Nigerian author makes TIMES’ “Next Generation Leaders” list

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
The 32-year-old is a Hausa-language author of six books featuring forbidden romance, polygamy and inter-generational drama.

Speaking to TIME, Farida said, “Women turn to romance novels to figure out how to live their own lives.”

Her recent series, The Block of Ashes, was inspired by a neighbour who went to a Nigerian juju priest hoping dark magic could help with her marital problems, to devastating results.

“I try to reflect the reality of society in my stories,” she said. “These juju doctors have become a menace in many homes.”

TIME Magazine notes on its website, “Women in the city of Kano in northern Nigeria are on the cusp of radical social changes, as globalized development pulls against conservative Islamic traditions. To help make sense of changing times, many are turning to romance novels, or littattafan soyayya (literally, “books of love”).

“The cheap and locally produced paperbacks, sold from tiny storefronts throughout Kano’s street markets, are a popular diversion for women of all classes and education levels.
Nigerian author makes TIMES' “Next Generation Leaders” list

I think it would be interesting to see what the books reveal about the culture.

Forum List

Back