New Data Show California Kids’ Math Achievement Took A Nosedive After Common Core .

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
Who would of thought????

California Kids' Math Achievement Took A Nosedive After Common Core

Before Common Core came along, California parents, faculty, and officials spent years developing some of the best-ranked K-12 math requirements in the nation. One result of their careful work was more than tripling the number of eighth graders who ranked proficient in math, and quadrupling the number of eighth graders taking algebra.

By 2014, California was the top state in the nation in eighth-grade algebra enrollment. That was the year Common Core went into place. It erased all those gains almost immediately, shows a new Hoover Institution analysis.

The shocking graphs in the study by Bill Evers and Ze’ev Wurman tell the whole story in one glance. Here’s one. For reference, the Obama administration pushed states into Common Core in 2010, but it started phasing into schools at the earliest in 2013, and more in earnest in 2014 and 2015. That’s right when all the achievement jumps off a cliff.

3_1.png

n the four years under Common Core, the number of eighth graders taking Algebra I in California dropped precipitously to 19 percent in 2017, taking California back to where it was around 1999, when early algebra taking was the privilege of the elite. And while all demographic groups lost ground, the loss for Latino and African American students was much deeper than for white and Asian Americans,” write Wurman and Evers, who both vainly voted against California adopting Common Core on a state commission. The graph below shows the deeper damage to minority students in more detail.

Attachments

• 4_1.png
    4_1.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 127
It's all demographics. Closely examine the demographics of the school system, and you will find the true explanation for declining test scores in California. The kids aren't getting "dumber," they are simply being infiltrated with masses of foreign-born, low-intelligence peers, who drag down the averages.

It's all demographics. Don't lose sight of it, because EVERYONE in Academe and Media wants to hide it.

Sure...Common Core was not a liberal/con-servative thing...it's just bad teaching....more excuses to avoid tracking which works.

So how did this crap really get started and how was it allowed to go on for so long. Why were teachers so powerless?

Is the educational system too Imperialistic regardless of whether or not it is dominated by Conservatives or Liberals?

Not surprising...math teachers I know hate it.

Common Core actually took its hold in the early/mid 2000s.

Here's the roots of the common core math. It started with Terc and others like them. Largely Terc, though.

Anyone who really wants to understand precisely how the math changed and why students aren't ready for college when they get there might benefit from this old Terc review. My own son used to bring these Terc math workbooks home. I went to war over that one but it was a losing battle. I ended up taking him out of public school and sending him to private school.

This is really a well done piece and a relevant review which reflects the problems students are faced wit htoday.

TERC Hands-On Math: The Truth is in The Details

I teach English and math however it's important to point out that Common Core is merely a set of standards and not a curriculum. My state has its own set of standards (which honestly are basically Common Core), but technically I don't officially teach to the national Common Core standards.

Standards=finish line
Curriculum=how you reach the finish line

Whenever you see those "can you figure this Common Core math question out?" online what you're really looking at is the curriculum and not Common Core.

Now there are tons of things wrong with public education, but here's a real life example of what I had this past year:

I had a kid who was a constant disruption and disrespectful...here are the actions I took with this kid: spoke with his dad on the phone (5 times), met with his dad in person (2 times), wrote a referral (4 times), contacted his football coach at the school (2 times), moved his seat (numerous times), offered him positive reinforcement (numerous times), emailed his guidance counselor (numerous times), asked him what I could do to make class better for him (numerous times)...NOTHING changed. An AP emailed all of his teachers saying that she was giving up with this kid and would not deal with him any longer...that's great expect that he's still in our classes every single day. Everyday he was still in my classroom and ready to disrupt the education of his peers. He was this way in all of his other class as I spoke with his other teachers...he was even arrested at the school for possessing drugs and dealing...back in my class 3 days later. He'll be back at the school next and the following year before he doesn't graduate and all because the district doesn't want to deal with the headache of expelling him and doesn't offer a reasonable career pathway for him.

From my experience and speaking with other teachers this is getting worse and worse.

Not surprising...math teachers I know hate it.

Common Core actually took its hold in the early/mid 2000s.

Here's the roots of the common core math. It started with Terc and others like them. Largely Terc, though.

Anyone who really wants to understand precisely how the math changed and why students aren't ready for college when they get there might benefit from this old Terc review. My own son used to bring these Terc math workbooks home. I went to war over that one but it was a losing battle. I ended up taking him out of public school and sending him to private school.

This is really a well done piece and a relevant review which reflects the problems students are faced wit htoday.

TERC Hands-On Math: The Truth is in The Details

I read through your Terc link. Bizarre. For the life of me I can't figure out how these alternatives are supposed to improve anything. It almost seems the idea is to make the simple complicated.

Who would of thought????

California Kids' Math Achievement Took A Nosedive After Common Core

Before Common Core came along, California parents, faculty, and officials spent years developing some of the best-ranked K-12 math requirements in the nation. One result of their careful work was more than tripling the number of eighth graders who ranked proficient in math, and quadrupling the number of eighth graders taking algebra.

By 2014, California was the top state in the nation in eighth-grade algebra enrollment. That was the year Common Core went into place. It erased all those gains almost immediately, shows a new Hoover Institution analysis.

The shocking graphs in the study by Bill Evers and Ze’ev Wurman tell the whole story in one glance. Here’s one. For reference, the Obama administration pushed states into Common Core in 2010, but it started phasing into schools at the earliest in 2013, and more in earnest in 2014 and 2015. That’s right when all the achievement jumps off a cliff.

3_1.png

n the four years under Common Core, the number of eighth graders taking Algebra I in California dropped precipitously to 19 percent in 2017, taking California back to where it was around 1999, when early algebra taking was the privilege of the elite. And while all demographic groups lost ground, the loss for Latino and African American students was much deeper than for white and Asian Americans,” write Wurman and Evers, who both vainly voted against California adopting Common Core on a state commission. The graph below shows the deeper damage to minority students in more detail.
Common core was ill conceived in the least! It taught math out of order! A big fucking joke! It fucked the US not just California!
Chased me out of adult education, the students just could not keep up!

Forum List

Back