Nelson Mandela dead

One of the most moving experiences of my life was watching Mandela cast his first vote --- which happened to be for himself as president.

Amazing.

And watching the brief history of his life tonight on the news amazed me again.

I was bawling back in 1994 and bawling again tonight.

The world is better because Mandela was here.

I wonder if it's possible for the mods to come in here and clean this thread up before it gets out of hand?

The topical matter seems important enough to warrant such atypical intervention.

What a tribute to Mandela, first thing you want to do is implement censorship.
Just block out the things you don;t want to hear.
If you are going to remember someone, you have to remember both sides, good and bad.
Yes he did end Apartheid but he did it with violence.... Check out the definition of a Mandela Necklace.

Someone mentioned that to me a few minutes ago. ( necklace and Winnie Mandela ) And I will. I want to learn more. I am not too familiar with his history, other than the kind of man I have perceived him to be and for the people he helped. What a human being to undergo prison for 27 years and consider it a way to help one become more introspective.

How pathetic and unreasoned of you...but...thanks in part to George Washington you have that right....

And thanks to Nelson Mandela, the black majority population of South Africa are no longer legally second-class citizens.

Why is it "unreasoned" to compare the two?

:lol:.. I give up.. be pro-terrorist to your hearts content

If George Washington and Nelson Mandela are "terrorists" in your mind, then I absolutely am "pro-terrorist".

Another one of my friends has checked out, to go back to from where he came. I'm sure glad angels come and hangout with us for a while from time to time. I can't think of anyone that ever did more for the whole world, Thanks my friend, happy trails.......
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgw_yprN_-w]Roy Rogers - Happy trails - YouTube[/ame]

With great change a revolution has to occur and with that comes unfortunate violence. Mandella was the Father of Democracy and led his people out from under an oppressive regime and extreme racism.

What happened there can be compared to the American Revolution.

Can we stop politicizing this man's death please? Geez. Why do people feel the need to make politics out of death? He's one of the iconic figures of the 20th Century, and all we can do is how it impacts us politically? For pete's sakes, knock it off.

There's just a handful of figures I place in that iconic category - Mahatma Ghandi, Martin Luther King, and Nelson Madella....others may have different names.

I'm with you TK - it's petty ot politicize. He did something most of us would never have the courage or ability to do.

Considering how evil Apartheid is as a system, I have very little issue with the violence used to end it, especially when you look at how Mandela acted when he'd won. He could have enacted a holocaust and gotten away with it. Instead he embraced his former oppressors. There comes a time that peaceful resistance ends. The Founders knew that too.

They call peumonia the "Old man's friend, because it kills them quickly and painlessly"
Long overdue. Just goes to prove you can't fool mother nature, no matter how hard you try.

Like that crisp clear and beautiful May morning so long ago, the air so crystal clear you thought you could look up and see forever, when Angela the hairdresser (Born Angel) was in to pick up her estrogen and progesterone injections, (State Medicaid of course) blouse open down to the third button, copious black chest hair flowing over the exposed areas of the starkly white brassiere she (it) was wearing.

It is amazing that Mandella lived to 95

I remember when he got out of prison he had serious health issues. For him to live another 30 years was amazing
That's like my grandmother. (father's mother)

When I was born in the mid 70's she was already pretty old, in her 70s herself

She just passed in 2010 at the young age of 102.

She was the oldest woman on the island.

The island dignitaries attended her funeral.

It was a lovely send-off.

Mandela was a strong man.

You're a pinhead?

No, but I don't diminish a mans accomplishments simply because he was a communist. Should I ignore the positive impact he's had on the world?

He didn't have a positive impact on the world. He had an impact on South Africa how positive it is still hasn't been resolved. But not the world. The tendency is to blow his accomplishments all out of proportion.
I don't agree.

His plan of justice and forgiveness has been a guiding beacon in revolutions which have occurred since his.

As we know from Afg, Iraq, Libya, Egypt and the rest, the tough part is not the slaughter of the revolution but of the reconciliation and cooperation that must come after.

No, but I don't diminish a mans accomplishments simply because he was a communist. Should I ignore the positive impact he's had on the world?

He didn't have a positive impact on the world. He had an impact on South Africa how positive it is still hasn't been resolved. But not the world. The tendency is to blow his accomplishments all out of proportion.
I don't agree.

His plan of justice and forgiveness has been a guiding beacon in revolutions which have occurred since his.

As we know from Afg, Iraq, Libya, Egypt and the rest, the tough part is not the slaughter of the revolution but of the reconciliation and cooperation that must come after.

Well said :)

And thanks to Nelson Mandela, the black majority population of South Africa are no longer legally second-class citizens.

Why is it "unreasoned" to compare the two?

If George Washington and Nelson Mandela are "terrorists" in your mind, then I absolutely am "pro-terrorist".

Bullshit.. you're the one saying the Continental Army was nothing more than a band of terrorists.

Bullshit.. you're the one saying the Continental Army was nothing more than a band of terrorists.

No, I'm saying that Nelson Mandela and the founding fathers are equivalent.

You are the one calling them terrorists.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Reagan made it to 93.

Were you as equally moved.

Of course not.

I voted for Reagan twice.....I was sad to see the guy go

There are points in life where you have to shut the fuck up and honor a great man. It is sad that you cannot grasp that

Time to show some class big guy

You have to consider the total package not just pick out what you want to believe or have been told to believe. Mandela had a lot to atone for .. and many died because of his terrorist activities.

How many years can a mountain exist,
before it is washed to the sea?
How many years can some people exist,
before they're allowed to be free?
And how many times can a man turn his head,
and pretend that he just doesn't see?

How many people have to die before they're allowed to be free? Should Mandella have done nothing?

I think freedom and justice always carries a price in blood. There's a point at which injustice can not be allowed to continue.

Show me where I said that or shut the hell up..

Last edited:

Show me where I said that or shut the hell up..

It's pretty simple.

You claimed that Nelson Mandela was a "terrorist" for doing the same thing as the Founding Fathers. I did nothing other than point that fact out.

If you can articulate a reason why they're not comparable, feel free to do so.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back