New eco-friendly home for Vatican Swiss Guards

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
"My life would be unthinkable without the Swiss Guards. They are always near me, day and night,” are the words of Pope Francis in the presentation of the plans. “Their professionalism, discipline, discretion, reliability and courtesy,” he wrote, “fill me with a great sense of gratitude.” “They are young men with a disciplined daily life, working 24 hours a day to assure me safety. For this reason it is extremely important that in the Vatican, which is becoming more and more a second homeland for them, their wives and children, that they have modern and at the same time safe housing," the Pope wrote.

The project is being financed by the Foundation for the Renovation of the Barracks of the Papal Swiss Guard in the Vatican, a Swiss charity established in Solothurn in 2016. The president of the Foundation Jean-Pierre Roth, Commander Christoph Graf, architects Pia Durisch and Aldo Nolli, and a delegation from the Foundation had several meetings in the Vatican in recent days to present the new project.

The Swiss Guards have always been rather fascinating. At least, interesting. Fascinating might be a stretch.

And this is the swearing in ceremony that took place today.

Don't be fooled by the crazy outfits. These men would lay down their lives to protect the Pope. One time, that really happened.

working 24 hours a day? wrong.....they have a round the clock guard, I would think...but they don't individually work 24 hours a day....big deal...we did that in the USMC--and much more
..in fact, we had exercises that did last 24 hours....plus other commitments where we would not get much sleep at all..I did guard duty for 4 years then FMF four years

Forum List

Back