Nanny State: Parents Charged For Bringing Kids To School Late...

How the hell is it hard to get your kids to school on time? If what you're doing isn't working, change it. Get up 20 mins earlier, make lunches the night before, whatever. 30 times since Sept is bullshit. If they can get there 'a few minutes late' they can get there on time.

Having said that . . . to charge the parents with a crime because of this is bullshit. Fine them $500 and I guarantee you those kids will be on time from now on.

It is a fine. They refuse to pay it and want a trial.

The Denicores are each charged with three Class 3 misdemeanors, each of which carries a maximum fine of $500. Their three children, ages 6, 7 and 9, have been late to school almost 30 times since September.

30 times since September? It sounds like these arrogant litigators don't think their children need to comply with the same rules as their classmates.

Those kids will be trouble in HS. I can almost guarantee it.

It amazes me that people believe that following simple, common sense school rules is Nazi-like. Anarchists would agree.

They're idiots, the lawyer will cost them gobs more than the fine.

Unless, of course, they managed to get his service for free. :rolleyes:

That's not a good reason to not fight for what's right. Many many important legal disputes have been very costly. But in the end, you have to fight for what's right. And sometimes the costs are great.

30 times since September? It sounds like these arrogant litigators don't think their children need to comply with the same rules as their classmates.

It amazes me that people believe that following simple, common sense school rules is Nazi-like. Anarchists would agree.

That's not a good reason to not fight for what's right. Many many important legal disputes have been very costly. But in the end, you have to fight for what's right. And sometimes the costs are great.

It is not "right" nor "legal" to be tardy 30 times in less then a year. Another policy my kids faced, 3 tardy were counted as an absence. 8 then 6 days was all you could be absent from. Those kids should be expelled or failed if their parents can not, will not obey the law and bring them on time.

Paulitician, Please share that insight with moonbat, who thinks that unless we adopt Chinese children we should not protest the violation of human rights in China.

So . . . . habitually bringing your kids to school late is right??

School starts at 9am, be there. Everyone is late once in awhile. 30 times since September? These people are jackasses who think the rules don't apply to them.
Common sense says 'pay the fine and get your kids to school on time'.

The parents are teaching their small children that being on time isn't a requirement for their education or later their jobs. Not good parenting. Has the school tried to explain why being late isn't good for their kids or the whole class? I haven't read through this entire thread, but were they warned about this? If not, seems pretty draconian.

It is not "right" nor "legal" to be tardy 30 times in less then a year. Another policy my kids faced, 3 tardy were counted as an absence. 8 then 6 days was all you could be absent from. Those kids should be expelled or failed if their parents can not, will not obey the law and bring them on time.

I didn't say being tardy is "right." I said these stupid fines aren't right. And apparently these parents feel the same way. Therefore they have every right to challenge them in Court.

School starts at 9am, be there. Everyone is late once in awhile. 30 times since September? These people are jackasses who think the rules don't apply to them.

Being habitually late isn't right. And these stupid fines aren't right either.

As previously stated by chanel, the parents were likely notified numerous times about their kids being late (I can't imagine the parents weren't notified, can you?). That failed to get the parents to bring the kids to school on time. I don't know if the kids were suspended or had detention (the next logical step) but if so and that was ignored? Fine them. Sometimes you have to whack stupid upside the head.

As previously stated by chanel, the parents were likely notified numerous times about their kids being late (I can't imagine the parents weren't notified, can you?). That failed to get the parents to bring the kids to school on time. I don't know if the kids were suspended or had detention (the next logical step) but if so and that was ignored? Fine them. Sometimes you have to whack stupid upside the head.

I hear ya, but it could have been handled differently.

In the old days, parents had the option of sending their kids to school, or not. In rural areas, kids missed whole seasons based on weather and whether or not they were needed at home.

But today, as a nation, we have decided that compulsory education is in everyone's best interests. As a teacher, there are days I wish that coming to school was voluntary. If you don't want to be here, stay home. But I know that's very narrow thinking. Too many lazy parents and lazy kids would rarely go school if no one made them. That's a fact.

It is nanny state because the law is utter bullshit. There is no need for this type of stupidity and the courts have no place in this case. It should have been dealt with in the school itself. Simple suspension to expulsion if they cannot get there in time. As another poster said, if the school system is too difficult for the parents to use then they can home school them.

Expelling a six year old is probably illegal. :confused:

There has to be consequences. Hitting people in the pocketbook should do the trick - at least for people with common sense.

Forum List

Back