New Study: 46% of American renters spent 30% or more of their income on housing

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
According to recent data from the U.S. Census Bureau, 46% of American renters spent 30% or more of their income on housing in 2020, including 23% who spent at least 50% of their income this way.

This means that nearly half of all renters in the United States are considered "cost-burdened," which is defined as spending more than 30% of their income on housing costs.

This is a significant increase from previous years, and it highlights the growing problem of housing affordability in the United States.

What percent of renters pay 0% of their income to housing by government assistance?

What percent of renters pay a reduced housing expense by .gov subsidy?

Given the staggering amount of taxes I pay between the feds/state/local I wonder about things like this and the hell of it is they are always looking to steal more from me.

8g9gIIC.jpg

Last edited:
A lot of households in Orange County Florida are living two, or three families per home because rents are so high.

You know I heard of this newfangled idea.

It's called a roommate and I guess the way it works is that this roommate will pay half of the rent and utilities.

WOW why hasn't anyone thought of this before?

Capitalism leads to high housing prices and people blame.. the government???

The answer is more fair distribution of incomes, not less. You guys are crazy.

I'm not that type I know they need a place to live or will be on the streets. These greedy owners here need to come down on the rent prices they are way over the top.
Given the damage a over-occupied rental will get I don't fault the landlord.....It's called a single-family unit for a reason.

That's why you see an increase in rental property construction now a days. It traps people into paying rent their entire lives and the renters know they have them. If you rent and spend so much on rent and food and such then you can't afford to buy a home. You're always stuck paying rent that never ends and you can't get out of it very easily.

In my area it fucking sucks. I've seen more apartment buildings built in the past 2 years than I have single family homes.

Apartment living also traps people in a area for most Americans. Get enough renters in a area and most of them probably don't travel more than 50 miles for 95% of the year. But that's the goal, put all the middle class and poor people in areas where everything they need is close meanwhile the rich buy up all the real land

According to recent data from the U.S. Census Bureau, 46% of American renters spent 30% or more of their income on housing in 2020, including 23% who spent at least 50% of their income this way.

This means that nearly half of all renters in the United States are considered "cost-burdened," which is defined as spending more than 30% of their income on housing costs.

This is a significant increase from previous years, and it highlights the growing problem of housing affordability in the United States.

What percent of renters pay 0% of their income to housing by government assistance?

What percent of renters pay a reduced housing expense by .gov subsidy?

Given the staggering amount of taxes I pay between the feds/state/local I wonder about things like this and the hell of it is they are always looking to steal more from me.

8g9gIIC.jpg

The ugly side of capitalism.
These increases are not related to costs but strictly to greed.

And it will get worse.

And yet here on The Island, houses go on the market and the next thing you know it’s under contract.

Forum List

Back