NASA's First Samples Land On Earth After Release From Spacecraft.

Perhaps. Best to blow the stuff away into a new orbit not hazardous to the Earth (maybe falling into the Sun) and hope that few, if any bits of rubble remain big enough to make it through the atmosphere to the ground, but yes, if done right, I think a shaped nuclear charge of the right size on the right side at the right time is probably the best hope of evading Bennu if it ultimate proves on a direct course to collide with Earth.

One bonus is that Bennu's orbit is tilted to the ecliptic by 5 or 10°.

You don't want a shaped charge. You want maximum disruption of the body. A shaped charge will punch a hole but not spread the asteroid apart.

You don't want a shaped charge. You want maximum disruption of the body. A shaped charge will punch a hole but not spread the asteroid apart.

I meant shaped the other way to apply a fairly constant planar force Across the whole of the asteroid that would both break apart Bennu (it is already barely holding together) while scattering all of the matter in one principle direction away from Earth orbit, maybe towards the Sun.

new-1.jpg

I meant shaped the other way to apply a fairly constant planar force Across the whole of the asteroid that would both break apart Bennu (it is already barely holding together) while scattering all of the matter in one principle direction away from Earth orbit, maybe towards the Sun.

View attachment 834258

A ridiculous amount of energy would be needed to direct it to the Sun. Just crack it, and let mother nature deal with it.

A ridiculous amount of energy would be needed to direct it to the Sun. Just crack it, and let mother nature deal with it.

Naw, it depends on hitting it at just the right time as it approaches perihelion. I mean, remember this West, Bennu's orbit is already affected by the Yarkovsky Effect, which is nothing more than just the heat of the Sun shining on it.

Naw, it depends on hitting it at just the right time as it approaches perihelion. I mean, remember this West, Bennu's orbit is already affected by the Yarkovsky Effect, which is nothing more than just the heat of the Sun shining on it.

Yes, I know, that force is acting to push it further away from the Sun. The only way you could efficiently redirect it towards the Sun would be to direct it to the Moon, and use its gravity to send it on to the Sun.

The calcs for that would give Feynman a headache!

Yes, I know, that force is acting to push it further away from the Sun. The only way you could efficiently redirect it towards the Sun would be to direct it to the Moon, and use its gravity to send it on to the Sun.
The calcs for that would give Feynman a headache!

Probably so as it was nearly impossible to just send a probe to Mercury without it taking years with multiple passes around the Earth, Venus and Mercury first before it could go into stable circular orbit, but the idea here is just to break it up (Bennu) and move it safely away from an Earth collision. If it moves towards and eventually falls into the Sun, that is just an added bonus.

But maybe if it is going to hit the Earth some day, they could just redirect Bennu a little and let it crash into the Moon!

No harm, no foul.

'They could find Unubtainium.' But hey, what if they find precious metals? Get ready for off-Earth mining. The 'asteroid hitting Earth' is the cover story.

Last edited:
But hey, what if they find precious metals? Get ready for off-Earth mining.
Skimming the Surface, Skipping and Prancing in Their Faggot Dance

Our exploration technology for recovering the abundant minerals here on Earth is still at a primitive level. It shows the inadequate intelligence of Postmodern scientists. They cover up their inferiority by pretending to believe in fatalistic ideas, such as that we've pretty much reached the limit of what we can recover here on earth.

Only impotent nerds like them have reached the limits of their mental capacity. Their escapist fantasies about outer space should not be funded. They are losers propped up by decadent science.

Forum List

Back