NASA May Have Accidentally Discovered Faster-Than-Light Travel!

• Banned
Don't laugh. We have many things today that were once thought impossible. I'm not holding my breath, but Star Trek might be closer than you think. Ahead, warp factor 3, Scotty...

NASA May Have Accidentally Discovered Faster-Than-Light Travel

Interesting, but a terrible article. "but, with the power of faster-than-light travel, moving from planet to planet would be almost instantaneous." Really? Unless you're talking about planets within the same solar system, or much, much, much faster than light travel, it will still take time to go from place to place.

People too often seem to ignore just how much space there is in space. :p

Ahead, warp factor 3

That's 270 days to the nearest possibly habitable exo-planet ... bring snacks and plenty of 8-tracks.

multi-ethnic-hippie-friends-road-trip-hitchhikers-guitar-luggage-43383714.jpg

Don't laugh. We have many things today that were once thought impossible. I'm not holding my breath, but Star Trek might be closer than you think. Ahead, warp factor 3, Scotty...

Interesting, but a terrible article. "but, with the power of faster-than-light travel, moving from planet to planet would be almost instantaneous." Really? Unless you're talking about planets within the same solar system, or much, much, much faster than light travel, it will still take time to go from place to place.

baby steps Montro....

Yep. At 4x the speed of light the closest star would be a year away still.

Typical crappy journalism.

Ahead, warp factor 3

That's 270 days to the nearest possibly habitable exo-planet ... bring snacks and plenty of 8-tracks.

multi-ethnic-hippie-friends-road-trip-hitchhikers-guitar-luggage-43383714.jpg

Actually, using a warp speed calculator, getting to Proxima Centauri (the nearest star, which may have a habitiable exoplanet) would take anywhere from 40-58 days at warp 3 (depending on whether you use TOS or TNG speeds). ;)

Warp Speed Calculator
Possibly habitable planet found orbiting nearest star

Even if you go with a planet 13-15 light years away, it would take less than 270 days at warp 3.

Someone needs to invent inertial dampeners, otherwise one small turn will squish whoever is traveling like a bug.

Someone needs to invent inertial dampeners, otherwise one small turn will squish whoever is traveling like a bug.

I'd be worried about chromosome and DNA damage too, traveling that fast.

Living tissue couldn’t survive

Probably not. That one astronaut Scott Kelley spent a year in space and it altered something like 7% of his genetic expression.

Astronaut's genetic expression changed by time in space - CNN

Living tissue couldn’t survive

Probably not. That one astronaut Scott Kelley spent a year in space and it altered something like 7% of his genetic expression.

Astronaut's genetic expression changed by time in space - CNN
Particles accelerated in a cyclotron expand and generate heat
Don’t think living tissue could survive it

Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
I gotta pee.
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?

Yep. At 4x the speed of light the closest star would be a year away still.

Typical crappy journalism.
Don't forget that using conventional acceleration, at the halfway point you would have to turn around and decelerate, doubling the trip time. The only real efficient way to get to the stars is dimensional shifting or wormhole travel. Once that is acheived they will need a really kick ass "sub light" engine.

Ahead, warp factor 3, Scotty?.....you mean Sulu....
I'm giving her all shes got capn!

she canna take anymore Captain,shes gonna blow...
give her everything Scotty,get out and push if you have too....

Forum List

Back