People Are Strange

Cecilie1200

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
So . . . my husband and I are going through the garage, getting rid of stuff we don't use anymore that's just taking up space, and we come across his old Magic the Gathering cards. He used to play this game 15 years ago, and stopped right around the time we got married, declaring all collectible card games to be of the devil, and sucking black holes of money loss. So Joe says, "We should take these to the game store and sell them. I'm never going to play this again."

Being a much more savvy haggler than he is, I take the cards, sit down at the computer, and start pricing them one by one and writing down what's being offered for them on eBay before I head down to my local game store. Long story short (I know, it's already too late), I sold five cards - FIVE CARDS! - yesterday for a grand total of $1110. Seriously. For five pieces of pasteboard. The rarest of the cards went for $500 all by itself, and it wasn't even "mint condition".

I feel like those people who clean the attic and find an original Picasso. I just paid off my property taxes with five playing cards. Unbelievable.

My son was hooked on this game throughout high school. He has literally storage tubs full of them, (high schoolers have a lot of disposable income. ;) ). I just left him a message, like Joe, he'll never play again, they are sitting downstairs in their containers, while he's off doing university.

i have no idea what the game even is...but congrats on the gold find!

I think I need to make the hubby go through his collectibles and hand some of that 'junk' over to me to get 'rid' of it for him....i could use some pocket change!

WOW! Congrats to you on those cards.

One never knows whats around the house like the old Nintendo machine, which I had two but gave them to the grandkids, one sold for $13,000 on eBay! Now I am kickin myself.

My son was hooked on this game throughout high school. He has literally storage tubs full of them, (high schoolers have a lot of disposable income. ;) ). I just left him a message, like Joe, he'll never play again, they are sitting downstairs in their containers, while he's off doing university.

Doing University ?

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Used to have thousands of dollars worth of comic-books. My sister has 4 kids and while I was in the military she pilfered em from me. One book alone was worth $280. I had a whole box full of them in nearly mint condition.

Tell him if he has a Black Lotus from any of the decks that offered it, or a Mox Pearl from one of the three earlier decks, and they're in good condition, they're a gold mine. I had one Black Lotus, in well-played condition (not even near mint) that went for $400. Had it been in mint or near-mint condition, it would have gone for upwards of $1000.

People Are Strange

...When you're a stranger...

Jim-Morrison.jpg

Forum List

Back