New York Attorney General Poised To Pounce On Trump Pardons

Presidential pardon only applies at the federal level. It does not protect you from state charges.
You better hope you never break a federal law then. If you do and don't get convicted you only have to go through trial 50 times more to be let off.

That is just a stupid misunderstanding of the law. What jurisdiction would the other 49 states have over an action that took place in one state?

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com
An action by a politician or cabinet member or even a low level aid at the federal level has taken action or committed a crime against all 50 states. All we need to do now is decide if the red states or blue states will prosecute beyond the feds. The way I see it the Clinton's, Comey, Lynch etc should all be currently prosecuted by every red state in the nation.

Keep in mind DC isn't a state. Everything done there is at the federal level and therefore effects all of the states. If we're going to let the states take over federal prosecution there is no state that can be denied their chance at prosecution on their own.

Which actually brings on the next question. What good is the SCOTUS? If their rules aren't nation wide because states can retry and prosecute on their own doesn't that make SCOTUS rulings worthless?

Do us all a favor and learn a thing about jurisdiction, this hissy fit you are throwing is embarrassing.

There are some of us who believe is states rights and do not think the Fed is god

I didn't expect you to just throw in the towel. Very disappointing. You could have at least pointed out one thing wrong with my post.

The whole damn thing is wrong, it is like it was written by a 10 year old having a hissy fit at their parents. Something that affects a state does not give the state jurisdiction.

The problem is you see the Fed Govt as god, they are the ultimate power and the states are should bow down to the Fed. That is not how it is supposed to be in this country.

Dual Sovereignty has been the law for longer than you have been alive and none of your Fed is god fantasies have ever happened, but please do not let that stop you from having your delusions .

The lefts war on just law continues. What could possibly go wrong with ending double jeapordy protections? Just keep prosecuting a case over and over until the defendant is bankrupt and can’t hire a lawyer or contradicts previous testimony in any way then get them for perjury.

The left won’t be happy until we have a system of law that looks like the Salem witch trials.

You know, your state has a dual sovereignty law that allows them to ignore double jeopardy for certain cases...

The dual sovereignty law allows the state to charge and try people for the same offense they were charged with on a Fed Level.

Felony gun crimes are an area where it is used

So if you’re charged with a federal crime each of the 50 states can then charge you if they don’t like the result. Well that shouldn’t be concerning at all.

It has been the law of the land in your state (and many others I am sure) for longer than you have been alive. Have you seen any thing to be concerned about in regards to it?

The SCOTUS has ruled it does not violate the Constitution on numerous occasions going back to at least the 1950s

What I see is an off the wall law that's never been an issue becoming a partisan weapon. The dems are going to use this to get Trump. And typical when the left wingers go all stupid on things like this the repubs will then respond in kind withe dems who will then scream about racism or some stupid ass thing because that's how they do shit and in the mean time we
5ad80e411e0000fb077b1e77.jpeg

New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman has asked lawmakers to amend the state’s double jeopardy law so pardoned Trump aides could be held accountable for criminal activity.

“Presidents have used this power sparingly, largely to do justice, rather than subvert it,” Eric Schneiderman writes.

New York’s attorney general has asked officials to change state law so President Donald Trump’s aides can be tried for any criminal acts committed in the state, even if they have been given a presidential pardon.

In a letter sent to New York’s top lawmakers, including Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo, Attorney General Eric Schneiderman (D) said that he was troubled by Trump’s frequent discussion of his ability to issue pardons and that he was worried those who had committed crimes in the state would escape prosecution. New York has a double jeopardy law that prevents individuals from being charged with the same crime twice, even if the charges originated at the federal level.

“New York’s statutory protections could result in the unintended and unjust consequence of insulating someone pardoned for serious federal crimes from subsequent prosecution for state crimes,” Schneiderman wrote in the letter, dated April 18. “Even if that person was never tried or convicted in federal court, and never served a single day in federal prison.”

New York currently has 12 exceptions carved out of its double jeopardy law, and Schneiderman has proposed the pardon issue be carved out in a similar fashion. The Constitution protects against multiple prosecutions for the same offense, but only at the federal level.

