Newt Gingrich Admits That Trump’s Economic Plan Is Nonsense

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
WASHINGTON ― After a disastrous week for a Republican presidential nominee, you might have expected the party to circle the wagons and bring out its most prestigious leaders to defend their candidate, particularly in front of a friendly, conservative news outlet.

Speaker of the House Paul Ryan (R-Wis.), perhaps? Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), maybe? Nope. Donald Trump’s defense on “Fox News Sunday” came from a guy who left office in 1999, and who refuses to pay off the debt he accumulated from a quirky 2012 presidential campaign that served, in part, as a zoo tour.

Newt Gingrich did his best to defend Trump, and effectively attacked Hillary Clinton’s recent bizarre and false statements about her email scandal. But Gingrich also had to acknowledge that his candidate’s economic plan is nonsense. When host Chris Wallace asked whether Trump’s tax and spending plan adds up, Gingrich admitted the absurdity.

“Of course not,” Gingrich said. “Historically, no candidates have numbers that add up.”

It’s, let’s say, very unusual for campaign surrogates to acknowledge that their campaign’s entire economic policy is bunk.

Gingrich’s point is, in a sense, technically accurate and completely ridiculous. Republicans have been particularly egregious on this front. According to a conservative think tank, in the 2016 primary, Bobby Jindal offered a tax plan that would balloon the federal debt by $9 trillion. Other analysts said the Jeb Bush tax plan would cost $8.1 trillion. When Mitt Romney offered a $5 trillion tax cut in 2012 while vowing not to raise taxes on anybody, nonpartisan analysts noted this was impossible, and would require raising taxes on middle-class families. Clinton has acknowledged that her economic plan would require increasing the national debt by about 2 percent.

These could all be construed by deficit hawks as plans that do not add up. But Clinton, unlike the GOP, acknowledges that her plan involves deficit spending, rather than pretending that magic spending cuts or wild economic growth will fill the hole.

But according to Fox, Trump’s plan would add $11.2 trillion onto the national debt ― most of that fueled by tax cuts for the wealthy. Since the federal debt owed to the public is about $12.8 trillion, that’s an increase of more than 87 percent. There’s not adding up, and then there’s not adding up, Trump style.

When the Tax Policy Center rendered its verdict on Romney’s tax plan in 2012, GOP politicians and intellectuals didn’t shrug their shoulders and say that hey, tax policies never add up. They did their best to defend it. Trump’s plan is so preposterous that even his surrogates won’t do that.

Newt Gingrich Repudiates Donald Trump's Economic Plan

Trump's economic plan is beyond nonsense. At least Hillary is being honest about hers. Trump has even stated that he can eliminate the national debt in 8 years. That kind of severe austerity would crush the economy and plunge Americans into economic chaos. However, I seriously doubt that a Congress controlled by either party would allow him to enact such draconian policies.

Last edited:
The Washington Post sums it up nicely:

Trump’s nonsensical claim he can eliminate $19 trillion in debt in eight years

We regret we have only Four Pinocchios to give for this whopper. Trump is insulting the intelligence of Americans for making such a claim in the first place.

Four Pinocchios
pinocchio_4.jpg

Well, in "fairness" Trump has had a LOT of experience in declaring bankruptcy....So maybe that is HIS way to eliminate the debt

(Trump is the ultimate clown.).

With all the skeletons in Trump's closet, combined with his very thin skin, I can't imagine why he has opened himself up to such ridicule - and it will only get worse over the next three months.

With all the skeletons in Trump's closet, combined with his very thin skin, I can't imagine why he has opened himself up to such ridicule - and it will only get worse over the next three months.

Probably Trump is already starting a long list of who he should blame for his humiliating loss in November....Let's see, we have:

The evil media
The RNC "elites"
All minorities
Foreigners
Babies crying at his speeches
etc., etc., etc.

WASHINGTON ― After a disastrous week for a Republican presidential nominee, you might have expected the party to circle the wagons and bring out its most prestigious leaders to defend their candidate, particularly in front of a friendly, conservative news outlet.

Speaker of the House Paul Ryan (R-Wis.), perhaps? Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), maybe? Nope. Donald Trump’s defense on “Fox News Sunday” came from a guy who left office in 1999, and who refuses to pay off the debt he accumulated from a quirky 2012 presidential campaign that served, in part, as a zoo tour.

Newt Gingrich did his best to defend Trump, and effectively attacked Hillary Clinton’s recent bizarre and false statements about her email scandal. But Gingrich also had to acknowledge that his candidate’s economic plan is nonsense. When host Chris Wallace asked whether Trump’s tax and spending plan adds up, Gingrich admitted the absurdity.

“Of course not,” Gingrich said. “Historically, no candidates have numbers that add up.”

