North Carolina Parents Poised To Regain Control Of Kids' School Lunches...

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
Nice job North Carolina. A rare victory for Freedom & Liberty. Nice to see the Nanny/Police Staters getting KO'd on this one.

The ”chicken nugget” bill was passed unanimously by the North Carolina Senate Thursday and will likely sail through the state House in a bid to return to parents the authority to pack their children’s lunch boxes with whatever food they choose.

The story of a four-year-old given school cafeteria chicken nuggets instead of her homemade turkey sandwich brought national attention earlier this year to a law that let nutrition guidelines undermine parents’ preferences.

The North Carolina Child Care Commission ruled in September that child care facilities must provide lunches that adhere to U.S. Department of Agriculture guidelines, evaluate the nutrition of homemade lunches and supplement them when needed with cafeteria food.

The USDA recommends that children eat one serving of milk, meat and grain and two servings of fruit or vegetables every day.

North Carolina’s House Education and Higher Education Committee proposed the amended “chicken nugget” bill Tuesday. The bill will allow parents to pack lunches for their pre-K children that may not adhere to USDA guidelines.

“The contents of children’s lunch boxes should be decided by their parents and guardians, not by government bureaucrats,” Republican state Sen. Phil Berger said in a written statement. “While nutrition is very important, we need to make sure our child care providers focus on preparing children for school rather than on inspecting lunches.”

The bill also prohibits state agencies from inspecting homemade lunches, thereby preventing the state from penalizing child care facilities for parents’ choices.

The law previously allowed exemptions for ethnic, religious or cultural reasons, but not for personal preference...

Read more: North Carolina parents poised to regain control of kids' school lunches | The Daily Caller

There are many areas where we the people need to tell Uncle Sam to shove it. This is a good thing with the school lunches, but not nearly enough. The federal government needs to get the hell out of our lives and stop trying to control all that we do. Complete control of the citizens was NEVER the intent of this nation.

There are many areas where we the people need to tell Uncle Sam to shove it. This is a good thing with the school lunches, but not nearly enough. The federal government needs to get the hell out of our lives and stop trying to control all that we do. Complete control of the citizens was NEVER the intent of this nation.

Big Brother is all about the control. It's his nature. :(

"The North Carolina Child Care Commission ruled in September that child care facilities must provide lunches that adhere to U.S. Department of Agriculture guidelines, evaluate the nutrition of homemade lunches and supplement them when needed with cafeteria food."​

You may have missed it, it was a State agency that ruled schools should check homemade lunches - not the feds.

>>>>

Nice job North Carolina. A rare victory for Freedom & Liberty. Nice to see the Nanny/Police Staters getting KO'd on this one.

The ”chicken nugget” bill was passed unanimously by the North Carolina Senate Thursday and will likely sail through the state House in a bid to return to parents the authority to pack their children’s lunch boxes with whatever food they choose.

The story of a four-year-old given school cafeteria chicken nuggets instead of her homemade turkey sandwich brought national attention earlier this year to a law that let nutrition guidelines undermine parents’ preferences.

The North Carolina Child Care Commission ruled in September that child care facilities must provide lunches that adhere to U.S. Department of Agriculture guidelines, evaluate the nutrition of homemade lunches and supplement them when needed with cafeteria food.

The USDA recommends that children eat one serving of milk, meat and grain and two servings of fruit or vegetables every day.

North Carolina’s House Education and Higher Education Committee proposed the amended “chicken nugget” bill Tuesday. The bill will allow parents to pack lunches for their pre-K children that may not adhere to USDA guidelines.

“The contents of children’s lunch boxes should be decided by their parents and guardians, not by government bureaucrats,” Republican state Sen. Phil Berger said in a written statement. “While nutrition is very important, we need to make sure our child care providers focus on preparing children for school rather than on inspecting lunches.”

The bill also prohibits state agencies from inspecting homemade lunches, thereby preventing the state from penalizing child care facilities for parents’ choices.

The law previously allowed exemptions for ethnic, religious or cultural reasons, but not for personal preference...

Read more: North Carolina parents poised to regain control of kids' school lunches | The Daily Caller

It's all about Liberty folks. Good for them!
icon14.gif

Good for them. Tell Uncle Sam to shove it up his ass.

North Carolina Child Care Commission <> Uncle Sam.

That being said the State has no business inspection lunches from home. I have no problem with them being required to provide healthy meals in the school cafeteria.

That being said the State has no business inspection lunches from home. I have no problem with them being required to provide healthy meals in the school cafeteria.

They should eliminate school cafeterias and lunches altogether. It is the Federal free & reduced lunch program that allows the feds to get their hooks into schools in the first place.

Parents should be responsible for feeding their kids, not schools.

They should eliminate school cafeterias and lunches altogether. It is the Federal free & reduced lunch program that allows the feds to get their hooks into schools in the first place.

I could agree with that to a certain extent than what about the kids who come from poor families? there was a reason the schools started the free lunch program in the first place.

I could agree with that to a certain extent than what about the kids who come from poor families? there was a reason the schools started the free lunch program in the first place.

Have to agree.

I'm sorry, but it is not the responsibility of schools to deal with the feeding of kids. It is the parents. If they are poor, it is what it is. There are private charities to help them out....or....maybe not have kids if you are poor? How about that?

I agree. Taken to the libertarian extreme we should do away with Public Schools altogether and make parents responsible for either educating their own children or paying someone else to do it for them.

The NSLP grew from the need to have healthy, able bodied soldiers ready for the military draft/training. Now with a third of the countries children obese I'm not sure it's needed anymore.

Yes there was. WWIII.

I'm sorry, but it is not the responsibility of schools to deal with the feeding of kids. It is the parents. If they are poor, it is what it is. There are private charities to help them out....or....maybe not have kids if you are poor? How about that?

I'm not disagreeing with you, I DEFINENTLY think people should not have children if they are poor but thats not the case, actually people who don't do as well financially tend to have more children than people who are more financially stable. Bottom line is this, if free school lunches and cafeterias closed today we would have alot of hungry kids in school.

Yes there was. WWIII.

:confused:

Forum List

Back