Phoenix to Land on Mars Sunday 4:53PM PDT

Phoenix has an "atomic force microscope" onboard and it could certainly find microscopic life with that instrument if it is present.

Phoenix Mars Lander has short-circuit problem
By ARTHUR H. ROTSTEIN – 5 hours ago

complete: http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j1hvRUNc9W-3lupLU6TLQtR0gdRAD9109IG80

TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) — Scientists for the Phoenix Mars Lander are wrestling with an intermittent short circuit on the spacecraft.

The problem is in a device that will analyze ice and soil dug from the planet's surface, the scientists said Friday. The short circuit was found during testing done before the mission's experiments get under way.

The short circuit isn't considered critical, said William Boyton of the University of Arizona's Lunar and Planetary Laboratory. Boynton is in charge of the device that will heat and analyze samples scooped up by the lander's robotic arm.

He said scientists know what is triggering the problem and what actions make it go away, and are working on solutions.

Phoenix was designed to study whether the Martian north pole region could support primitive life forms and is to perform several experiments seeking traces of organic compounds.

Team members in charge of the robotic arm said new photos show the lander may be resting on splotches of ice. Washington University scientist Ray Arvidson said the spacecraft's thrusters may have uncovered the ice when the robot landed last Sunday. Mission planners aimed the craft to the red planet's northern regions hoping to find ice just under the surface.

Umm what Oriental names? All 3 are name with NON oriental names.

And it has to survive a landing that few of our attempts have survived.

Read the OP article.

I refered specifically to this bit:
"We do believe that it's a risk worth taking," said Fuk Li, manager of NASA's Mars Exploration program

Huzzah for NASA JPL

The Phoenix Lander may change human history. NASA is playing down looking for present life because they don't want people to be disappointed if they don't find anything. As Onedomino pointed out, they have microscopes on board, so it is possible that they could find life.

The Phoenix Lander may change human history. NASA is playing down looking for present life because they don't want people to be disappointed if they don't find anything. As Onedomino pointed out, they have microscopes on board, so it is possible that they could find life.
There were ambiguous, almost false positive, life findings from the Viking landers. And NASA does not want the hype associated with that. If life is present at the Phoenix landing site, the research team will almost certainly find it. And yes, if they do find life, much will change. For example, at the current level of commitment, humans may not go to Mars for another 30 years. If Phoenix finds life, we will be there in less than ten, maybe a lot less.

If we find life, it will change the way people see their place in the universe. It will change religious and scientific viewpoints as well.

Does anyone really think that beings from other worlds have heard of Jesus and Muhammad?

Last edited:

Exactly how may human history be changed by the Phoenix Lander?

If we find life, it will change the way people see their place in the universe. It will change religious and scientific viewpoints as well.

Does anyone really think that beings from other worlds have heard of Jesus and Muhammad?

Does anyone think they were human ?

Could that shortcircuit in the scooper sample heater skew the results at all?

This is an amazing job they did. We even have a picture of the deployed parachute!

The amount of engineering these latest Martian robots have got is really superb.

I hope the people working on the Shuttle Replacement are taking lessons from the Rover builders.

Could that shortcircuit in the scooper sample heater skew the results at all?

This is an amazing job they did. We even have a picture of the deployed parachute!

The amount of engineering these latest Martian robots have got is really superb.

I hope the people working on the Shuttle Replacement are taking lessons from the Rover builders.
There are reports that Phoenix engineers have workarounds for the short circuit. And that it is not a critical problem. Let's hope not. You are right about the above photos taken by the MRO of Phoenix landing. They are remarkable.

Are you claiming humans live on Mars ?

I am sorry, I did not explain myself.

If we find life on Mars, it means that there is probably life all over the universe, and that means that there is intelligent life out there besides us.

I am sorry, I did not explain myself.

If we find life on Mars, it means that there is probably life all over the universe, and that means that there is intelligent life out there besides us.

Quite a few 'ifs' there dude--how does finding some mollusk's shell lead you to the conclusion that there has to be intelligent life some where?

Google the "Drake Equation."

fancy math----

In a 2003 lecture at Caltech, Michael Crichton, a science fiction author, stated that, "Speaking precisely, the Drake equation is literally meaningless, and has nothing to do with science. I take the hard view that science involves the creation of testable hypotheses. The Drake equation cannot be tested and therefore SETI is not science. SETI is unquestionably a religion."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation

Last edited:
Michael Crichton? You must be joking.

There are BILLIONS of galaxies in the universe.

If the only two planets we have explored have life, then what are the odds of there being intelligent life in the universe?

A sure bet I'd say.

Michael Crichton? You must be joking.

There are BILLIONS of galaxies in the universe.

If the only two planets we have explored have life, then what are the odds of there being intelligent life in the universe?

A sure bet I'd say.

Just pointing out that the Drake Equation isn't something you can take to the bank or anything. There are billions of grains of sand. Watch out whne you go to the beach. You may destroy an entire colony of itty bitty, intelligent life forms.

Forum List

Back