N.J. charges 8 private sector merchants with gouging after Sandy

It is hardly being a douche. I realize you cannot think in any but emotional terms, but I'll go through it anyway.
Prices indicate scarcity. Scarcity is a mismatch of supply and demand, temporary to be sure. When there is too much demand it is rational to increase prices to maximize income from a scarce resource. Increased prices cuts demand and separates buyers who really need the product from those who merely want it.
In the case of gasoline, if it goes to $10 some people will put off their car trip to Aunt Sadie until next month. Others will buy gas at $10 because their delivery business absolutely requires it. They would rather have gas at $10 than no gas. No gas is what liberal douchebags like you offer people. Your argument is out of gas.

The flaw in your argument is in assuming these gas station owners are doing this for the benefit of the market as a whole. They're doing it for the benefit of their own wallets.

At the end of the day it's really just greed. What does the gas station owner care if "enough" people are serviced? All he wants is to sell product. And I DAMN sure don't believe that your average gas station owner is sufficiently versed in economics to have broken it down the way you have. He sees dollar signs and that's all.

Arent you supposed to be a narco libertarian and believer in the free market? Ever heard of the Invisible Hand?
What an ignorant shithead. No wonder I usually ignore you.

You don't see me advocating for government intervention though. I'm a libertarian but I can recognize when a business owner is being a faggot.

• Thanks
Reactions: del
Do you think the laws of economics are suspended during a disaster? If the supply is reduced, then the market price goes up. Laws that prevent merchants from charging the market price cause shortages, and the product quickly disappears from the shelves.

That's economics, and none of your hysterical sanctimonious pontificating about "price gouging" will alter it.

The laws of New Jersey sure weren't suspended, were they?

No. That's why they had people waiting in line every day for hours.

Every day? Or about 4 days, with the odd-even restrictions? There was no supply problem. It was a distribution problem.

What did Louisiana do to gougers after Katrina? As I recall, both Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi prosecuted them. I even recall that Bush started an FTC investigation.

I tend to doubt that you morons complained about the Republicans following the law.

Mississippi Passes Tough Price Gouging Law | Jackson Free Press | Jackson, MS

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

In the wake of last year's skyrocketing prices at the pumps, Gov. Haley Barbour has signed a bill stiffening penalties for gasoline price gouging. The bill, SB 2032, increases jail time and fines, and bans those found guilty of gouging from selling or distributing gasoline in Mississippi.

#Jail time under the new bill can be up to twelve months, and fines range from $500 to $1,000. The law, which takes effect on July 1, is one of the toughest gasoline price gouging measures in the country, according to ConsumerAffairs.com.

The flaw in your argument is in assuming these gas station owners are doing this for the benefit of the market as a whole. They're doing it for the benefit of their own wallets.

At the end of the day it's really just greed. What does the gas station owner care if "enough" people are serviced? All he wants is to sell product. And I DAMN sure don't believe that your average gas station owner is sufficiently versed in economics to have broken it down the way you have. He sees dollar signs and that's all.

Arent you supposed to be a narco libertarian and believer in the free market? Ever heard of the Invisible Hand?

You don't see me advocating for government intervention though. I'm a libertarian but I can recognize when a business owner is being a faggot.

OK, so you've never heard of the Invisible Hand.
What a fucking retard. No wonder you're on iggy.

OK, so you've never heard of the Invisible Hand.
What a fucking retard. No wonder you're on iggy.

There's no invisible hand at work when a business owner is raping the living shit out of customers simply because he can. The simple fact is the owner is taking advantage of the fact that people are forced to pay his price because gasoline is a necessity.

There isn't ALWAYS an excuse for business practices. Sometimes it really is JUST GREED.

It's duly noted that I'm ignore too, especially after replying to every post I've made in this thread :thup:

This message is hidden because Paulie is on your ignore list.

Here's something more intelligent than anything you have to say:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FHg0WqXJJ4]Father Abraham - The Smurf Song In German - YouTube[/ame]

The laws of New Jersey sure weren't suspended, were they?

Every day? Or about 4 days, with the odd-even restrictions? There was no supply problem. It was a distribution problem.

What did Louisiana do to gougers after Katrina? As I recall, both Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi prosecuted them. I even recall that Bush started an FTC investigation.

I tend to doubt that you morons complained about the Republicans following the law.

You would be wrong about that. Laws against "gouging," i.e., charging the market price, are always stupid, whether a Republican or a Democrat does it.

Also, a distribution problem is a supply problem.

You would be wrong about that. Laws against "gouging," i.e., charging the market price, are always stupid, whether a Republican or a Democrat does it.

You're a fucking liar. I already showed where Haley Barbour signed a law against gouging. You're such a petty little douchebag, that you're too stupid to see anything more than your hatred of Obama.

The fact remains that your Republicans went after price gougers, after Katrina. The fact remains that the New Jersey Republican is doing the same.

You are such a stupid little twat.

Sure, take them down. Eliminate any incentive for companies to bring energy and goods to the people who need them. Their need isn't that important so let's slow it down.

Why on earth are you supporting the price gougers? Seven gas stations and a hotel, according to this article, overcharged people that were in a bind.
That is so true. Hotels and gas stations don't need "incentive" to come in or to stay. It sounds like they are just being selfish. Do they have the right to set their prices anywhere they want? During normal times, yes, but not when they are making an emergency situation worse. The government is there to protect those who cannot defend themselves, so I agree with this government action.

