Mystery Mods ???

I’m sure I’m not the first to whine about this but why don’t the .. “mystery mods” ..reveal their identities when they screw up your posts and threads .. so we can bitch at them personally.

Oh never mind .. I get it .. 😄
th

I have started always trying to remember to sign all my actions with, -MB. If I do something, you will know....

I have looked at some of your recent activity, is this new policy something that has you bothered?

I’m sure I’m not the first to whine about this but why don’t the .. “mystery mods” ..reveal their identities when they screw up your posts and threads .. so we can bitch at them personally.

On another forum on which I used to be active, for owners and enthusiasts of a particular automobile that I used to have, the “mystery mod” was for the V6-equipped versions of that car, when the precats went bad. The precats were catalytic converters built into the exhaust manifolds, which then fed into a Y pipe that fed into the main catalytic converter. When they failed, it was often in a manner that caused serious performance and drivability issues, and they were prohibitively expensive to replace.

The “mystery mod” was to gut them out completely, and to install electronic devices* which fed fake signals to the ECU to trick it into believing that there were still good catalytic converters there. It's illegal, of course, but as long as the main catalytic converter is in good shape, and you give it enough time to warm up, you can still easily pass a smog check that way.

* Called “MIL eliminators”. Most modern cars have, at least once instance of a catalytic converter where there is an oxygen sensor before and after the cat. the ECU expects to see signals from both of these that indicate that the cat using up some oxygen, as it breaks down certain components of the exhaust gasses. If not, then it turns on the “Check Engine Light”, and sets an OBD-II trouble code. The MIL eliminator simply fakes a signal, based on what the front O2 sensor is seeing, and feeds that to the ECU so that the ECU thinks it's seeing a rear O2 sensor reading consistent with a correctly-working cat.

In the car in question, this arrangement is on each of the two precats, not on the main cat.

Last edited:
I have started always trying to remember to sign all my actions with, -MB. If I do something, you will know....

I have looked at some of your recent activity, is this new policy something that has you bothered?

Mmm .. I tend not read policy and excessively long posts/threads .. 🥱

On another forum on which I used to be active, for owners and enthusiast of a particular automobile that I used to have, the “mystery mod” was for the V6-equipped versions of that car, when the precats went bad. The precats were catalytic converters built into the exhaust manifolds, which then fed into a Y pipe that fed into the main catalytic converter. When they failed, it was often in a manner that caused serious performance and drivability issues, and they were prohibitively expensive to replace.

The “mystery mod” was to gut them out completely, and to install electronic devices* which fed fake signals to the ECU to trick it into believing that there were still good catalytic converters there. It's illegal, of course, but as long as the main catalytic converter is in good shape, and you give it enough time to warm up, you can still easily pass a smog check that way.

* Called “MIL eliminators”. Most modern cars have, at least once instance of a catalytic converter where there is an oxygen sensor before and after the cat. the ECU expects to see signals from both of these that indicate that the cat using up some oxygen, as it breaks down certain components of the exhaust gasses. If not, then it turns on the “Check Engine Light”, and sets an OBD-II trouble code. The MIL eliminator simply fakes a signal, based on what the front O2 sensor is seeing, and feeds that to the ECU so that the ECU thinks it's seeing a rear O2 sensor reading consistent with a correctly-working cat.

In the car in question, this arrangement is on each of the two precats, not on the main cat.
Wow .. I recall the days when auto mechanics was far less confusing and way way way less costly.. I miss those days..

There are some Mystery Mods with whom you don't want to mess.

Do you have any idea how much a pair of precats for a 1995-2001 Ford Contour or Mercury Mystique with the V6 engine costs; if you can find them at all?

Once the originals fail, the Mystery Mod is really the only way to keep the car in service.

So .. it was like a miracle I tells ya..

a somewhat hasty mod actually gave me fair warning on a thread move and I ended up smiling..

Granted, I do like to smile .. but still .. :)

Just scroll down to the bottom of the home page left corner should tell you which mod is online

Forum List

Back