“Since the Nation’s founding, presidents have used this power sparingly, largely to do justice, rather than subvert it,” Schneiderman writes in his letter. “Yet recent reports indicate that the President may be considering issuing pardons that may impede criminal investigations.”

More: New York Attorney General Pushes To Sidestep Any Trump Pardons

Sounds like a very wise move by the NY AG. What do you think?
Good luck with this..

Power of the pardon is absolute. This idiot will find himself in jail and facing million dollar civil rights violations for unlawful prosecution...

Trump can't pardon for state crimes.
sure he can

Wrong again....

Presidential Pardons

One key thing to keep in mind: Presidential pardons only apply to federal criminal acts against the United States.

You know, your state has a dual sovereignty law that allows them to ignore double jeopardy for certain cases...

The dual sovereignty law allows the state to charge and try people for the same offense they were charged with on a Fed Level.

Felony gun crimes are an area where it is used

So if you’re charged with a federal crime each of the 50 states can then charge you if they don’t like the result. Well that shouldn’t be concerning at all.

It has been the law of the land in your state (and many others I am sure) for longer than you have been alive. Have you seen any thing to be concerned about in regards to it?

The SCOTUS has ruled it does not violate the Constitution on numerous occasions going back to at least the 1950s

What I see is an off the wall law that's never been an issue becoming a partisan weapon. The dems are going to use this to get Trump. And typical when the left wingers go all stupid on things like this the repubs will then respond in kind withe dems who will then scream about racism or some stupid ass thing because that's how they do shit and in the mean time we

New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman has asked lawmakers to amend the state’s double jeopardy law so pardoned Trump aides could be held accountable for criminal activity.

“Presidents have used this power sparingly, largely to do justice, rather than subvert it,” Eric Schneiderman writes.

New York’s attorney general has asked officials to change state law so President Donald Trump’s aides can be tried for any criminal acts committed in the state, even if they have been given a presidential pardon.

In a letter sent to New York’s top lawmakers, including Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo, Attorney General Eric Schneiderman (D) said that he was troubled by Trump’s frequent discussion of his ability to issue pardons and that he was worried those who had committed crimes in the state would escape prosecution. New York has a double jeopardy law that prevents individuals from being charged with the same crime twice, even if the charges originated at the federal level.

“New York’s statutory protections could result in the unintended and unjust consequence of insulating someone pardoned for serious federal crimes from subsequent prosecution for state crimes,” Schneiderman wrote in the letter, dated April 18. “Even if that person was never tried or convicted in federal court, and never served a single day in federal prison.”

New York currently has 12 exceptions carved out of its double jeopardy law, and Schneiderman has proposed the pardon issue be carved out in a similar fashion. The Constitution protects against multiple prosecutions for the same offense, but only at the federal level.

“Since the Nation’s founding, presidents have used this power sparingly, largely to do justice, rather than subvert it,” Schneiderman writes in his letter. “Yet recent reports indicate that the President may be considering issuing pardons that may impede criminal investigations.”

Good luck with this..

Power of the pardon is absolute. This idiot will find himself in jail and facing million dollar civil rights violations for unlawful prosecution...

sure he can

Wrong again....

Presidential Pardons

One key thing to keep in mind: Presidential pardons only apply to federal criminal acts against the United States.
Or not. Look at Clinton’s

Good luck with this..

sure he can

Wrong again....

Presidential Pardons

Bill Clinton pardoned someone for a state level crime? Do you have a link to that?

Good luck with this..

sure he can

Wrong again....

Presidential Pardons

Bill Clinton pardoned someone for a state level crime? Do you have a link to that?

I'll concede that, I'm not going to open all 152 pardons. But having said all of that, if every pardon is because of a federal crime, how is it a state can say anything about the pardon? if they wish to waste tax money and retry at a state court, seems ridiculous because it was Donald Trump, eh? I'll just continue to laugh at the stupid.

Good luck with this..

Wrong again...

Your not very good at this game are you....

Again, Presidential pardons are absolute. Read your Constitution..

So you guys want to get rid of protection from double jeopardy now...

And this doesn’t bother you?

Good luck with this..

Wrong again...

Your not very good at this game are you....

Again, Presidential pardons are absolute. Read your Constitution..

No, you are wrong...

Presidential Pardons

Forum List

Back