'Interplanetary spacecraft to buzz Earth on Dec. 3rd'

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
SpaceWeather.com -- News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids

"INTERPLANETARY SPACECRAFT TO BUZZ EARTH ON DEC. 3RD: Japan's Hayabasa 2 spacecraft, on a six year mission to catch and sample an asteroid, will fly past Earth on Dec. 3rd. Earth's gravity will slingshot the spacecraft toward its target, 162173 Ryugu, which Hayabasa 2 is expected to reach in July 2018. This animation from JAXA (the Japanese space agency) previews the flyby:

Many readers have never heard of Hayabasa 2. It is an amazing mission. After the spacecraft reaches Ryugu in 2018, it will orbit the asteroid for a year and a half. During that time, Hayabasa 2 will deploy four landers and drop a copper impactor to blow a hole in the asteroid's side. Hayabasa 2 itself will touch down on the asteroid, briefly, at least once to collect samples excavated by the impactor. In Dec. 2019, the spacecraft will leave the asteroid and use its ion engines to return to Earth, carrying precious samples of Ryugu. Ambitious? Yes. But if Hayabasa 2 completes even a fraction if its mission, it will be a success."

• Thanks
Reactions: idb
i have a bunch of less than smart questions.......so can one assume that if one tests one asteroid the others will be the same? and why? do we not have samples from the asteroids that have impacted the earth? what do they expect to gain from this...that cannot be gained from falling samples?

i have a bunch of less than smart questions.......so can one assume that if one tests one asteroid the others will be the same? and why? do we not have samples from the asteroids that have impacted the earth? what do they expect to gain from this...that cannot be gained from falling samples?

Asteroids are different. Interestingly, the elements stars make they then release when they go nova can be very different too. If two asteroids smash into each other at hyper-velocities, different minerals can be produced like 'shock quartz.' Not my area, but have caught some documentaries. :)

okay i can see that....the chemicals, gases etc under high pressure forming unique things but what will we as a world gain from this?

it was a thingie....on the moon does not exist...its a hologram to prevent us from seeing the spacecrafts just beyond it....i really have to stop falling asleep with youtube on....

okay i can see that....the chemicals, gases etc under high pressure forming unique things but what will we as a world gain from this?

it was a thingie....on the moon does not exist...its a hologram to prevent us from seeing the spacecrafts just beyond it....i really have to stop falling asleep with youtube on....

Gonna be mining asteroids eventually. Only so much we can get to down here. And other things are only available from asteroids. Stuff exceedingly rare here are common on asteroids.

And the technology involved rendezvousing with an asteroid has application for planetary defense. If we detect a big impacter headed our way, knowing how to intercept it would be helpful. :)

dude i may not be all scientify with the smart hat on but we had a strike ....in russian....not that long ago....and guess what...it was just a total fucking surprise....

dude i may not be all scientify with the smart hat on but we had a strike ....in russian....not that long ago....and guess what...it was just a total fucking surprise....

~500 kiloton nuclear equivilent. Only reason Cherabynsk still exists is it airburst high enough.

That impact event resulted from an asteroid only about 17-20m. Those are whizzing across Earth's orbit around the Sun literally every month. And bigger ones every year like a 2.2km version 2 days ago.

Chelyabinsk meteor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SpaceWeather.com -- News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids

"INTERPLANETARY SPACECRAFT TO BUZZ EARTH ON DEC. 3RD: Japan's Hayabasa 2 spacecraft, on a six year mission to catch and sample an asteroid, will fly past Earth on Dec. 3rd. Earth's gravity will slingshot the spacecraft toward its target, 162173 Ryugu, which Hayabasa 2 is expected to reach in July 2018. This animation from JAXA (the Japanese space agency) previews the flyby:

Many readers have never heard of Hayabasa 2. It is an amazing mission. After the spacecraft reaches Ryugu in 2018, it will orbit the asteroid for a year and a half. During that time, Hayabasa 2 will deploy four landers and drop a copper impactor to blow a hole in the asteroid's side. Hayabasa 2 itself will touch down on the asteroid, briefly, at least once to collect samples excavated by the impactor. In Dec. 2019, the spacecraft will leave the asteroid and use its ion engines to return to Earth, carrying precious samples of Ryugu. Ambitious? Yes. But if Hayabasa 2 completes even a fraction if its mission, it will be a success."

Wow I hadn't heard of this, very cool. It will return to Earth. Now THAT'S a mission. And Ion engines?

Wow I hadn't heard of this, very cool. It will return to Earth. Now THAT'S a mission. And Ion engines?

Lotta probes have ion engines. Isn't as cool as it sounds. :)

Lotta probes have ion engines. Isn't as cool as it sounds. :)

Oh yes it is.

Forum List

Back