No tip? Go to jail. I've heard it all now...

Almost all restaurants have a disclaimer that parties of a certain size will be assessed a gratuity.

You get around this by asking for separate checks for each couple.

you cheap sob....i swear....that is just so fucking cheap.....

Shows what you know bones.

You assume i don't leave generous tips.

In fact I almost always tip 20% if the service is merely good.

Tonight I am taking my lovely wife out to one of our favorite places. I expect to drop at least $150 for dinner and i guarantee the tip will be at least 30% because service at this place is always top notch.

I have a problem with wait staff who automatically get a tip just because there are more than a few people at a table. Why work for it when you know you're getting an 18% tip even if you suck?

i think the requirement on large tables is due the fact the server has to spend so much time at a large table....instead of having 4 small tables....you have one huge table... larger parties tend to be more demanding on the whole...normally when we do large parties..it is an event..we are going out for...then everyone pretty much tosses down their share of the dinner and tip...i have found that drinking people are very generous tippers...when a party is really large...the tip is covered by the host...

o i do hope for that price you have an outstanding dinner....

The Sole Proprietor was voted the best seafood dinner restaurant in Central Massachusetts by Worcester Magazine and The Telegram & Gazette.

I am partial to the grilled tuna steak with garlic mashed potatoes and asparagus with hollandaise.

My wife like the salmon.

We'll order a couple bottles of wine (I like a Riesling with seafood) and share some mussels and crab for an appetizer.

Yuk...I hate seafood but hope you and your wife have a great time.

Give me a med rare fillet, scallop potatoes with grilled mushrooms/onions and I am in heaven.

that place looks kick ass...seared scallops and all....i dont think skull would be laying out that kinda money if it was not worth is....

all a guaranteed tip of 18% for a table of six guarantees is crappy service....

Not from my experience. Whenever my family goes out, we receive excellent service. Big parties tend to tip above the 18% when the service is really good, and the wait staff knows this. And knowing that there are plenty of people out there who will stiff the wait staff, I don't blame them for adding the gratuity to the bill for large parties.

My girlfriend is one of those who doesn't believe in tipping. The first time she picked up the tab, she tried leaving a $3 tip on a $45 order. The service was decent and there was no reason to be so cheap. I read her the riot act. She's finally coming around and now will leave 15%. I usually add a few bucks if she's paying. And yea, she's got money. It's sometimes surprising who will tip and who will not.

That being said, if service is truly crappy, then a customer does have the right to refuse to tip. Funny thing is that management will almost always acknowledge poor service, so something about this story sounds fishy to me. If a restaurant is extremely busy, and the food is slow coming out of the kitchen, that is not the server's fault.

And if you want to know who the worst tippers are, it is Blacks. I still haven't figured out if they it is a racist thing with them, or if they are just too stupid to know better. And yes, some Blacks do tip very well, but they are the exception. Many of them don't tip at all. Second worst on the list are Indians from India. With them it is simply a matter of being cheap. They expect something for nothing. After them come the Jews. They will usually tip but not much. On the other end, Arabs tend to tip very well.

And if you want to know who the worst tippers are, it is Blacks. I still haven't figured out if they it is a racist thing with them, or if they are just too stupid to know better. And yes, some Blacks do tip very well, but they are the exception. Many of them don't tip at all. Second worst on the list are Indians from India. With them it is simply a matter of being cheap. They expect something for nothing. After them come the Jews. They will usually tip but not much. On the other end, Arabs tend to tip very well.

Are your findings based on personal experience, or did you conduct a study?

Why do I get the feeling that only half of the story is being told here?

Granted, I'll stiff a wait...er..."server" if the service is shitty (I'm a 20%-er otherwise), but I've not heard of a party of fewer than six being gratted on restaurant tabs anywhere in America.

This was a party of 8, not 2.

Personal experience and just knowing the industry.

Why is it unbelievable people would get arrested for shoplifting? I'm sure it states on the menu grat is mandatory on groups of 6 or more.....or in this case 8...and that is how many were in the group.

When I worked at TGIF I never told people grat was mandatory on 8 or more because it was on every menu and sometimes they would double tip out of their own ignorance. Shady on my part? Probably....but at the time I didn't care. But, there were some really fucked up servers who would circle the Total on the bottom of the receipt with a little happy face. For some reason they managed to always draw a line through the "Gratuity...........$xx" line on the receipt. That made it hard for customers to see gratuity had already been added. It also didn't help credit card receipts still had the open line to add gratuity.

