NASA Proving the Triumph of Science

wihosa

Gold Member
Apr 8, 2008
Those of you who deny the truths that science has discovered (evolution deniers, global warming deniers and the like) can right now, turn on your TV's and see the proof that science is the way to discover the truth. Turn on the NASA channel and watch the dramatic live feed of the retrofitting of the Hubble Space Telescope. Every thing you will see is proof that science has triumphed over myth and ignorance.

I am considered a "technist", love tech above all else, and I was tempted to move this to the Flame Zone. Without the myths we have no kick in the pants to explore in the first place. It is dreams that advance us the furthest, so this is just ... well ... lame. But the telescope itself is worthy of discussion.

Oh, global warming is a con.

Science has not discovered anything. people using scientific methods have discovered those things you mention.

But since people are flawed and limited, one must at least accept the possibility that some scientific "discoveries" are flawed as well.

I do not believe we as humans will be able to discover the real truth of anything.

For example, my dog, no matter how smart i thank he is, will never, ever be able to comprehend algebra. he simply is not equipped to think in the manner that allows such computation. he is limited by physical structure and therefore blind to a variety of inputs and he lacks the neural pathways to think in certain ways.

Humans, too, are bound by limitations. Oh we like to think that the human mind is limitless in its ability to comprehend but that is mere hubris on our part.

There are vast, perhaps infinite, numbers of stimuli that we cannot process, thus we cannot fully comprehend. We may lack the neural wiring, just as my dog, to be able to formulate the necessary calculations that will reveal the truth about the origin of the universe and life itself for that matter.

so be humble.

I am reading a book on particle physics and what amazes is the smallness and the enormity of the universe. It is incredible and mind boggling stuff and it all holds together through four forces.

The Particle Adventure

CERN - European Organization for Nuclear Research

There is a workable theory that each atom is just a smaller universe, and our universe is an atom to a larger one. It's workable, just no where near provable. One author (Demons at Rainbow Gate I think was the title) who wrote about it, where "god" was a spaceship captain of the next universe "up" and saw a spark of life in one of the particles of matter from the engine, so he put it in a petri dish and told his co-pilot "Satan" not to mess with it, but of course "Satan" didn't listen and wanted to just fuck with us anyway. Interesting story and theory, and workable since we discovered atoms to me mostly empty space.

I am reading a book on particle physics and what amazes is the smallness and the enormity of the universe. It is incredible and mind boggling stuff and it all holds together through four forces.

The Particle Adventure

CERN - European Organization for Nuclear Research

four forces that we can quantify. that does not necessarily mean those are the only four forces at work.

'Tis true, and many who do not really understand science will often forget this. Measurable means it's what we can detect, it does not exclude other possibilities. There are hundreds of theories that haven't even come close to being proven one way or the other yet, because they deal with forces and matter that we cannot even come close to measuring yet.

I am considered a "technist", love tech above all else, and I was tempted to move this to the Flame Zone. Without the myths we have no kick in the pants to explore in the first place. It is dreams that advance us the furthest, so this is just ... well ... lame. But the telescope itself is worthy of discussion.

Why did you move it at all? Is the Hubble mission not a current event? You don't like my point and considered denigrating it as an attack worthy of the Flame Zone? But reserve the right for yourself to throw in your own attack calling global warming a "con" but presenting no evidence of such.

Why did you move it at all? Is the Hubble mission not a current event? You don't like my point and considered denigrating it as an attack worthy of the Flame Zone? But reserve the right for yourself to throw in your own attack calling global warming a "con" but presenting no evidence of such.

if you have an issue with moderation, please take it up via a PM to a member of the staff per board rules.

thanks

Because, it's about Science and Technology ... duh.

Also, it was because you were obviously making it an argument against someone elses belief, instead of just posting facts. I was being snide, usually I am. Also, GW is a con, you have to ignore at least 80% of the facts for it to be 100% true. But that's a different topic.

If you don't want to discuss the telescope at all, or science, then perhaps it should go there.

Science has not discovered anything. people using scientific methods have discovered those things you mention.

But since people are flawed and limited, one must at least accept the possibility that some scientific "discoveries" are flawed as well.

I do not believe we as humans will be able to discover the real truth of anything.

For example, my dog, no matter how smart i thank he is, will never, ever be able to comprehend algebra. he simply is not equipped to think in the manner that allows such computation. he is limited by physical structure and therefore blind to a variety of inputs and he lacks the neural pathways to think in certain ways.

Humans, too, are bound by limitations. Oh we like to think that the human mind is limitless in its ability to comprehend but that is mere hubris on our part.

There are vast, perhaps infinite, numbers of stimuli that we cannot process, thus we cannot fully comprehend. We may lack the neural wiring, just as my dog, to be able to formulate the necessary calculations that will reveal the truth about the origin of the universe and life itself for that matter.

so be humble.

Your first sentence is a distinction without a difference. Obviously saying that "science has discovered" is to be inferred to mean that 'people using the scientific method have discovered'.

The rest of your comment is just an attempt to obfuscate the clear thrust of my statement, that being, that science is the only way we have to discover verifiable truth. Of course because of the scientific method no fact or truth is beyond reproach, everything is always open to question, but until proven wrong these facts are the ones we must work with.

hubble-eagle-nebula-wide-field-04086y.jpg

That's just beautiful.

143744main_hubble_spiral_2006.jpg

hubble_image.jpg

I love this one. The blog title is "NASA has found the "Great Eye of Sauron"!!!" LOL
I hope we can get even more detailed photos to, I have seen others with more than these, but they wouldn't fit on one monitor, but I want to see other planetary surfaces, that would be great.

if you have an issue with moderation, please take it up via a PM to a member of the staff per board rules.

thanks

Sorry, didn't know I was breaking the rules. Won't happen again.

thanks

Sorry, didn't know I was breaking the rules. Won't happen again.

thanks

Astronomers and cosmologists are eagerly awainting the refitted telescope. They think it will give them the ability to see all the way back to the moments after the 'Big Bang'. Sorry if this conflicts with your 'beliefs' about the origins of the universe.

Astronomers and cosmologists are eagerly awainting the refitted telescope. They think it will give them the ability to see all the way back to the moments after the 'Big Bang'. Sorry if this conflicts with your 'beliefs' about the origins of the universe.

Will they be able to fly too? What about x-ray vision or shooting lasers out of their eyes?

Forum List

Back