It’s, let’s say, very unusual for campaign surrogates to acknowledge that their campaign’s entire economic policy is bunk.

Gingrich’s point is, in a sense, technically accurate and completely ridiculous. Republicans have been particularly egregious on this front. According to a conservative think tank, in the 2016 primary, Bobby Jindal offered a tax plan that would balloon the federal debt by $9 trillion. Other analysts said the Jeb Bush tax plan would cost $8.1 trillion. When Mitt Romney offered a $5 trillion tax cut in 2012 while vowing not to raise taxes on anybody, nonpartisan analysts noted this was impossible, and would require raising taxes on middle-class families. Clinton has acknowledged that her economic plan would require increasing the national debt by about 2 percent.

These could all be construed by deficit hawks as plans that do not add up. But Clinton, unlike the GOP, acknowledges that her plan involves deficit spending, rather than pretending that magic spending cuts or wild economic growth will fill the hole.

But according to Fox, Trump’s plan would add $11.2 trillion onto the national debt ― most of that fueled by tax cuts for the wealthy. Since the federal debt owed to the public is about $12.8 trillion, that’s an increase of more than 87 percent. There’s not adding up, and then there’s not adding up, Trump style.

When the Tax Policy Center rendered its verdict on Romney’s tax plan in 2012, GOP politicians and intellectuals didn’t shrug their shoulders and say that hey, tax policies never add up. They did their best to defend it. Trump’s plan is so preposterous that even his surrogates won’t do that.

Newt Gingrich Repudiates Donald Trump's Economic Plan

Trump's economic plan is beyond nonsense. At least Hillary is being honest about hers. Trump has even stated that he can eliminate the national debt in 8 years. That kind of severe austerity would crush the economy and plunge Americans into economic chaos. However, I seriously doubt that a Congress controlled by either party would allow him to enact such draconian policies.
The last 7 years have been a total joke...

We regret we have only Four Pinocchios to give for this whopper. Trump is insulting the intelligence of Americans for making such a claim in the first place.

Four Pinocchios
pinocchio_4.jpg

Simple! Like he said, he will just print more money. If that doesn't work, he will declare the US bankrupt, resign office and walk away with trillions.

The debates will be fun. Hillary sits there and rationallg debates while Comrade T turns dark orange and claims the questions are too hard. Maybe he will cry and his spray on tan will run.

Probably Trump is already starting a long list of who he should blame for his humiliating loss in November....Let's see, we have:

The evil media
The RNC "elites"
All minorities
Foreigners
etc., etc., etc.

Agree, and it's interesting to note that Trump's economic team consists of all rich white men - several
from the Reaganomics era.

Donald Trump’s new team of billionaire advisers could threaten his populist message

The Republican toadstools like Gingrich just won't go away. They're like ticks.

No surprise that trump has no economic plan other than 'trust me, it'll be huge'.

The evil media
The RNC "elites"
All minorities
Foreigners
etc., etc., etc.

Promises and pricetags.

As far back as I remember.

Oh! Trump is going to destroy the United States.

Our politicians and "YOU" throw "blame" at "everyone else" for the sorry state of affairs that this country is in.

I can't imagine why you have opened yourself up to such ridicule-and you will only get worse as long as you progressive Marxists breathe.

I have an aversion to Trump, but my aversion to the skeletons in Hillary's closet and your inherent need to satiate your desires by tonguing Hillary's ass, continuously, without fail, is more repulsive.

Gat a fucking life.

Again. I do not support Trump.

I heard somewhere on the national news today that Trump will announce his economic plan tomorrow, Monday.

Four Pinocchios
pinocchio_4.jpg

Trump isn't stupid .. he knew this wasn't going to fly.

He simply does not want to be president.

Tomorrow, he'll come up with something else stupid.

So, now that Trump has announced his economic plan - what do you think of it?

Still lacking details, but he walked away from some of his previous statements on tarriff. He played to the GOP establishment. But will he stick to his plan. Of course not....

First off Gingrich didn't say what the OP said he did the OP lied, wow shocker. Second of all the nerve of the left after Bernie promises $100 trillion in free shit and 'No Jobs Hillary' is promising crap she can't deliver left and right.

So I guess its another liberal double standard, the left can promise the moon and the right can't promise anything got it. /eyeroll

First off Gingrich didn't say what the OP said he did the OP lied, wow shocker. Second of all the nerve of the left after Bernie promises $100 trillion in free shit and 'No Jobs Hillary' is promising crap she can't deliver left and right.

So I guess its another liberal double standard, the left can promise the moon and the right can't promise anything got it. /eyeroll

So is this you supporting the impossible or being against the impossible? Its hard to tell

Forum List

Back