No tip? Go to jail. I've heard it all now...

You know, when I waited on the old bags out to lunch, or the rich "ladies who lunch" eating out on Sugar Daddies dime, I'd ALWAYS ask them if they wanted separate checks.

They LOVED that, because I asked first and didn't act like it was the end of the world like some servers do. Plus, I would make better tips that way, they loved me what can I say!

You know, when I waited on the old bags out to lunch, or the rich "ladies who lunch" eating out on Sugar Daddies dime, I'd ALWAYS ask them if they wanted separate checks.

They LOVED that, because I asked first and didn't act like it was the end of the world like some servers do. Plus, I would make better tips that way, they loved me what can I say!
Those ones weren't as much a bother as the parties of 20+ that came in, wanting the round-the-world treatment, all on separate tabs.

Instant morale killer and dragged the rest of the joint to a slow grind.

Why do I get the feeling that only half of the story is being told here?

Granted, I'll stiff a wait...er..."server" if the service is shitty (I'm a 20%-er otherwise), but I've not heard of a party of fewer than six being gratted on restaurant tabs anywhere in America.

They said "eating with 6 of their friends". So that does in fact equal 8. But to arrest them? Outrageous.

As for poor service, I might leave 50 cents to make a point. But I am also the type that will drop a 20 spot for a 20 dollar meal if the service was outstanding. A few weekends ago I gave our server at Ruth Chris Steakhouse $50 bucks for a $120 tab. But not once did my drink glass get half way empty, and when my wife asked for her food to be cooked a certain way, it was top notch.

Last edited:
Almost all restaurants have a disclaimer that parties of a certain size will be assessed a gratuity.

You get around this by asking for separate checks for each couple.

Doesn't work over here. Every now and then me and a group of about eight to 10 people will pick a restaurant or bar and enjoy ourselves but we all start our own tabs. Some of the restaurants know we're together and charge gratuity anyway. When they do that, I don't leave a penny more than I'm charged, but my service was always good (I won't say exceptional), so I never argued it.

Typically in restaurants I tip about 10 percent, though at bars I tip about 20 since they're also mixing the drink, and on two occasions I dropped a 50 percent tip, though one was for playing along with me on a joke with my brother... If they give me shit or if they're ignoring me, I limit it to a dollar, and if they really piss me off, I leave only a penny, and I place it in a prominent place on the table so the waiter/waitress knows I didn't forget to tip, but that I just thought s/he ruined my night.

As for the restaurant, calling the police for arguing the gratuity is the dumbest PR move they could have ever done. I hope the restaurant goes under.

Last edited:
Why do I get the feeling that only half of the story is being told here?

Granted, I'll stiff a wait...er..."server" if the service is shitty (I'm a 20%-er otherwise), but I've not heard of a party of fewer than six being gratted on restaurant tabs anywhere in America.

I have had it happen to by myself at this yuppie place here even thought it is against some state law and it was at 20% or something. I paid it because the service was good and the guy deserved but I don't plan on going there again.

i am a liberal and i tip 20 % normally....and i got a question...why 20% ....i remember when it was 15% for good service...did wait people decide that 15% was just for poor fucking service now? i am not a good diner...i get pissed with poor ass service fast....ie...we are at cootie browns in johnson city tn...small outdoor table...we get our main course...no one clears the dishes off the table...i mean we got the app dishes all over and no real room..and wait staff doesnt care...my solution...i put the mal on the damned floor...in the middle of the aisle...fuck em...i am not eating on a crowded table...my companion left the tip...

da man will always leave 50 cents if the service was poor....now get this..for a 8 top...my inlaws left a dollar...he puts down a dollar...i see her opening her purse...i am like great she is gonna put down the real tip...she added a quarter....now this was a place da man and i eat at all the time....so i got to fake an excuse to run back and leave a decent tip...

stiffing a wait person costs them money...they do have to pay taxes on their receipts to a point...

If they knew ahead of time that the tip would be part of the bill, then what's their defense?

I think they think bad service. I agree bad service doesnt always mean you will get a tip, but, its stated clearly in most resturants and party of 8 will be billed 20%.

If it were me, I would have called the manager over and complained and if it was a decent business, they would have understood or lost my business for good.

Almost all restaurants have a disclaimer that parties of a certain size will be assessed a gratuity.

Doesn't work over here. Every now and then me and a group of about eight to 10 people will pick a restaurant or bar and enjoy ourselves but we all start our own tabs. Some of the restaurants know we're together and charge gratuity anyway. When they do that, I don't leave a penny more than I'm charged, but my service was always good (I won't say exceptional), so I never argued it.

Typically in restaurants I tip about 10 percent, though at bars I tip about 20 since they're also mixing the drink, and on two occasions I dropped a 50 percent tip, though one was for playing along with me on a joke with my brother... If they give me shit or if they're ignoring me, I limit it to a dollar, and if they really piss me off, I leave only a penny, and I place it in a prominent place on the table so the waiter/waitress knows I didn't forget to tip, but that I just thought s/he ruined my night.

As for the restaurant, calling the police for arguing the gratuity is the dumbest PR move they could have ever done. I hope the restaurant goes under.

see my post to skull....yall are both just cheap sobs....no one tips 10% anymore for good service....o please drag your cheap asses into this century..please

see my post to skull....yall are both just cheap sobs....no one tips 10% anymore for good service....o please drag your cheap asses into this century..please

Like I give a shit if you think I'm cheap. "drag your cheap asses into this century?" And eventually they should expect 30 percent? Then 40? When does it stop, when the waitresses have to pay fees to be allowed to work in the restaurant and then hope our 100 percent tip subsidizes them? Fuck that.

Last edited:
you dont have to tip 20% but i think for good service 15% should be the tip...and yea your cheap!

as a disclaimer....i hang with a lot of former wait people...and a close friend is a bartender...10% would get you chased out in the parking lot in a lot of places

That's as certain a way to guarantee shitty service as there is.

This is why I think that only half of the story is being told here.

I prefer shitty service when I go out to eat.

Makes me feel like I'm at home.

Forum List

Back