Mylo passed away

Dogs' lives are short, too short, but you know that going in. You know the pain is coming, you're going to lose a dog, and there's going to be great anguish, so you live fully in the moment with her, never fail to share her joy, or delight in her innocence, because you can't support the illusion that a dog can be your lifelong companion. There's such beauty in the hard honesty of that, in accepting and giving love while always aware it comes with an unbearable price. Maybe loving dogs is the way we do penance for all the other illusions we allow ourselves and for the mistakes we make because of those illusions.

Dean Koontz

She died after dark and it was raining, so we couldn't really go out and bury her right away. I had a full houseful this weekend as my son and his family were there as well. The younger kids can't really remember a time without her. She died in my room, and I couldn't leave her there, so we wrapped her up in a towel and laid her out in the garage on a table we have out there, it's sort of like the old-fashioned "laying out" that people used to do when a person died...they'd lay out the person on the dining room (or kitchen!) table until they brought the casket or had otherwise prepared them for burial.

It kind of gave the kids a chance to say goodbye, weird as it sounds.

I have a big backyard, we'll bury her near a rose bush.

She had cancer, we knew she was dying. Which is hard in a whole different way than her actually passing. Actually it's harder.

I work with a woman who lost a dog a few months ago. She was hysterical for weeks. She missed work. She spent thousands of dollars trying to save her aged bull dog mix, when it was obvious he was just on his way out. He was old, he was dying. And she was frantic.

I feel sort of bad that I'm not more obviously devastated...but I just don't lose it when people and animals die. Good grief, I'd be unable to function at all if I completely lost it every time someone died.

She had cancer, we knew she was dying. Which is hard in a whole different way than her actually passing. Actually it's harder.

I work with a woman who lost a dog a few months ago. She was hysterical for weeks. She missed work. She spent thousands of dollars trying to save her aged bull dog mix, when it was obvious he was just on his way out. He was old, he was dying. And she was frantic.

I feel sort of bad that I'm not more obviously devastated...but I just don't lose it when people and animals die. Good grief, I'd be unable to function at all if I completely lost it every time someone died.

By her having cancer and in the process of dying you have already been thru a lot of the grief on a daily basis, already knowing her time was limited. In contrast, if she passed suddenly without any foreknowledge, you would probably experience your grief differently & more dramatic.

You & your family do whatever you need to do in order to take care of her final arrangements & helps you thru the process of saying goodbye to a beloved friend.:smiliehug:

By her having cancer and in the process of dying you have already been thru a lot of the grief on a daily basis, already knowing her time was limited. In contrast, if she passed suddenly without any foreknowledge, you would probably experience your grief differently & more dramatic.

You & your family do whatever you need to do in order to take care of her final arrangements & helps you thru the process of saying goodbye to a beloved friend.:smiliehug:
If my cat were in pain I would have no trouble putting him down at the vet's.

Then I would just find a new cat fast.

I am not a dog person. Dogs are great for deterring burglary and for hunting and for jogging with you.

But they require too much love and affection and so a cat is better for me.

My cat is an Angora and they are dog-like enough for me.

But I could not be happy without a pet of some kind.

You can get chip implants at the vet's and then register your ownership on a Florida website.

This is about the only way to deal with a runaway pet.

Dogs rarely run away but cats often do.

I believe in constant supervision for all pets including dogs and cats and not letting them run wild without supervision. I go for walks with my cat all the time after the dog walkers are all home and in bed.

Usually after a very long walk around the block my cat finally lies down at my feet and rolls over, and meows, which means he now wants me to pick him up and carry him back home where it is warm and dry and where the food it.

Dogs' lives are short, too short, but you know that going in. You know the pain is coming, you're going to lose a dog, and there's going to be great anguish, so you live fully in the moment with her, never fail to share her joy, or delight in her innocence, because you can't support the illusion that a dog can be your lifelong companion. There's such beauty in the hard honesty of that, in accepting and giving love while always aware it comes with an unbearable price. Maybe loving dogs is the way we do penance for all the other illusions we allow ourselves and for the mistakes we make because of those illusions.

Dean Koontz
I already have a burial pillow case in reserve for my cat for the day when he finally goes the way of all the Earth as well.

We as humans are like gods compared with our dogs and cats. We will most likely outlive them.

Herodotus had an interesting proverb in his book "The Histories" about death:

"In peacetime sons bury their fathers. In war time fathers bury their sons."

We as pet owners are doomed with the foreknowledge that at some point we will bury our pets as well.

For my cat I have a spot picked out for a burial place way up in the mountains where I also go to hunt deer.

Sorry for your loss. I lost my Rat Terrier this summer and still miss the little shit. He had a HUGE personality and it wasn't all fun and games but he was quite the companion, like having a kid around.

My guy went pretty quick and too soon for his breed and I had to take him in to do the deed. It was all so sudden, one day he was running around like a puppy at the dog park and four days later he couldn't play or eat. I don't know if it's better fast or slow, I thought slow would be better to have time to adjust.

You can get chip implants at the vet's and then register your ownership on a Florida website.

This is about the only way to deal with a runaway pet.

Dogs rarely run away but cats often do.

I believe in constant supervision for all pets including dogs and cats and not letting them run wild without supervision. I go for walks with my cat all the time after the dog walkers are all home and in bed.

Usually after a very long walk around the block my cat finally lies down at my feet and rolls over, and meows, which means he now wants me to pick him up and carry him back home where it is warm and dry and where the food it.
Do you put your cat on a lead?

Forum List

Back