NASA May Have Accidentally Discovered Faster-Than-Light Travel!

Faster Than the Speed of Light?

Light actually left a chamber of cesium vapor before it finished entering it. It doesn't say how they did it in the article, but I remember reading about it years ago. It's a quantum effect. The light pulse is amplified by the chamber and as the pulse starts entering, the amplified wave continues through the system and causes a reflection that cancels the rest of the wave as it enters. By the time the peak of the light wave enters it is totally canceled and gives the appearance that the output is faster than the speed of light. The effect is allowed by Heisenberg's uncertainty principle.

Really? Unless you're talking about planets within the same solar system, or much, much, much faster than light travel, it will still take time to go from place to place.

People too often seem to ignore just how much space there is in space
If you could travel AT the speed of light, it would take ZERO time to travel ANYWHERE in the universe.

Btw, FASTER than light is, and always will be impossible.

Really? Unless you're talking about planets within the same solar system, or much, much, much faster than light travel, it will still take time to go from place to place.

People too often seem to ignore just how much space there is in space
If you could travel AT the speed of light, it would take ZERO time to travel ANYWHERE in the universe.

Btw, FASTER than light is, and always will be impossible.

A couple of things.

First, as I understand it, it is theoretically impossible for matter to equal the speed of light, let alone exceed it.

Second, while traveling at the speed of light might make the subjective time spent for the traveler instantaneous, it would not be so for anyone outside of the light-speed vessel.

Third, even assuming travel occurs within Einsteinian space, and assuming traveling at the speed of light does, in fact, make all time, in effect, subjectively the same moment, that travel could not be done at light speed for the entire trip. There would need to be periods of acceleration and deceleration. As such, any travel would take time, even subjectively.

Fourth, the quote I brought up from the article specifically mentioned faster-than-light travel. One might reasonably assume that such travel is accomplished in such a way as to move outside Einsteinian space, or that general relativity does not apply for some reason. As such, the subjective passage of time might not occur in the same way.

It takes INFINITE energy to move AT the speed of light. It is not "theoretically" impossible to move at faster than light, it IS impossible.

The speed of light, usually designated as c, isn't fundamentally just the “speed of light”.

It is a conversion coefficient for converting units of time to units of space.
For example to convert inches to centimeters you multiply by 2.54 cm/in.

To convert time to units of space, you multiply time by ic where i is the imaginary number.

Time is an orthogonal axis to the three spatial dimensions. So we can use it in Pythagorean's theorem.

An event is a point in space and time. The separation S of two events is given by a 4 dimensional Pythagorean's theorem

S² = x²+y²+z² + (t × ic)² = x²+y²+z² - (t × c)²
That is a bit weird, but that is what makes time different than space.

Separation is important in relativity because it is constant no matter how fast or in what direction you are moving with respect to it.

It is the nature of the “conversion coefficient, ic that creates a maximum speed. The constant c can't be different because it's tied to the fabric of space. The math leads to c being the maximum speed.

Google “separation in relativity” for more details.

Don't laugh. We have many things today that were once thought impossible. I'm not holding my breath, but Star Trek might be closer than you think. Ahead, warp factor 3, Scotty...

NASA May Have Accidentally Discovered Faster-Than-Light Travel
We have had significant anti gravity succes with super homoginous matterial before this experiment. The issue with making this usable tech is that calculating fractal resonance in non homginous material is beyond our means at this point. Hopefully with the futures super computers we will beat this obsticle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't laugh. We have many things today that were once thought impossible. I'm not holding my breath, but Star Trek might be closer than you think. Ahead, warp factor 3, Scotty...

NASA May Have Accidentally Discovered Faster-Than-Light Travel
Ahead, warp factor 3, Scotty?.....you mean Sulu....
I'm giving her all shes got capn!

she canna take anymore Captain,shes gonna blow...
give her everything Scotty,get out and push if you have too....
kirk and scott.jpg

Captain, I gave to all the powder I have!

Forum List

Back