I served in places full time or part time for about 6 years in 4 different cities and 5 restaurants. I don't know about the Jew thing cause I don't know how to identify them but the Indian and African American piece is definitely accurate. Even African americans were reluctant to serve african americans. I asked one of my friends who was an african american and a manger and she said "They feel like they've paid enough to white people." I told her that sounds like a bullshit excuse and she generally agreed. But I have also seen how african americans will get shitty service and I openly admit if I was slammed with 6 tables I actively prioritized based on where I thought the good tips were going to come from. It wasn't based on race but experience. If whites systematically tipped poorly I would have adjusted. Even if all 6 tables were whites I would assess and prioritize based on where the most money was going to come from. Smokers were always...and I mean ALWAYS the best tippers.

If it was a married couple the wife controlled the tip. If it was a group of people the ones who responded with humor were the big tippers. Younger pretty women were shitty tippers because they believed their eye candy currency was payment enough. Gays always tipped very very well because I gave them good service and they appreciated I wasn't offended by their lifestyle. The absolute worst tippers out of any group were evangelicals. One place I worked at actually banned a group of Christians because they would roll in 15 to 20 deep, take up most of the Atrium and sit there for 3 hours with a total bill of about $50. "Just coffee, thank you. A cup of hot water and lemon dear, I brought my own tea bag." I even had some Christian couples or families leave a candy cane stapled to an index card with a verse or two. Yeah, that'll help pay my bills.

all a guaranteed tip of 18% for a table of six guarantees is crappy service....

...And if you want to know who the worst tippers are, it is Blacks. I still haven't figured out if they it is a racist thing with them, or if they are just too stupid to know better. And yes, some Blacks do tip very well, but they are the exception. Many of them don't tip at all. Second worst on the list are Indians from India. With them it is simply a matter of being cheap. They expect something for nothing. After them come the Jews. They will usually tip but not much. On the other end, Arabs tend to tip very well.

Oh, great. Way to deal the t-card.

Why do I get the feeling that only half of the story is being told here?

Granted, I'll stiff a wait...er..."server" if the service is shitty (I'm a 20%-er otherwise), but I've not heard of a party of fewer than six being gratted on restaurant tabs anywhere in America.

According to the article, it was a party of eight.

Tips are just a mimimum wage exemption subsidy for minimum wage exempt restaurant workers.
A Tax in other words.

QUOTE]The worst tippers are the cult like people whose women wear coffee filters on their head, Nascar fans, FFA conventioneers and the hicks in town for the State Fair.[/QUOTE]

When I was a server in college, the worst tippers were:

1. Church people - and they run you ragged for it. I HATED working Sunday brunch for this reason. They are the WORST.
2. Frat boys. I dreaded getting them on a table. They sit and get wasted, forget what they order and whine about everything.
3. The rich rednecks - nice dooly taking up 4 parking spaces, buddy. Do you really need katsup for that seared pork tenderloin? Really? Thanks for the $1.20 on a $120 tab even though you got impeccable service from me and ran me ALL OVER CREATION.

The best tippers are:

1. Young people also in the restaurant business. THE best tippers even though they can barely afford it.
2. Normal families - even though the kids made a god-awful mess.
3. Families/friends celebrating. I loved birthdays and graduations.
4. Businessmen. They used to flirt a little too. Breaks up the monotony.
5. Girls night out. Groups of women were always gracious and generous.

Just an observation.

When I was a server in college, the worst tippers were:

1. Church people - and they run you ragged for it. I HATED working Sunday brunch for this reason. They are the WORST.
2. Frat boys. I dreaded getting them on a table. They sit and get wasted, forget what they order and whine about everything.
3. The rich rednecks - nice dooly taking up 4 parking spaces, buddy. Do you really need katsup for that seared pork tenderloin? Really? Thanks for the $1.20 on a $120 tab even though you got impeccable service from me and ran me ALL OVER CREATION.

The best tippers are:

1. Young people also in the restaurant business. THE best tippers even though they can barely afford it.
2. Normal families - even though the kids made a god-awful mess.
3. Families/friends celebrating. I loved birthdays and graduations.
4. Businessmen. They used to flirt a little too. Breaks up the monotony.
5. Girls night out. Groups of women were always gracious and generous.

Just an observation.

Word. I remember eating with some relatives who sadly fall into the third category from the first list. They made a big production out of giving the woman a five dollar tip on a fifty dollar ticket, you know, as if was supergenerous. I felt so awkward about it I went back and gave her another five (it was all the cash I had on me).

Forum List

Back