New York Times lied about 17 intelligence agencies saying Trump colluded with Russia. Just retracte

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
And here we have the Fake News of the day........they retract it......

NYT Corrects Story Claiming 17 Intel Agencies ‘Agree’ On Russia

The New York Times issued a correction Thursday on an article that incorrectly claimed all 17 U.S. intelligence agencies agreed that “Russia orchestrated the attacks, and did it to help get [Trump] elected.”

The original article, published June 25, covered certain reactions that President Donald Trump gave in response to Russian cyber attacks and interactions with the 2016 presidential election.

TheNYT’s correction notes that: “The assessment was made by four intelligence agencies — the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, the Central Intelligence Agency, the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the National Security Agency.

The assessment was not approved by all 17 organizations in the American intelligence community.”

Former candidate Hillary Clinton made the claim in late May that all 17 intelligence agencies agreed “that the Russians ran an extensive information war against my campaign to influence voters in the election.”

The New York Times issued a correction Thursday on an article that incorrectly claimed all 17 U.S. intelligence agencies agreed that “Russia orchestrated the attacks, and did it to help get [Trump] elected.”

The original article, published June 25, covered certain reactions that President Donald Trump gave in response to Russian cyber attacks and interactions with the 2016 presidential election.

TheNYT’s correction notes that: “The assessment was made by four intelligence agencies — the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, the Central Intelligence Agency, the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the National Security Agency.

The assessment was not approved by all 17 organizations in the American intelligence community.”

Former candidate Hillary Clinton made the claim in late May that all 17 intelligence agencies agreed “that the Russians ran an extensive information war against my campaign to influence voters in the election.”
Well......the thing is that the reports issued by the ODNI are officially the collective opinion of the Intelligence Community, even though I really doubt that the intel agencies of Treasury or the Coast Guard, or the DEA would have any kind of opinion on the matter. I did object to the 17 agencies claim on those grounds.

So, yes it was a stretch to say all 17 agencies agreed, as that was only true in that none disagreed. But it's not quite a lie. IF any had formally dissented, then yes it would have been a lie. But as far as I know, none did.

Critical thinking people knew or at least suspected that claim of 17 intelligent agencies agreeing was not true from the beginning. It's rather absurb to think so many agencies would be involved. May as well add the Postal Service to the list and make it 18 agencies.

Forum List

Back