NASA Spends $325 Million On 'Bug Hitting Semi Windshield' Test To 'Save Earth'

Currently we would have to pay off something like $30+ TRILLION just to be 'broke'.. While we are personally forced to.be good stewards of our own finances our govt continues to play with 'Monopoly' money...

While I get your point Easy, the money for this mission accounts for less than 1/95,000th of our debt, and considering all the things we DO waste money on, like improperly making 72 billion in unwarranted payments in just one year, 25 billion dollars a year spent maintaining property the Fed isn't even using, 123 billion a year spent on programs which no one can even find any benefit for, even 2.6 million training chinese prostitutes to drink more responsibly on the job, and nearly HALF of all federal purchases as fraudulent or embezzled, spending a mere 300 million to begin studying and developing a strategy for saving the planet and all of humanity from the next big asteroid impact, which is inevitable to hit again someday, isn't one of them.

In fact, it may be one of the few, BEST things the government has actually spent money on.

Congrats to NASA - they successfully carried out anexpetiment in which they hit a football stadium-sized asteroid traveling 14,000 mph with a vending machine-sized spacecraft 'in the ‘world’s first planetary defense test.’

It was pretty much like a bug hitting a semi truck's windshield.

NASA will spend the next few weeks trying to determine if the impact caused any shift in the asteroids trajectory.

(When a bug hits the windshield of a semi, does the bug alter the truck's trajectory / heading? THIS observation cost nothing - NASA's cost us, in the middle of massive inflation - $325 million.)

:popcorn:

Did you say vending machine?
You know how this is going to go right?

1664329638345.png

Congrats to NASA - they successfully carried out anexpetiment in which they hit a football stadium-sized asteroid traveling 14,000 mph with a vending machine-sized spacecraft 'in the ‘world’s first planetary defense test.’

It was pretty much like a bug hitting a semi truck's windshield.

NASA will spend the next few weeks trying to determine if the impact caused any shift in the asteroids trajectory.

(When a bug hits the windshield of a semi, does the bug alter the truck's trajectory / heading? THIS observation cost nothing - NASA's cost us, in the middle of massive inflation - $325 million.)

:popcorn:

See why we should never listen to you haters?

NASA says a spacecraft that plowed into a small, harmless asteroid millions of miles away last month succeeded in shifting its orbit.

Still, $325 million is a lot of money wasted when you can study bugs hitting windshields on the highway for free.
It would be a shame one day if we discovered an asteroid coming that will wipe out humans and we can't do anything about it. Or we are scrambling to try shit when it's too late. I'm so glad they are preparing for the inevitable. You right wingers don't realize how vulnerable we are. The planet will be fine. We're trying to keep it inhabitable for humans. Stop slowing down progress. You're just a hater. Stop hating.

Let me guess. Not enough or don't believe it?

The Dart spacecraft carved a crater into the asteroid Dimorphos on Sept. 26, hurling debris out into space and creating a cometlike trail of dust and rubble stretching several thousand miles (kilometers). It took days of telescope observations to determine how much the impact altered the path of the 525-foot (160-meter) asteroid around its companion, a much bigger space rock.

Scientists had hoped to shave off 10 minutes but NASA Administrator Bill Nelson said the impact altered the asteroid’s orbit by about 32 minutes.

aunched last year, the vending machine-size Dart — short for Double Asteroid Redirection Test — was destroyed when it slammed into the asteroid 7 million miles (11 million kilometers) away at 14,000 mph (22,500 kph).

NASA says a spacecraft that plowed into a small, harmless asteroid millions of miles away last month succeeded in shifting its orbit.
Friggin amazing and pretty wonderful

By how much?

By how much did it change the asteroid's trajectory?

By how much did it effect its path?

On the future how far away would an impact have to be made to effect the path of an asteroid that size to adjust its course enough to miss the Earth AND the moon?

Link please...

(And did you really think that NASA was going to call this extremely expensive mission anything BUT a 'success'?)

It would be a shame one day if we discovered an asteroid coming that will wipe out humans and we can't do anything about it. Or we are scrambling to try shit when it's too late. I'm so glad they are preparing for the inevitable. You right wingers don't realize how vulnerable we are. The planet will be fine. We're trying to keep it inhabitable for humans. Stop slowing down progress. You're just a hater. Stop hating.

Let me guess. Not enough or don't believe it?

The Dart spacecraft carved a crater into the asteroid Dimorphos on Sept. 26, hurling debris out into space and creating a cometlike trail of dust and rubble stretching several thousand miles (kilometers). It took days of telescope observations to determine how much the impact altered the path of the 525-foot (160-meter) asteroid around its companion, a much bigger space rock.

