My Old Cat Has Dementia

CarlinAnnArbor

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2016
Screenshot_20220828-203615_Gallery.jpg

A few years ago I took in a very sweet old abandoned cat who has lived in the neighborhood several years before that. I always assumed he belonged to someone else. He didn't, so he eventually found a home with me. I named him Tommy

He really is the sweetest cat you'd ever meet. I describe him as "kind." That's not a word you'd often use for a cat, but if you knew him, you'd agree.

I've let him come and go freely, because that's been the life he's been used to.

Lately though he's been disappearing for longer periods. A good friend told me she thought he had dementia. I never considered that, but looking into it, I believe she's right.

He's been gone for 9 days this time. If he comes back, Tommy will be an indoor cat for the time that he has left.

If you have an older cat, learn the signs, and be ready, so he doesn't wander off and die alone

Last edited:
It might not be dementia.

A lot of animals that are used to being wild or outdoor animals, when they feel their "time" is near, they will go in search of a nice place to "let it all go".

Keeping him indoors would be a good idea to start with.
Another great idea is taking him for a checkup at the vet.
It could be something completely different he might need meds for.

I have no idea how hold he is, I can just see that he is old.

If you can consider another species a "friend", Tommy is a friend. Hoping he comes home
Screenshot_20220828-161958_Chrome.jpg

He has most of these symptoms

Put his litter box outside so he will know that's HIS home.

Or atleast a scoop of litter from the box if you can't put the whole box outside.

I'm old, take naps, not really interested in some of the stuff I used to do, and sometimes take off to the beach cabin for a few days without telling everybody I know. I hope nobody locks me up and makes me stay inside.

When I was in High School, I used to go for a walk everyday.
We lived in an area that was built up with homes, but there was several acres of land behind us, separated by our alley, that extended over to the next housing area.

This area is where the kids played and the outdoor pets roamed. There were streets and alleys, but it was years before they started building more homes though. And unfortunately, people dumped animals there as well.

I was walking down the alley one day, and it was summer. The weeds had gotten VERY tall. It was nice and quiet.........all of a sudden I heard "MEOW". And I yelled "Here kitty kitty".......and this HUGE ball of black and white fur came bounding out of the tall weeds.

It was love at first "MEOW"! I took her home and ended up having her for 19 years.
She was fully grown with she found me, so I have no idea how old she was. But she got so old, she could no longer stand or walk. She could barely eat and wouldnt drink water. I had to make the horrendous decsion to do the unthinkable. I cried for a week. That was back in the early 90's I think. I still miss her, and never really got over it.

Time does NOT heal all wounds. Especially not this one..........for me anyway.

1661735884992.png

I'm old, take naps, not really interested in some of the stuff I used to do, and sometimes take off to the beach cabin for a few days without telling everybody I know. I hope nobody locks me up and makes me stay inside.
I spent $170 on a GPS tracker to see where he goes less than a month ago. He ditched the collar after 3 days. It was an interesting 3 days though. I wouldn't believe how far he traveled.

I'm 170 miles from Lake Michigan though so unless he hitch-hiked, I doubt he's vacationing there

When I was in High School, I used to go for a walk everyday.
We lived in an area that was built up with homes, but there was several acres of land behind us, separated by our alley, that extended over to the next housing area.

This area is where the kids played and the outdoor pets roamed. There were streets and alleys, but it was years before they started building more homes though. And unfortunately, people dumped animals there as well.

I was walking down the alley one day, and it was summer. The weeds had gotten VERY tall. It was nice and quiet.........all of a sudden I heard "MEOW". And I yelled "Here kitty kitty".......and this HUGE ball of black and white fur came bounding out of the tall weeds.

It was love at first "MEOW"! I took her home and ended up having her for 19 years.
She was fully grown with she found me, so I have no idea how old she was. But she got so old, she could no longer stand or walk. She could barely eat and wouldnt drink water. I had to make the horrendous decsion to do the unthinkable. I cried for a week. That was back in the early 90's I think. I still miss her, and never really got over it.

Time does NOT heal all wounds. Especially not this one..........for me anyway.

