My wife is demanding I get rid of my guns

Have you talked it out?

Yes:
(1) My kids are getting older and become more rebellious. Esp my son who, because of 1st player shooter games is infatuated with guns.
(2) I keep my guns in the basement in a locked safe, so in reality I wouldn’t be able to get them in a home invasion situation.
(3) My buddy is more than happy to hold them for me

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

And if you refuse?

No sex for him.

I see you've never been married.

Lol, probably

i love when married men are pretending to have sex with their wives

Mr_bean-smart.jpg

We just moved to a much bigger place, we got a home security system and and now with the move she is demanding I get rid of my guns.

I am not a gun nut, but I do have 3 guns.
(1) Saigon 12: Semi auto shotgun.
Awesome gun and tons kid fun. I have a 20 round barrel. I barely use it though. It is my fall of civilization gun.

(2) Desert Eagle Mark XIX .50 cal: This sucker is a hand canon. Fun to shoot, but hard to aim and ammo is ungodly expensive. Yes I bought it because it was Israeli made.

(3) Springfield XDM 9mm: I love this gun and the one I take to the shooting range by far the most. 19+1 is a lot bullets.

That is it. That is all I have. I keep them in a locked safe in the basement. Yes libs it won’t help me for self-defense.

While I fancy myself as a conservative, she is a liberal. No pun intended but I am holding my guns!

Not sure why you are sharing your marital problems.

To me this is as relevant as your wife demanding that she be the one controlling the remote control.

We just moved to a much bigger place, we got a home security system and and now with the move she is demanding I get rid of my guns.

I am not a gun nut, but I do have 3 guns.
(1) Saigon 12: Semi auto shotgun.
Awesome gun and tons kid fun. I have a 20 round barrel. I barely use it though. It is my fall of civilization gun.

(2) Desert Eagle Mark XIX .50 cal: This sucker is a hand canon. Fun to shoot, but hard to aim and ammo is ungodly expensive. Yes I bought it because it was Israeli made.

(3) Springfield XDM 9mm: I love this gun and the one I take to the shooting range by far the most. 19+1 is a lot bullets.

That is it. That is all I have. I keep them in a locked safe in the basement. Yes libs it won’t help me for self-defense.

While I fancy myself as a conservative, she is a liberal. No pun intended but I am holding my guns!

Wear the Pants, Not the Pantsuit

She's just getting even for ordering her to vote against hillary.

Have you talked it out?

Yes:
(1) My kids are getting older and become more rebellious. Esp my son who, because of 1st player shooter games is infatuated with guns.
(2) I keep my guns in the basement in a locked safe, so in reality I wouldn’t be able to get them in a home invasion situation.
(3) My buddy is more than happy to hold them for me

There are a lot of small gun safes that can be bolted to a nightstand or bedframe. Even some biometric ones that read a fingerprint. Spend a couple of hundred dollars and the Springfield you have is safe and ready.

Mine was Anti- gun in house when we first married, 30 years ago, but now she has 3 of her own. Once we moved to a rural environment and got the horse their , then goats, and chickens and the coyotes showed up that a 20 gauge Remington 870 was perfect, then a Ruger SR22, then a S&W Airweight that is her daily carry.

We now also have our own shooting range at the back of the property.

My wife grew up in a home that did not have guns. She had no family history or cultural attachment to them.

It wasn't much of an issue when we were younger because buying firearms was pretty low on the priority list when raising a family.

As we got older I started to buy guns and shoot them and build them and it was my main hobby. Nowadays I have 50 firearms.

Although my wife didn't have much use for them she didn't say anything because she knew it was important to me. I was "allowed" to spend as much money as I want and do whatever I want.

That is the give and take in marriage. I allow my wife to do the things that are important for her and she does the same for me.

It took her 45 years of living with a gun nut before she finally started doing a little shooting herself. Now she has a carry permit and her own carry pistol.

Had my wife ever said anything to me I would have simply told her that it non negotiable. Fortunately we never had that discussion.

If that is a deal breaker in the OP's family then there are probably bigger issues.

There are a lot of sides to the issues, but they break down to two basic camps. Either you are for, or against. Either you love, or hate guns, depending on the hyperbole of the other side.

The reason you are for guns can be numerous. I can’t speak to others, but I can tell you my motivations. First, I was raised with firearms. In all my years, I’ve only had one round go off with literally hundreds of thousands of rounds fired, when I did not intend it to. It was my fault, a mistake, a stupid mistake at the firing range. I rested my finger on the trigger before I was ready to fire. One round went into the dirt to kill whatever worms happened to be there. No one was hurt, and while I was embarrassed, that was all. The rule was reinforced with the best possible outcome. It never went anywhere near anyone.

None of the weapons I own have ever killed anyone. Marksmanship. It is incredibly difficult to be a good marksman. It requires steady nerves, focus, physical control, and patience. It is no small thing to put the bullet on target. The recent police shooting in Sacramento is a good example. Twenty rounds fired, and eight, only eight, hit the target from about ten feet. You could throw the gun and hit the guy when you are that close. A 40% hit rate is pathetic at that range.

Prepper mentality. I honestly believe that civilization teeters on a knifes edge. We saw in New Orleans, three days and civilization had pretty much broken down. Police just left, not that they were doing a bang up job before that. The people were left to fend for themselves until nearly a week had gone by and General Honre rolled in. A good rifle and pistol and shotgun in that scenario is worth it’s weight in platinum. It’s too late to go get one, if you don’t have it, you can’t blame anyone but yourself.