Scientists had hoped to shave off 10 minutes but NASA Administrator Bill Nelson said the impact altered the asteroid’s orbit by about 32 minutes.

aunched last year, the vending machine-size Dart — short for Double Asteroid Redirection Test — was destroyed when it slammed into the asteroid 7 million miles (11 million kilometers) away at 14,000 mph (22,500 kph).
TrumpLaugh.jpg

By how much?

On the future how far away would an impact have to be made to effect the path of an asteroid that size to adjust its course enough to miss the Earth AND the moon?

Link please...

(And did you really think that NASA was going to call this extremely expensive mission anything BUT a 'success'?)
They were hoping to move it by 10 minutes...and ended up moving by three times that amount. That's a tremendous success

By how much?

Link please...

Who cares? It was a first mission. If we had leaders like you, there'd be no missions. And one day an asteroid would wipe us out.

All your questions can be answered on NASA's website. If you are interested you should do some digging. Just stop being a hater.

And did we have any doubt you'd doubt the positive results?

Even if it failed, I'd say spend another $325 and try again. Only bigger next time.

In the future, we will send this trajectory off 2.5 years before impact with earth. So we hit it 2.5 years before it will hit earth. That's how far we would have to be. HOW THE FUCK DO I KNOW? LOL. I'm no rocket scientist.

Friggin amazing and pretty wonderful
I love haters. We wouldn't even have done it if it were up to people like easyt65. Know it all haters. Then when the meteor is coming and there's nothing we can do about it we look at him and he has that dumb fucking look on his face. I would have to shoot him in the face before the meteor hit. God would forgive me. I just sent him to heaven 2 minutes early right?

Who cares? It was a first mission. If we had leaders like you, there'd be no missions. And one day an asteroid would wipe us out.

All your questions can be answered on NASA's website. If you are interested you should do some digging. Just stop being a hater.

And did we have any doubt you'd doubt the positive results?

Even if it failed, I'd say spend another $325 and try again. Only bigger next time.

In the future, we will send this trajectory off 2.5 years before impact with earth. So we hit it 2.5 years before it will hit earth. That's how far we would have to be. HOW THE FUCK DO I KNOW? LOL. I'm no rocket scientist.
So no link to the information you claimed.... You are probably parroting some NASA employees claim.

Funny....you are so worried about how we might be destroyed in rhe future yet don't give a damn about how much damage Bidrn and Democrats have done to this nation or how they continue to destroy this country.

Forget about an asteroid destroying us - The Democrats will do that long before an asteroid has the chance.

So no link to the information you claimed.... You are probably parroting some NASA employees claim.

Funny....you are so worried about how we might be destroyed in rhe future yet don't give a damn about how much damage Bidrn and Democrats have done to this nation or how they continue to destroy this country.

Forget about an asteroid destroying us - The Democrats will do that long before an asteroid has the chance.
Right.

We should never do anything positive because you hate Democrats.

Sure. Makes sense

Because that's just not true. We are going through a transition period from fossil fuels to battery. War makes gas prices go up. So did Trump's tax breaks to everyone. You don't think those tax breaks caused inflation? HA!

You guys want to burn coal and oil until humans can't live on this planet.

Link? I don't need no stinking link. Common sense.

Because that's just not true. We are going through a transition period from fossil fuels to battery. War makes gas prices go up. So did Trump's tax breaks to everyone. You don't think those tax breaks caused inflation? HA!

You guys want to burn coal and oil until humans can't live on this planet.

Link? I don't need no stinking link. Common sense.
TrumpLaugh.jpg

By how much?

Link please...

I am going to go against you here. At the distance that the impact occurred, and the gravel ball type that the asteroid was, the results were very good. And the amount that it was moved isn't truly all that important. The fact that it DID move is all that matters. Push a world killing asteroid off collision course by one degree a couple of AU away, and the Earth is safe.

That is all that matters.

Ten minutes of arc? Do you know by what percentage that subtends a degree of angle?

Not what they were trying for. They hoped to change the orbital period by ten minutes. The result was the orbital period was shortened by around 30 minutes.

Not what they were trying for. They hoped to change the orbital period by ten minutes. The result was the orbital period was shortened by around 30 minutes.

What is it orbiting? And how long is the orbital period that 30 minutes is a percentage of? And what does changing its orbit tell us about an asteroid bearing down on the Earth? We need to DEFLECT asteroids--- speeding them up or slowing them down can only help by changing the arrival time with the Earth's orbit to a time before or after the Earth crosses it to avoid a collision, but could still result in it hitting the Earth at some future point.

Plus impactors run the risk of fracturing the rock into several big pieces then we are screwed. I'd much rather see us send a rocket engine to an asteroid, softly land on it, then fire a sustained burn to keep pushing the rock until it is deflected past a point where it can never harm the Earth; preferably directing it into the SUN.

Forum List

Back