eventually, 5 years or so, life will return to normal in the area and within a few years after that most people will not even know it ever occured.

The phrase "the short half life isotopes" is misleading. OF the radiactive particles that are getting emitted, and which are clearly polluting the immediate area, what is your understanding of the "half life?"

As I grasp this stuff, the half life of Strontium (meaning Strontium 90) is 30 years. Well, 28.7 to 28.9 years. That doesn't mean the problem goes away in 30 years. It means only that there is essentially half the original amount 30 years later. 60 years later, there's a quarter of the original amount. 90 years later there's still an eight of that original amount.

Why does that matter?

Because we know that the Fukishima reactors have released enough Sr90 to be affecting areas 30 Km away from the reactors. The half life of Cesium may be only about 2+ years, but it's still a problem, certainly, for the locals and the fauna (I'm thinking of livestock) and so forth, NOW. And for the next who knows how many years?

The stricken reactors ARE also releasing Plutonium into the atmosphere. There is no good way to interpret that. My understanding is that Plutonium has a 24 THOUSAND+ year half life.

I'm not sure what you are arguing. Chicken Littles may be making more of this big problem than it merits, but to denigrate the nature of the problem so dismissively also strikes me as fallacy.

It is a problem. It is primarily "local." But widespread and long term consequences do exist. And those consequences (nuclear-related injury, sickness, death, etc) are not necessarily all that minor. And they can grow worse over time since the broken reactors and storage areas have not come close to being contained and there is no clear end in sight.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back