Nanny State: Parents Charged For Bringing Kids To School Late...

Judge sets trial date in Loudoun school-tardiness case.

Amy and Mark Denicore are headed to a full-blown trial to defend themselves against charges that they violated Virginia law by making their kids late to elementary school too often.

The Loudoun County couple was arraigned Monday morning in juvenile and domestic relations court. Judge Pamela L. Brooks set a trial date of March 14.

The Denicores are each charged with three Class 3 misdemeanors, each of which carries a maximum fine of $500. Their three children, ages 6, 7 and 9, have been late to school almost 30 times since September. Most of their tardies were three minutes or less.

Their case has sparked debate about whether the school system is overreacting to a minor offense or rightly clamping down on a habit that’s disruptive to teachers and other students.

The Denicores — both of whom are trained as lawyers — argue that whatever one’s opinion of their parenting, the county has no legal authority to convict them of a crime.

They are charged under the state’s compulsory education law, §22.1-254, which says parents have to send their kids to school “for the same number of days and hours per day” as school is in session.

Another statute, §22.1-258, clearly spells out how school systems must proceed in the case of chronic absences when there is “no indication that the pupil’s parent is aware of and supports the pupil’s absence.” Neither statute specifically addresses tardiness.

The Denicores said they will move on March 14 to have their case dismissed. If it proceeds, they plan to subpoena a handful of witnesses to testify, including their kids’ teachers and principal.

In court Monday, Brooks told the couple that similar trials are generally scheduled for 12-15minutes, but there is no time limit for arguments.

Judge sets trial date in Loudoun school-tardiness case - Virginia Schools Insider - The Washington Post
DRUDGE REPORT 2012®

States have a right to mandate education, therefore there is no constitutional argument here. It appears the parents are going to argue semantics over the word absence being that an absence does not mean tardiness. However, tardiness can be construed as an absence as the children are technically absent during those minutes they are not there.

That said, I don't agree with charging them with a crime. Instead, they should expel the kids for the rest of the semester and make them repeat it. That sounds like a fair solution to me.

What is Nazi-like about telling someone who cannot get their kids to a public (free) school on time to find other arrangements more to their liking?

Explain the Nazi-like aspect of that.

School is NOT free. Anyone that pays taxes in that County, owns property pays for the schools and the Teachers. In some cases they pay some of their State taxes for education as well and with the fed involved even Federal taxes are involved.

So, you too would object to someone strolling in late to something your taxes paid for, possibly disrupting the education YOUR kids are trying to get...that YOU managed to get them there in time for?

I agree that something must be done. It looks like so far all they would get is a fine. 30 times late is a pattern and is not accidental. Not sure a simple fine will force these lazy inconsiderate assholes to take a better interest in the effect their stupidity is causing other students.

So call me a Liberal on this issue. Actually holding the parents accountable would be a conservative principle.

The school and the system needs to take harsher action. There is absolutely no excuse for them to be late that many times.

Just because the parents pay taxes that contribute toward the school, it does not give them the right to make up their own rules, disrupt others, and teach their children poor habits.

They are charged under the state’s compulsory education law, §22.1-254, which says parents have to send their kids to school “for the same number of days and hours per day” as school is in session.

So, if a child is sick, and misses 2 days of school, the parents can be charged with a crime.

Nice. :rolleyes:

If they cannot get their kids to a PUBLIC school on time, they should make arrangements with a PRIVATE school or else homeschool. They are stealing educational time from other students when they come in late, disrupting what is already a class engaged.

You would say that. You're such a good little Nazi.

What is Nazi-like about telling someone who cannot get their kids to a public (free) school on time to find other arrangements more to their liking?

Public schools are not free, our taxes pay for it.

Public schools are not free, our taxes pay for it.

Yes....ALL our taxes pay for it. So how do you feel about YOUR kids' education constantly being disrupted by kids coming chronically late to your kid's class.

What happens to us as adults when we constantly show up late for work? Are our bosses "Nazi-like" if they fire us?

Parents have a certain responsibility to their children to get them there on time, It sounds to me as if there is something going on in the background. None of it is really our business. Feels like a reality show situation.

If they cannot get their kids to a PUBLIC school on time, they should make arrangements with a PRIVATE school or else homeschool. They are stealing educational time from other students when they come in late, disrupting what is already a class engaged.

30 times? And you defend them? When my kids were late to High school they spent that hour in detention and got marked for an absence. 7 absences and you fail the semester.

30 times? And you defend them? When my kids were late to High school they spent that hour in detention and got marked for an absence. 7 absences and you fail the semester.

Paulie will show up to call you a good little Nazi soon.....I'm sure.

Perhaps you could bookmark this thread so the next time some Liberal is claiming I never take conservatives to task you could link it? )

So, if a child is sick, and misses 2 days of school, the parents can be charged with a crime.

Nice. :rolleyes:

Not true at all.

according to the information given, it's perfectly true.

As easily as the parents can be charged with a crime for violating 22.1-254 due to the tardiness of their children, they can be charged with a crime for the absence of their children.

If the criteria is 'for the same number of days and hours per day', then either of those cases results in missed days or hours. In the case of the OP family, it's roughly 2-3 minutes every day for 30 days, or a total of 60-90 minutes. In my example, it's a couple days. In either case, the 'same number of days and hours per day' criteria was not met.

There would have to be a specific exclusion for being sick. Since none was posted, I will not assume there is such an exclusion. Should someone post proof there is such an exclusion, then I would be in error and perfectly willing to say as much.

Perhaps you could bookmark this thread so the next time some Liberal is claiming I never take conservatives to task you could link it? )

Oh, I wouldn't call Paulie a conservative.

Who do YOU think is responsible for children? If not their parents, who?

Anyone?

Yep and there was none of the crap we're seeing today where parents side with the kids against the school and/or teachers and the kids sleep in and then play computer games all day.

We were expected to get to school, work hard, do our homework and get passing grades. If we weren't out of bed on time, mumsy and dadsy didn't make excuses. They made it happen. We were responsible for our actions and our parents were responsible for their kids.

And, that was not considered "nazi-ish" as our resident "libertarian" says.

Parents have a certain responsibility to their children to get them there on time, It sounds to me as if there is something going on in the background. None of it is really our business. Feels like a reality show situation.

I agree that there is likely a lot more to this story but I don't agree that its none of our business. When the community ignores what is going on with kids, it's inviting tragedy.

Forum List

Back