New Diabetes Drug Question

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by Merlin, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Merlin

Merlin Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I have been told about a recently FDA approved drug called Cymbalta (Duloxetine) for diabetes patients. I heard about it yesterday and spent most of the night reading on the web about it. My question is, has any of you used it personally or know anyone that has used it, and if so, what is your/their opinion. The Doctors has tried about everything else for my wife's diabetes and the pain in her legs and I don't want to be running to them requesting medicine without some yeas or nays. She's had diabetes for 14 years and takes 160 units of insulin a day. They have told her she is in the last stages now. This is the only site I know of I can ask questions about health, so thanks for any information you can give about diabetes.

2. krisy

krisy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112

My sister in law's mother has diabetes and it too is pretty far along. She got hers while pregnant with her fourth child. She is legally blind and going to have to start dialysis(sp) soon. I'm waiting for a call back from my sis in law now,I will ask her if her or her mom knows anything about this. She is also a medical coder for a hospital here and knows a lot about different medical issues. I'm sorry to hear about your wife,I wish you guys the best.

3. krisy

krisy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Merlin,

I checked with my sister in law and her mom isn't on any drugs right now,just the dialysis and I guess insulin? She suggested getting on a diabetes chat board to see what others may think of it. Good luck!

4. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,865
    Granny says dat's how come she ain't got the diabetes...
    :eusa_eh:
    Study Finds Marijuana Helps Control Blood Sugar, Waistlines
    May 17, 2013 - Marijuana has been used for centuries to relieve pain, improve mood and increase appetite. A new study suggests that the herb also has a positive effect on blood sugar levels, suggesting it could be helpful in diabetes control.

5. Sarah G

Sarah G When Nothing Goes Right, Go Left Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,974
    Isn't that an anti depressant? I was reading just now that it causes your sugar to go up. Research everything, I just noticed a couple of comments that people are saying it's a bad drug.

6. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,865
    Many Africans unaware of diabetes...
    :eusa_eh:
    Many Africans with Diabetes Unaware of Illness
    September 05, 2013 — A study published in the World Diabetes Atlas says that more than 80 percent of people living with diabetes in sub-Saharan Africa do not know that they suffer from the disease. Sub-Saharan Africa has more than 15 million of the 371 million people living with diabetes in the world.

7. ralphgrant

ralphgrant Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No. I have not used it yet. But we are making some first hand research on it ourselves before using the drugs.