Protection. Let’s be honest. There are predators out there. People and animals that prey on the weak. Humans are pretty weak actually. We are very fragile, and we don’t have many of the natural weapons that were provided to other animals. Wolves have fangs and sharp teeth. The bear and the panther have teeth and claws. Humans have their mind. It is what sets us to the top of the food chain, the ability to use our mind to create tools to give us the advantage. Or at least level the playing field. Where I live I have snakes in my yard every year. Sometimes harmless water snakes. Sometimes Copperheads, or water moccasins. There are Opossums, Raccoons, Coyotes, and even Wild Boars in the woods that literally run right up to my house. Wild Boars will charge humans, and will kill them if you give them any opening.

Then there are the two legged animals. Robbers, rapists, murderers, and child predators. Those who argue that only the police should have guns are idiots. The police don’t get raped. Nobody goes and tries to rob a cop. It is us, the civilians who get that first. We are the ones who deal with crime first hand.

When I was a boy, my Father taught me to stand up. Avoid the fight if possible, but if it can not be avoided, then fight hard, and do not fight stupid. I’d be just as pleased if I never shoot another person as long as I live. I’d be happy as could be if I died never having to fight for my family, or my own life. Believe me, if it comes down to a fight, I’ll aim to shoot the threat, without any hesitation. I was never plagued with nightmares or other remorse issues from my time in the Army. I refuse to be a bad winner. I doubt that I would feel better if I had died.

So we have the gamut of reasons, and there are many more. In the end, it comes down to one simple fact. This nation was founded by independent thinking people with guns. Those same independent thinking folks answered the call in 1812, and some went to Texas to stand up to Santa Ana. David Crocker and some friends of his stood the wall at the Alamo with folks they had never met before.

I mentioned above, a gun is a tool, and we are tool users. I am using a tool right now, a computer. Whether that tool is used for good or evil is up to the user. I’ve never been afraid of a gun. It’s the fellow who has the gun that has my undivided attention.

People worried and cried out when Trump was elected. He would have his finger on the button to start World War III. It wasn’t the missiles that were the problem, but the man with his finger, on the button. The one who activated the missiles. Or at least gave the orders to launch.

They said the same thing about Reagan. Some people argue that we need to get rid of nuclear missiles. But most worry abou the man or woman who has their fingers on the button. So there, we correctly identify the problem, or at least potential problem. It isn’t the tool, it’s the user.

People argue that the Founders would have certainly limited the right if they could see the future. I’d argue that they would not. At the time, privately owned Cannon were commonplace. Every merchant ship had a couple cannons, and the majority of our naval power was from Privateers, with privately owned cannons as their primary weapons.

Teddy Roosevelt’s famous charge up San Juan Hill was supported by two machine guns, that were privately purchased and donated. They were not army issue weapons, but private ones. The public could buy them in those days.

The Founders knew about privately owned cannons, and did not object. It was commonplace. But that is another issue isn’t it? The Founders could imagine this internet, and obviously intended the First Amendment to apply to it. They could imagine digital documents which would of course be included in protections against illegal search and seizure despite the fact that the Fourth Amendment says papers, not emails. But somehow the Founders intended the right to bear arms to apply only to flintlock rifles and excluding things like cannons.

It is not the tool, it’s the user. That has always been the case. It was not the whip that tore the skin from a slave. It was the man swinging the whip. It is why we do not charge the gun with Murder, but the man, or woman, who was the individual behind the gun.

When you abandon your soul to get your desired outcome, you deserve what you get. People are furious that they can’t sue Remington or whoever for making the gun that was used in a murder. It is an insane argument. Nobody sues Dodge for making the car that the drunk driver was in when he plowed into a school bus load of cheerleaders. We don’t sue Boeing for making the planes that were flown into the Twin Towers. We don’t sue Freightliner for making the truck that carried an illegally heavy load. We are supposed to punish behavior, not the maker of a tool. We punish the maker of the tool when they intentionally make a flawed item.

That still happens today with Guns. Taurus has a number of firearms, and there is a flaw in those firearms. They have been sued successfully several times over that flaw. They are not protected by the law preventing lawsuits against gunmakers. They made a flawed product, and that product should have be better tested before it was produced. It damn sure should have been fixed once the flaw was discovered. Since they did not, they damn sure deserve to cough up a ton of money to pay for it.

That’s the problem with most of the anti gun arguments. They require an asinine and flatly unfair and immoral argument to even think about winning. There is one area where I think I could compromise. No Government agency has oversight authority for quality issues. When a car is found to have a flaw, the Department of Commerce can order a recall. The same is true of every product sold, except guns. The reason I am not shouting about it more often is because I know what will happen. Ten seconds after this Government agency is given oversight authority, they will decide that no gun can be considered safe, and all are ordered recalled and banned.

It will be the roller skating Barbie all over again. For those of you who don’t know a news station did their annual dangerous Christmas toys episode. They picked up a Barbie and demonstrated the roller skating function. Little sparklers set in the heels of her skates would shoot sparks out the back. “Looks safe enough doesn’t it? But watch what happens when we roll this harmless toy through a puddle of gasoline.”

What? Who stores the gasoline in their daughters room? That was really grasping at straws.

I can see it now, a Department of Commerce woman looking very serious announces that guns can kill with the pressing of one small portion thus the guns are dangerous, and are hereby banned.

Someone should have limited oversight, when there is a design flaw, like the Taurus mentioned above, who can order a recall and redesign. Someone who is limited to actual flaws, not just hatred of the gun. I think if we are going to do it, then the candidate has to pass muster with the NRA. Like the Supreme Court Justice Candidates are approved by the American Bar Association.

Forum List

Back