You're a fucking liar. I already showed where Haley Barbour signed a law against gouging. You're such a petty little douchebag, that you're too stupid to see anything more than your hatred of Obama.

The fact remains that your Republicans went after price gougers, after Katrina. The fact remains that the New Jersey Republican is doing the same.

You are such a stupid little twat.

When did Haley Barbour become the final authority on price gouging? The fact that a Republican politician does something doesn't automatically make it good economics. Republican politicians do stupid things all the time. They are almost as scummy, sleazy and unscrupulous as Democrats.

Capitalist pigs at their finest. So much for the private sector giving a shit about the down and out citizens.

N.J. charges 8 merchants with gouging after Sandy* - Business on NBCNews.com

New Jersey has filed lawsuits against eight businesses for allegedly gouging customers with exorbitant prices in the days after Superstorm Sandy roared ashore, the state's attorney general said Friday.

Take em down!

Because the State-controlled LIPA is sooooooo much better!

and the state owned power company left the poor schmucks out in da cold to freeze to death and bamie didn't give a hairy rats ass about dey plight.

Yeah, and those "anti-gouging" laws sure made a lot of gasoline available to people who needed it.

State anti-gouging laws only apply to consumer products. A friend of mine is a business consultant who works out of his house. He called a commercial fuel provider and ordered 500 gallons of gasoline for his generator. It was delivered in 3 days at a cost of $10 per gallon. Sure he paid a hefty premium but he had power when he needed it.

(He gave 200 gallons to the shelter down the street. Damn those cold-blooded capitalists!)

Price gougers will be prosecuted. Happens down here in Florida all the time after a hurricane.

Its human nature and that human nature sometimes sucks.

And sometimes it sucks when there are no generators because there is no incentive to triple delivery costs right after a hurricane. In 2004 there were no generators to be found by anyone....

Except business customers. My neighbors were willing to pay $1000 for one but couldn't.

It is not the "rational thing" to charge victims of a natural disaster more for a product. That's "price gouging". It's illegal and even more importantly, immoral...but I don't expect you to understand that part of it.

It is a natural thing to try to maximize income out of a product that is limited and cannot be replaced. It is far more moral than the alternative, which is virtually everyone going without.
But I dont expect you to understand economics.

No it isn't natural to be a douche and it is illegal. This is no different than war profiteering.

I disagree.

It's one thing to double the price of food in a shortage just because you have it and people need it. It's another thing to double the price of food because it costs twice as much to get it to those who need it and are willing to pay for it.

See the difference?

Or do you forego your salary when there's a storm?

No it isn't natural to be a douche and it is illegal. This is no different than war profiteering.

It is hardly being a douche. I realize you cannot think in any but emotional terms, but I'll go through it anyway.
Prices indicate scarcity. Scarcity is a mismatch of supply and demand, temporary to be sure. When there is too much demand it is rational to increase prices to maximize income from a scarce resource. Increased prices cuts demand and separates buyers who really need the product from those who merely want it.
In the case of gasoline, if it goes to $10 some people will put off their car trip to Aunt Sadie until next month. Others will buy gas at $10 because their delivery business absolutely requires it. They would rather have gas at $10 than no gas. No gas is what liberal douchebags like you offer people. Your argument is out of gas.

One does not need to comprehend all of the nuances of market forces to be a participant. That't the point.

Anti-gouging laws in their current form end up hurting those they were intended to protect. So yay for all those people who were "protected" from paying too much for gasoline - there just wasn't any for them at any price.

and the state owned power company left the poor schmucks out in da cold to freeze to death and bamie didn't give a hairy rats ass about dey plight.

Yeah, and those "anti-gouging" laws sure made a lot of gasoline available to people who needed it.

State anti-gouging laws only apply to consumer products. A friend of mine is a business consultant who works out of his house. He called a commercial fuel provider and ordered 500 gallons of gasoline for his generator. It was delivered in 3 days at a cost of $10 per gallon. Sure he paid a hefty premium but he had power when he needed it.

(He gave 200 gallons to the shelter down the street. Damn those cold-blooded capitalists!)

731127d1339148391-new-member-sharing-collection-extremely-affordable-watches-363-bruce-willis-cool-story-bro-image.png

:lmao:

731127d1339148391-new-member-sharing-collection-extremely-affordable-watches-363-bruce-willis-cool-story-bro-image.png

:lmao:

As it turns out, you aren't the authority on anything so keep on with your irrelevant pictures.

Sure, take them down. Eliminate any incentive for companies to bring energy and goods to the people who need them. Their need isn't that important so let's slow it down.

Why on earth are you supporting the price gougers? Seven gas stations and a hotel, according to this article, overcharged people that were in a bind.
That is so true. Hotels and gas stations don't need "incentive" to come in or to stay. It sounds like they are just being selfish. Do they have the right to set their prices anywhere they want? During normal times, yes, but not when they are making an emergency situation worse. The government is there to protect those who cannot defend themselves, so I agree with this government action.

Seven gas stations and a hotel were able to offer goods and services that probably no one else could. Why should that be a crime? No one twisted anyone's arm to do business with those establishments. Every customer made a choice to spend his money there. If they had had better alternatives, they would have taken them. The fact that the gas stations made sales says that they had a product in demand and people bought it. Do you think customers are too stupid to compare two prices and pick the lower one?

Forum List

Back