Nationalism Is ALWAYS Dangerous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Said1 said:
No. You're wrong. My associations from the word stem from history and what nationalist stand for both in the past and presently. Patriots embrace everyone, nationalists do not. Again, name one nation-state or nationalist minded country that does not behave in that manner.

None of those associations are in the dictionary. Nationalists have only been labelled as such when they do very bad things. Thus, the word carries a negative connotation.

rtwngAvngr said:
None of those associations are in the dictionary. Nationalists have only been labelled as such when they do very bad things. Thus, the word carries a negative connotation.

The dictionary? How's that for critical thinking? :laugh:

Name a nation-state that has not done very bad things, violent or non-violent. Can't can you?

Said1 said:
The dictionary? How's that for critical thinking? :laugh:

Name a nation-state that has not done very bad things, violent or non-violent. Can't can you?

Having done bad things has nothing to do with the defintion of nationalism.

rtwngAvngr said:
Having done bad things has nothing to do with the defintion of nationalism.

If these laws and actions are done or passed In the name of preserving their culture, it sure does.

Here's the problem. You don't seem know what makes a nation-state claim valid. There are very few nation-states, America not being one of them.

Said1 said:
If these laws and actions are done or passed In the name of preserving their culture, it sure does.

Here's the problem. You don't seem know what makes a nation-state claim valid. There are very few nation-states, America not being one of them.

No. The problem is you've developed a lot of negative associations about a word that simply doesn't mean those things.

rtwngAvngr said:
No. The problem is you've developed a lot of negative associations about a word that simply doesn't mean those things.

No. You're doing what you accuse everyone else of doing when they're wrong - arguing semantics.

Said1 said:

America="United States of America"...some 50 "Nation States"...United for the good of the Nation...thus Nation States...Canada also has several providences
that make up their "Nation State"
Now South America is made up of individual States not united for the good of the nation, but they sure do have alot of the problems you attributed to "Nation States"!

Said1 said:
No. You're doing what you accuse everyone else of doing when they're wrong - arguing semantics.

No. I'm not. I truly don't believe pursuing the interests of one's nation is always bad.

dilloduck said:
Nationalism vs nationalism as practiced in the past--is there a difference?
I think so.

Nationalismtoday, as it was in the past is still largley defined by ethnic background, culture, language etc. Acting in the best interest of one's country isn't nationalism, it it's protectionism.

Said1 said:
Nationalismtoday, as it was in the past is still largley defined by ethnic background, culture, language etc. Acting in the best interest of one's country isn't nationalism, it it's protectionism.

THis is all in your head. Read my sig.

Said1 said:
Of course it isn't, but that in itself does not define nationalism.

IT is one defintion. Our cultural IS multiculturalism, so it doesn't necessary have an association to ethnic purity or anything like that.

rtwngAvngr said:
THis is all in your head. Read my sig.
Not exactly, let's try a political terms dictionary:

http://www.fast-times.com/politicaldictionary.html

nationalism - excessive, narrow patriotism; the belief that the promotion of one's own nation as a culturally distinct and independent entity is more important than any international considerations. Nationalism flourished during the nineteenth century, which saw the rise of the nation-state, and the break-up of the Austro-Hungarian and Ottoman empires, which were composed of many nations. Since the demise of communism, which held national identities in check, nationalism has again become one of the chief driving forces in world affairs, and is at the root of many wars.

rtwngAvngr said:
IT is one defintion. Our cultural IS multiculturalism, so it doesn't necessary have an association to ethnic purity or anything like that.

You're really grasping at straws here. If that is the case, why isn't the United States a nation-state, or even trying to gain that status?

Said1 said:
You're really grasping at straws here. If that is the case, why isn't the United States a nation-state, or even trying to gain that status?

Not at all. It makes total sense. regarding your quibbling about nation-states, I'm just not interested.

rtwngAvngr said:
That's a politically corrected dictionary. Obviously. Be PC if you want, kathianne, but I'll always call you on it. Good thing you don't like to fight! LOL. THere is good nationalism.
Well, dictionary.com is great for checking spelling, but more than a bit weak at definitions. Works in a pinch, but Merriam's Children's Dictionary is more comprehensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back