View attachment 688573
I know the feeling well. I took in a kitten I named Bob Cat. He was always sickly though and I had to take him in at age 3. I cried all afternoon. At least he had a home for his short life. Some kind of cancer, they said

I spent $170 on a GPS tracker to see where he goes less than a month ago. He ditched the collar after 3 days. It was an interesting 3 days though. I wouldn't believe how far he traveled.

I'm 170 miles from Lake Michigan though so unless he hitch-hiked, I doubt he's vacationing there
Your cat, your decision, but from what you describe, and as long as he doesn't look like he has been starved, or beaten up by other cats, when he gets back, I'd let him do what he wants to do. From your post, I can tell you will do what you think is best for him, as you should.

Your cat, your decision, but from what you describe, and as long as he doesn't look like he has been starved, or beaten up by other cats, when he gets back, I'd let him do what he wants to do. From your post, I can tell you will do what you think is best for him, as you should.
Would you allow him to come and go? I've been struggling with this for a few months now.

He has a huge yard, surrounded by neighbors with huge yards. I wish he'd just stay around home. He used to, but that's been changing.

That's why I got him the GPS tracking collar. I wanted to know where to find him when the time comes. I have no idea how he removed it

My kitty hangs out in the back yard. Lately she's been wandering into the front yard...gets lost & starts to cry.

I hear her out the front window & open the front door. Now she gets really confused because everything is backwards. Her food & her poop box are on her left when she enters from the back door...and now they are on her right.

She goes and sniffs her breffast & her poop box...yup...everything checks out but it's all backwards.

Then she starts complaining at me like I rearranged the house or something.

My kitty hangs out in the back yard. Lately she's been wandering into the front yard...gets lost & starts to cry.

I hear her out the front window & open the front door. Now she gets really confused because everything is backwards. Her food & her poop box are on her left when she enters from the back door...and now they are on her right.

She goes and sniffs her breffast & her poop box...yup...everything checks out but it's all backwards.

Then she starts complaining at me like I rearranged the house or something.

Poops MUST be filtered EVERY TEN MINUTES!!!!!

Geez............what kind of slave ARE you??? Not a very good one!!!!

Would you allow him to come and go? I've been struggling with this for a few months now.

He has a huge yard, surrounded by neighbors with huge yards. I wish he'd just stay around home. He used to, but that's been changing.

That's why I got him the GPS tracking collar. I wanted to know where to find him when the time comes. I have no idea how he removed it
He's your cat, and all i know about him is what you posted. Given that, sure, I'd let him do what he wanted to do, unless I saw some reason not to. You might try keeping him in for a while, and if he's fine with it, that might be your best shot. If he really wants out, I'm sure he will let you know. Your call. If you do what you think is best for him, it will be the right call.

There was a cat that wandered the apts I managed, and after a few years, I finally got him to come in the apt. Being curious like cats are, he did explore, discovered the recliner and claimed it as his own. I took him to the vet and he was 8 years old. He was a gentle cat, very loving, but the terror of his turf on the grounds and would beat up every cat that wandered unto the grounds. At 10 years old, he got in a fight and his eye damaged. It had to be removed. At 13 years old, he had trouble eating due to really bad teeth. I took him to the vet yet again and told them to remove the bad ones. He came home with no teeth at all. MrG would chew his food for him, lol. He never ate cat food. He ate the chicken stew I made specifically for him...which thankfully MrG liked even though unseasoned, and that is how he ate with MrGs help.
He lived to 23. I had to send him to rainbow bridge due to the cancer that riddled his body.

I still miss him.

Maybe someone took it off of him. Sometimes outdoor cats will have several homes. Like my cat Mousey that would simply disappear for weeks or months at a time. One day she came home with a collar on. I called the number on the collar and the lady said "Oh thank goodness, you found my cat, she's been missing for over a month!"

She lived in Monroe, Michigan, which is about 20 miles north of here. I figured she likely would just follow the railroad tracks from here to there. Perhaps even had another home somewhere in between.

I took the collar off because cats can accidentally get hung up by their collar on a tree branch or a fence or whatever.

Forum List

Back