NBC's Chuck Todd: Our Poll Was Skewed...

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
No, GE/NBC definitely isn't in the tank for Obama/Democrats. No way.

Last night, I noted how NBC News was swimming against historical trends in pushing a poll with a deeply partisan skew in its sample. The poll, produced in conjunction with The Wall Street Journal, had a D+11 sample, i.e. 46% of the sample identified as Democrat, 35% identified as Republican. In 2008, a very big year for Democrats, the electorate was D+7, 39% Democrat, 32% Republican. In fact, you have to go back nearly thirty years to find an election with such a partisan skew.

This morning, on MSNBC's Morning Joe, NBC political director Chuck Todd admitted their poll had a skewed sample (around 3:50 mark) and stated that, if this poll were weighted similarly to their last poll, the race would have been unchanged, instead of Obama extending his lead over Romney to 6 points. (Of course, this invites the question as to why they didn't use the same weighting in this sample.)

Credit to Mr. Todd, then. Of course, when he previewed the polls results on a local NBC affiliate yesterday, he didn't mention anything about the skewed sample. And, of course, his acknowledgement that the poll oversampled Democrats by a wide margin hasn't stopped him from opining about lots of other information "found" in the poll.

Note to Mr. Todd: a highly partisan skew doesn't just affect the head-to-head match up. It affects pretty much every other finding in the poll. Obama and Romney's likability? Who is better to handle particular issues? Every single "result" will be skewed due to the flawed sample used in the poll. There is simply almost no real information to be accurately "learned" from this poll...

Read More:
NBC's Chuck Todd: Our Poll Was Skewed

I suspect the switchboards lit up like highway flares.

I suspect more and more people are getting an understanding of how polls work and were quick to check the ratio of participants.

I suspect Chuck Todd didn't have much choice but to admit it. Sorry, no credit earned :)

And they wonder why they are losing credibility? Right from the get go to claim Obama's a shoe in when every other poll out there has this a neck and neck horse race and they come out with Obama so far ahead, you would think that someone with any ounce of professionalism left in their body would say "we can't put this out there we'll look like rabid in the tank for the President assholes".

:lol:

Un freaking real.

Wow! The LMSM sacrificing their credibility to keep Fearless Leader looking good

Shocking!

and oh so ethical too

Well to be fair 10% of the votes for Dems are fictional and/or dead people anyway so maybe that is a fair sampling

Thanks for posting this.

I watched Larry O'birdbrain on his show (the Last Word...and I keep hoping it is his last), whizzing all over the stage in glee at these numbers. Everyone else is reporting that it is virtual tie and these guys are showing this stuff.

You'd think on a national cable news network (o.k. news ?...sorry), they'd at least do a sanity check of such a large swing.

NBC come on, we all know who they are. They have an office at the DNC so they can get their orders face to face. These polls depend on who pays for them. We are not going to know for sure until November. I am sure that both parties will get the poll numbers they want but to listen to NBC for accuracy is rediculous.

When I first saw the results of this poll, my first thought was, was there anyone who truly believed Obama had a 6% lead ? I sincerely doub t it.

This is just more evidence that NBC has completely lost it's ability to be objective.
They are so skewed to the left now, that they no longer have any credibility.

Thanks for posting this.

I watched Larry O'birdbrain on his show (the Last Word...and I keep hoping it is his last), whizzing all over the stage in glee at these numbers. Everyone else is reporting that it is virtual tie and these guys are showing this stuff.

You'd think on a national cable news network (o.k. news ?...sorry), they'd at least do a sanity check of such a large swing.

They're GE/Jeffrey Immelt-owned hacks. NBC is dead as far as i'm concerned. They can never get their credibility back. It's over.

Thanks for posting this.

They're GE/Jeffrey Immelt-owned hacks. NBC is dead as far as i'm concerned. They can never get their credibility back. It's over.

When did they ever have any ?

When Keith Uberstupid was on doing his Special Comment (the closest thing to an on-air orgasm you'll ever see).

Last night, I noted how NBC News was swimming against historical trends in pushing a poll with a deeply partisan skew in its sample. The poll, produced in conjunction with The Wall Street Journal, had a D+11 sample, i.e. 46% of the sample identified as Democrat, 35% identified as Republican. In 2008, a very big year for Democrats, the electorate was D+7, 39% Democrat, 32% Republican. In fact, you have to go back nearly thirty years to find an election with such a partisan skew.

This morning, on MSNBC's Morning Joe, NBC political director Chuck Todd admitted their poll had a skewed sample (around 3:50 mark) and stated that, if this poll were weighted similarly to their last poll, the race would have been unchanged, instead of Obama extending his lead over Romney to 6 points. (Of course, this invites the question as to why they didn't use the same weighting in this sample.)

Credit to Mr. Todd, then. Of course, when he previewed the polls results on a local NBC affiliate yesterday, he didn't mention anything about the skewed sample. And, of course, his acknowledgement that the poll oversampled Democrats by a wide margin hasn't stopped him from opining about lots of other information "found" in the poll.

Note to Mr. Todd: a highly partisan skew doesn't just affect the head-to-head match up. It affects pretty much every other finding in the poll. Obama and Romney's likability? Who is better to handle particular issues? Every single "result" will be skewed due to the flawed sample used in the poll. There is simply almost no real information to be accurately "learned" from this poll...

Read More:

Which makes this different than Rasmussen, how?

The Dem base is energized because Obama's has promised them more of our stuff if he's reelected

Read More:

Which makes this different than Rasmussen, how?

Rasmussen is an admitted conservative.

Admitting he is a conservative is enough for people who care about polls to take that into consideration when looking at his polls.

NBC News claims to be non partisan.

They polled 25% liberals and 39% conservatives in that poll. Chuck Todd apparently doesn't know what the demographics of the electorate are.

Thanks for posting this.

The Wall Street Journal is owned by conservative icon Rupert Murdoch.

People, just for perspective, keep in mind that the rightwing nut crowd claimed that the 2008 polls were wrong right up until the day McCain lost.

Forum List

Back