None of our founding fathers said the pledge of alliegance.

Go fuck yourself, and YOU don't have the balls to say that to my face.

Perch and rotate, limp=popgun. You mince from one side of the aisle to the other trying to play both sides against the middle. I don't know what you are, but I don't believe much (if any) of what you say anymore.

Go fuck yourself, and YOU don't have the balls to say that to my face.

Perch and rotate, limp=popgun. You mince from one side of the aisle to the other trying to play both sides against the middle. I don't know what you are, but I don't believe much (if any) of what you say anymore.

I am not a partisan you stupid piece of shit!

Only idiots are partisan fools like yourself.

Grow a brain, grow a pair and get real.

The founding fathers never wore a flag pin or stood for the national anthem...

Obviously hated America

That's true, but they did prey and also went so far as to print a congressional bible for distrubition, as well as take oaths of office and pledge oaths to their individual colonies as well as the United States. I fail to see the point here, if someone in todays time period right , wishes to express a sense of love of country by wearing a flag pin or for that matter, singing the national anthem which didnt really come into being until the 20th century. Your talking though about how each generation celebrates or expresses their love of this nation.

At the start of each new Congress, in January of every odd-numbered year, the entire House of Representatives and one-third of the Senate performs a solemn and festive constitutional rite that is as old as the Republic. While the oath-taking dates back to the First Congress in 1789, the current oath is a product of the 1860s, drafted by Civil War-era members of Congress intent on ensnaring traitors.

U.S. Senate: Art & History Home > Origins & Development > Institutional Development > Oath of Office

On June 14, 1777, in order to establish an official flag for the new nation, the Continental Congress passed the first Flag Act: "Resolved, That the flag of the United States be made of thirteen stripes, alternate red and white; that the union be thirteen stars, white in a blue field, representing a new Constellation."
USFlag.org: A website dedicated to the Flag of the United States of America - Evolution of the United States Flag

I see nothing wrong at all with how people of different generations celebrate their love for this nation and frankly, wearing of pins, or buttons, is as old as the Republic itself and because someone chooses to do so does not make it a requirement for others to.

My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy! ~Thomas Jefferson

Patriotism is not a short frenzied burst of emotion, but the long and steady dedication of a lifetime. Thomas Jefferson

Patriotism is as much a virtue as justice, and is as necessary for the support of societies as natural affection is for the support of families.

Benjamin Rush, letter to His Fellow Countrymen: On Patriotism, October 20, 1773

Point is I think that the Founding Fathers would be quite familier with celebrations of patriotism and love of country in things such as the national anthem or wearing of flag pins and would also defend those who choose not to. Thats the real beauty of this nation.

As a matter of fact, the founders rejected such symbology and rebelled against the king. The "patriots" of the day were the torries loyal to the existing monarchy

An interesting combination or reality and outrageous imagination does nothing to enhance your credability: Yes, the colonists loyal to GB were indeed patriots to the monoarch which had their own symbols. Yes, colonists "rejected" the flag of GB.

However it is ridiculous to say they did not adopt a substitue, e.g.

UTAFLAG1.jpg

The duplicity of your reasoning, and twists of logic only serve to make REAL liberal arguments more difficult to make.

You wish you had my sex life, kid.

Sampson is always fixated on sex. Kinda indicates to me he is a youngster who has not got any yet.

but I have no idea where his squidophelia came from.

hey dude ....most normal guys no matter how much they get.....can get fixated on sex in an instant....key word here is normal....

You should have heard my neighbor last night after we drank a few shots of Metaxa. :lol:

Sampson is always fixated on sex. Kinda indicates to me he is a youngster who has not got any yet.

but I have no idea where his squidophelia came from.

hey dude ....most normal guys no matter how much they get.....can get fixated on sex in an instant....key word here is normal....

You should have heard my neighbor last night after we drank a few shots of Metaxa. :lol:

i hope his remarks were not aimed at you.....not that there is anything wrong with that....:wink_2:

The founding fathers never wore a flag pin or stood for the national anthem...

