No more free lunch for homeless in Miami

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Miami residents may have to think twice before giving up their leftovers to the homeless.

The Miami City Commission is set to consider a proposal next month that would prohibit unauthorized people and groups from feeding the homeless downtown, an ordinance proponents say will cut down on litter and ensure the safety of the food the homeless do eat.

Though the change could draw objections, David Karsh, spokesman for Development Authority Chairman Marc Sarnoff, said the rule isn't a blanket ban. He said that anybody would be able to feed the homeless, but they would have to go through formal training first -- amateurs couldn't just give up part of their lunch to help someone they meet on the street. The training would cover two main lessons: how to ensure the food is safe to eat, and how to clean up the mess afterward.

If the ordinance passes, anybody who breaks it would first receive a warning and then fines up to $300 for subsequent offenses.

FOXNews.com - Miami Considers Ban on Feeding the Homeless Without Training

Good idea?

ridiculous idea imo.....

get the homeless working....if the city is sooooooo concerned about their food safety or put some more trash cans under 826 or 836 or 95 causeways...but to stop someone from giving the other half of their sandwich is just plain stupid!

I agree. And unfortunately many grocers and restaurants are throwing out tons of food that could feed the homeless because of the unreasonable regulations on expiration dates and whatnot. A starving person would be grateful to get a granola bar that might be stale. I blame the lawyers again.

This law may just be a way to get rid of the homeless though. "Feeding them like strays" might be the mindset.

That's insane. So if I'm not going to eat my apple, the law says I have to throw it in the garbage rather than give it to a hungry homeless person who might want to eat it without having to pick it out of the trash first? It's my apple dammit, I should be able to give it to anybody I want.

food safety my butt!

Show us how many homeless people have been admitted for food poisoning....

They want to rid these people from their city....this is the SECOND thing Miami has done or tried to do to rid them of the homeless... I think the last one was to make it illegal for the homeless to clean your windshield....if memory serves me...?

So you buy a large hoagie and can't give half to a homeless person you must instead throw it out? What's to stop the homeless person from picking it out of the thrash to eat? Food safety my eye.

Yeah, gotta keep those acts of kindness under tight control. :rolleyes:

Another "Clue' that societies leaders are becoming dumber than a bag of mixed nuts.
Is "Stupid" a prerequisite for becoming a politician?

I think the homeless should be rounded up Monday through Friday and forced to work an eight hour day, doing whatever the city/state/county needs done, in exchange for being fed for the day.

If they don't like that deal, then find a real job to pay some rent or get the hell on down the road.

Miami residents may have to think twice before giving up their leftovers to the homeless.

The Miami City Commission is set to consider a proposal next month that would prohibit unauthorized people and groups from feeding the homeless downtown, an ordinance proponents say will cut down on litter and ensure the safety of the food the homeless do eat.

Though the change could draw objections, David Karsh, spokesman for Development Authority Chairman Marc Sarnoff, said the rule isn't a blanket ban. He said that anybody would be able to feed the homeless, but they would have to go through formal training first -- amateurs couldn't just give up part of their lunch to help someone they meet on the street. The training would cover two main lessons: how to ensure the food is safe to eat, and how to clean up the mess afterward.

If the ordinance passes, anybody who breaks it would first receive a warning and then fines up to $300 for subsequent offenses.
FOXNews.com - Miami Considers Ban on Feeding the Homeless Without Training

Good idea?

So I get fined for givin' someone a sandwich?

BTW, if someplace serves bad food, word spreads and noone goes.

They only bit that begins to make any sense would be litter0 but they can just enforce existing litter laws. Surely there are laws describing to what extent people who sell food are responsible for the litter. Just apply the same laws.

I think the homeless should be rounded up Monday through Friday and forced to work an eight hour day, doing whatever the city/state/county needs done, in exchange for being fed for the day.

If they don't like that deal, then find a real job to pay some rent or get the hell on down the road.
Awesome! Take work away from the private sector and force those who've lost their jobs due to the fucked up economy to perform forced labour at slave wages (well, less, as slaves got a cot, too).

Forum List

Back