Nanny State: Parents Charged For Bringing Kids To School Late...

School is NOT free. Anyone that pays taxes in that County, owns property pays for the schools and the Teachers. In some cases they pay some of their State taxes for education as well and with the fed involved even Federal taxes are involved.

So, you too would object to someone strolling in late to something your taxes paid for, possibly disrupting the education YOUR kids are trying to get...that YOU managed to get them there in time for?

I agree that something must be done. It looks like so far all they would get is a fine. 30 times late is a pattern and is not accidental. Not sure a simple fine will force these lazy inconsiderate assholes to take a better interest in the effect their stupidity is causing other students.

So call me a Liberal on this issue. Actually holding the parents accountable would be a conservative principle.

The school and the system needs to take harsher action. There is absolutely no excuse for them to be late that many times.

You're kdding right? You don't think hitting them in the pocket book will wake their lazy asses up?!?!

Answer this. Who is responsible for getting children to school on time?

a) the parents
b) the system
c) the school

It's probably never happened before. My gut tells me there were letters, and phone calls, and conferences, etc before the fine was imposed. Most reasonable people would figure out a solution. But lawyers say "See ya in Court".

It's probably never happened before. My gut tells me there were letters, and phone calls, and conferences, etc before the fine was imposed. Most reasonable people would figure out a solution. But lawyers say "See ya in Court".

I'm just curious what people think will happen if these parents refuse to pay these ridiculous fines.

I'm just curious what people think will happen if these parents refuse to pay these ridiculous fines.

The state will lien their property or suspend licensing.

This is why we need an Article V convention. Freedom of speech is abridged disabling the citizens from democratic function and disabling unity needed to defend the constitution and the principles of the republic.

Last edited:

This is why we need an Article V convention. Freedom of speech is abridged disabling the citizens from democratic function and disabling unity needed to defend the constitution and the principles of the republic.

And the Gestapo will come to put them in prison. Prison? Really people? Is that what you want your Government doing? Think about it some more.

Since neither statute specifically addresses tardiness (as the linked story says) the case should be thrown out of court.

I think the school system has over-reacted.

Back in my day after so many tardies you'd get detention.

These are little kids. Most schools don't have a detention policy when it's clearly the parents' fault.

How is truancy handled? Do they throw parents in jail? I guess it depends on the state.

Prob. a lien would show up on a credit report. Reasonable people would be humble and try to correct the problem. You'd think the humiliation factor would have some effect. But arrogant people can never admit a mistake.

And the Gestapo will come to put them in prison. Prison? Really people? Is that what you want your Government doing? Think about it some more.

As long as Americans are too afraid to discuss their constitution and taking lawful action towards assuring the restoration of constitutional government, it will get worse and worse . . . until fellow Americans laugh at each other for suggesting that government must folow laws.

Bad things happen while good people do nothing.

These are little kids. Most schools don't have a detention policy when it's clearly the parents' fault.

How is truancy handled? Do they throw parents in jail? I guess it depends on the state.

Prob. a lien would show up on a credit report. Reasonable people would be humble and try to correct the problem. You'd think the humiliation factor would have some effect. But arrogant people can never admit a mistake.

Excessive tardiness and absenteeism is dealt with via child welfare services. The school reports, and CW investigates. If CW finds that the parents are preventing the kids from attending or getting there timely, they will require the parents to go through training and put them on a course of correction. If they still refuse, then they'll involve the courts. If they REALLY flaunt the law and refuse to cooperate, they'll remove the kids.

Kids can and are put into detention and residential treatment because their parents won't get them to school, and refuse to take responsibility for it. Usually it takes the form of truancy and the kids are punished...the parents work, they leave the kids at home because they won't make sure they get to school, and the kids get into trouble...and when that happens they come under child welfare's radar.

I see actions like these as unconstitutional government testing people to seehow much they'll put up with. Great to see attorneys doing something to resist, they are the best equipped.

We do not need a nanny state, we need constitutional government. Events like these are signals that it is time to unify and stand for each others rights.

I see actions like these as unconstitutional government testing people to seehow much they'll put up with. Great to see attorneys doing something to resist, they are the best equipped.

We do not need a nanny state, we need constitutional government. Events like these are signals that it is time to unify and stand for each others rights.

Well said. Thanks.

i am gonna side with the schools on this one.....bad enough people being tardy cause classroom interuption but take it to another level....security....all parents are worried about security at schools.....people like this coming and going ....can be a drawback to securing at a school.

if kids are constantly truant, the state has the right to bring an action for 'educational neglect' against the parents. I would assume if chronic lateness is a problem, the same type of option exists.

Yep. There is implied consent to abide by the school rules when a student is registered. Parents can not "pick and choose" those they wish to comply with.

If these parents think that school starts to early FOR THEM, they should run for school board and have the entire district work within their personal schedules. :evil:

I am a believer in the "broken window theory". When schools stop addressing small problems, bigger problems occur. See NYC - the "Giuliani years".

if kids are constantly truant, the state has the right to bring an action for 'educational neglect' against the parents. I would assume if chronic lateness is a problem, the same type of option exists.

*Sigh* Oh well......

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to jillian again.

I look forward to a day when decent parents "fight for the rights" of their children to have a non-disruptive learning environment. Wouldn't it be refreshing for someone to say "YOUR KID" is taking away valuable instructional time from MY KID"?

How the hell is it hard to get your kids to school on time? If what you're doing isn't working, change it. Get up 20 mins earlier, make lunches the night before, whatever. 30 times since Sept is bullshit. If they can get there 'a few minutes late' they can get there on time.

Having said that . . . to charge the parents with a crime because of this is bullshit. Fine them $500 and I guarantee you those kids will be on time from now on.

It is a fine. They refuse to pay it and want a trial.

The Denicores are each charged with three Class 3 misdemeanors, each of which carries a maximum fine of $500. Their three children, ages 6, 7 and 9, have been late to school almost 30 times since September.

30 times since September? It sounds like these arrogant litigators don't think their children need to comply with the same rules as their classmates.

Those kids will be trouble in HS. I can almost guarantee it.

It amazes me that people believe that following simple, common sense school rules is Nazi-like. Anarchists would agree.

They're idiots, the lawyer will cost them gobs more than the fine.

Unless, of course, they managed to get his service for free. :rolleyes:

Forum List

Back