Obviously hated America

That's true, but they did prey and also went so far as to print a congressional bible for distrubition, as well as take oaths of office and pledge oaths to their individual colonies as well as the United States. I fail to see the point here, if someone in todays time period right , wishes to express a sense of love of country by wearing a flag pin or for that matter, singing the national anthem which didnt really come into being until the 20th century. Your talking though about how each generation celebrates or expresses their love of this nation.

At the start of each new Congress, in January of every odd-numbered year, the entire House of Representatives and one-third of the Senate performs a solemn and festive constitutional rite that is as old as the Republic. While the oath-taking dates back to the First Congress in 1789, the current oath is a product of the 1860s, drafted by Civil War-era members of Congress intent on ensnaring traitors.

U.S. Senate: Art & History Home > Origins & Development > Institutional Development > Oath of Office

On June 14, 1777, in order to establish an official flag for the new nation, the Continental Congress passed the first Flag Act: "Resolved, That the flag of the United States be made of thirteen stripes, alternate red and white; that the union be thirteen stars, white in a blue field, representing a new Constellation."
USFlag.org: A website dedicated to the Flag of the United States of America - Evolution of the United States Flag

I see nothing wrong at all with how people of different generations celebrate their love for this nation and frankly, wearing of pins, or buttons, is as old as the Republic itself and because someone chooses to do so does not make it a requirement for others to.

My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy! ~Thomas Jefferson

Patriotism is not a short frenzied burst of emotion, but the long and steady dedication of a lifetime. Thomas Jefferson

Patriotism is as much a virtue as justice, and is as necessary for the support of societies as natural affection is for the support of families.

Benjamin Rush, letter to His Fellow Countrymen: On Patriotism, October 20, 1773

Point is I think that the Founding Fathers would be quite familier with celebrations of patriotism and love of country in things such as the national anthem or wearing of flag pins and would also defend those who choose not to. Thats the real beauty of this nation.

As a matter of fact, the founders rejected such symbology and rebelled against the king. The "patriots" of the day were the torries loyal to the existing monarchy

Prior to this time, there was a very wide variety of campaign items used. Metal clothing buttons were used as far back as 1789 to commemorate the election of our first President, George Washington. Small metal disks, or "medalets", are considered the forerunner of modern campaign buttons and first used in Andrew Jackson's unsuccessful 1824 initial bid for the Presidency. A hole was often punched through the disk and they were worn from the lapel on a string. Other campaign items included studs, which were designed with a metal shank to be worn through a buttonhole on the lapel, ribbons (first used in about 1840 and mostly made of silk), jewelry, banners, bottles, china, cardboard-back photos, metal tokens or other coin-like items of various types, fobs, and ferrotypes, which is simply a photo produced on tin and enclosed in a brass shell with a pin attached.

Whilbr - Western Maryland Historical Library

2161_1_lg.jpg

Gadsden Flag History
How did the rattlesnake become a symbol of American independence? Here's the fascinating history of the most famous Dont Tread on Me flag.

First Navy Jack History
The story of the second most famous Dont Tread on Me rattlesnake flag. This flag is especially popular right now, since the U.S. Navy has ordered all ships to fly the First Navy Jack during the War on Terrorism.

Grand Union American Flag
The first American flag to have any resemblance to the present Stars and Stripes.
American Flag

Your contention that the Founding Fathers rejected symbols can only be seen in a very narrow context i.e. a singular state religion and even then it can be argued that many in the contentential congress and early congress after having prinnted their own bible and issued such things as a national prayer would have been quite comfortable with that. As for the contention of a symbol representing patriotism or faith , or for that matter love of this nation its very clear this nation has a long and rich history of symbols dating back well into the to revolution.

While there is a difference between "The Pledge of Aligence" and an Pledge of any kind of loyalty to the country.

It's semantics, and little more than humor.

The signing of the Declaration of Independence was a signing of your own Death Warrant.

I would look at that as an extreme form of a pledge.

Forum List

Back