Nationalism Is ALWAYS Dangerous

Status
Not open for further replies.
rtwngAvngr said:
No. This is just so much political correctness.
It's similar to saying selfishnes is bad, which we all know is just a gross simplification designed to inspire guilt. Why don't you tell me which actual definition of nationalism is so awful. I'm not going to repeat the Kathianne discussion with you.

PC, selfishness....are you joking? Surely you can do better than that.

How about this, just name one nation-state that does not or has not practiced legal cultural discrimmination. Now this doesn't have to be something violent mind you, just handing out fines or passing discriminatory legislation.

Said1 said:
PC, selfishness....are you joking? Surely you can do better than that.

How about this, just name one nation-state that does not or has not practiced legal cultural discrimmination. Now this doesn't have to be something violent mind you, just handing out fines or passing discriminatory legislation.

It's a good analogy. And frankly, your other issues is oh so tangential, having very little to do with nationalim.

rtwngAvngr said:
It's a good analogy. And frankly, your other issues is oh so tangential, having very little to do with nationalim.

No, it's not a good analogy and yes the other 'issues' are tangible since they exist primarily in nation-states.

Said1 said:
No, it's not a good analogy and yes the other 'issues' are tangible since they exist primarily in nation-states.

It is a good one. And your desperate grasping to find SOME way to legitimate the political correctness you've internalized and of which you may be unaware is telling.

Just simmer down, read this, and tell me which definition offends you the most.

2 entries found for nationalism.
na·tion·al·ism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (nsh-n-lzm, nshn-)
n.
Devotion to the interests or culture of one's nation.
The belief that nations will benefit from acting independently rather than collectively, emphasizing national rather than international goals.
Aspirations for national independence in a country under foreign domination.

rtwngAvngr said:
It is a good one. And your desperate grasping to find SOME way to legitimate the political correctness you've internalized and of which you may be unaware is telling.

No it isn't a good one. Political Correctness is about tolerance and acceptance, which nationalist do not have. Are YOU so desperate to appear to know what you're talking about that you've mixed up the two?

Why don't you grasp that google button and name that ever so tolerante nation-state.

Said1 said:
No it isn't a good one. Political Correctness is about tolerance and acceptance, which nationalist do not have. Are YOU so desperate to appear to know what you're talking about that you've mixed up the two?

Why don't you grasp that google button and name that ever so tolerante nation-state.

You still aren't counting Israel?

Political Correctness is about stifling critical thinking behind nice sounding slogans.

simplistic value statements like "nationalism is bad", are the result of the politicization of the languge, also known as political correctness.

rtwngAvngr said:
Political Correctness is about stifling critical thinking behind nice sounding slogans.

simplistic value statements like "nationalism is bad", are the result of the politicization of the languge, also known as political correctness.

Like, "America, Love it or Leave it"? That's PC?

rtwngAvngr said:

So it's not about toleration and making special exceptions for others who are culturally different (for starters) that's a nationalistic philosophy, now?

Ha, this from the king of simplistic political slogans.

Kathianne said:
Like, "America, Love it or Leave it"? That's PC?

PC uses slogans, but not all slogans are pc- ness.

No. This is a choice some would like others to make. A good example of political correctness is calling Race based discrimination "affirmative action". Or it can be a case of villifying certain words because of past events, saying things like "nationalism is always dangerous".

Said1 said:
So it's not about toleration and making special exceptions for others who are culturally different (for starters) that's a nationalistic philosophy, now?

Ha, this from the king of simplistic political slogans.

You need a breather.

rtwngAvngr said:

No. This is a choice some would like others to make. A good example of political correctness is calling Race based discrimination "affirmative action". Or it can be a case of villifying certain words because of past events, saying things like "nationalism is always dangerous".

OUr national values happen to include a measure of tolerance and freedom which makes us discernably and measurably better.

Pretty PC sounding to me and an awful lot unlike nation-states.

Or have the PCers gotten carried away, not unlike the nationalists? :laugh:

Said1 said:
Pretty PC sounding to me and an awful lot unlike nation-states.

Or have the PCers gotten carried away, not unlike the nationalists? :laugh:

I'm not saying nationalism is political correctness. I'm saying your negative associations about the word, which are clearly extradefinitional, are a RESULT of political correctness and indoctrination.

rtwngAvngr said:

The only thing 'wrong' with what I wrote would be 'always'. Only then if we assume US someday becomes 'nationalistic' then time will tell if I was right or wrong. For now, I'll buy one should watch that kind of word.

rtwngAvngr said:
I'm not saying nationalism is political correctness, I'm saying your negative associations about the word, which are clearly extradefinitional, are a RESULT of political correctness and indoctrination.

No. You're wrong. My associations from the word stem from history and what nationalist stand for both in the past and presently. Patriots embrace everyone, nationalists do not. Again, name one nation-state or nationalist minded country that does not behave in that manner.

Kathianne said:
The only thing 'wrong' with what I wrote would be 'always'. Only then if we assume US someday becomes 'nationalistic' then time will tell if I was right or wrong. For now, I'll buy one should watch that kind of word.

No. You still misunderstand. It's values of the nation that are right or wrong, not the belief or faith in them.

Again I refer to the selfishness example. We don't say that the selfishness of criminals, those who satify their needs immorally, is wrong, and the selfishness of law abiding people is right, but rather we analyze the mode and means through which those needs are satisfied.

This is similar to the new age doctrine that, "all judgement is wrong". This is just an attempt to guilt people out of their values or their critical thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back