No More Bananas? Ever?

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Bananas.jpg

I've read several articles about this in the past but this is the first time I've really paid attention to one. The thought of not being able to peel and eat a banana is unsettling. What would I do to replace the one I eat every morning along with a big Red Delicious apple? Read more of this alarming story @ One of the World's Most Popular Fruits May Soon Be Facing Extinction

One of the world’s most popular fruits may go extinct -- yet again.

Before 1960, your grandparents and great-grandparents were eating better bananas. Called Gros Michel, they were tastier, bigger and more resilient than the bananas found in supermarkets worldwide today.

It has a more robust taste,” said Dan Koeppel, author of “Banana: The Fate of the Fruit That Changed the World” of the yummier yellow fruit. “It’s more creamy.”

So why can’t we too enjoy the robust creaminess of the Gros Michel, once the world's export banana? Turns out, the species went virtually extinct in the 1960s thanks to an invasive and incurable fungus that wiped out most Gros Michel plantations around the world.

That explains how the Cavendish -- the blander banana we now eat -- grew in prominence. It tasted worse and was less hardy than the Gros Michel, but the species seemed able to resist the fungal invasion, known as “Panama disease.”

Your Favorite Banana Is Facing Extinction As Deadly Fungus Spreads

Bananas.jpg

I've read several articles about this in the past but this is the first time I've really paid attention to one. The thought of not being able to peel and eat a banana is unsettling. What would I do to replace the one I eat every morning along with a big Red Delicious apple? Read more of this alarming story @ One of the World's Most Popular Fruits May Soon Be Facing Extinction

Even if the Cavendish becomes uneconomical, another cultivar will be found to take it's place. It's happened before, and will happen again.

Forum List

Back