it would stop going there to visit

being an "outside" cat

the cat is its own master

at least that is how the cat views it

so as long as the cat lives outside

it also lives outside of your powers

there is not much you can or should do

to try and break the social contract the cat has with others

The cat was given to me (and her sister) by a dying man. She has been well taken care of for 6 years (vet bills to prove it), LOTS of love and attention, so I'm almost sure I'm not the reason. Her twin sister is just fine also outside as Mindy was until he took her in for 4 days last week- THAT is the issue.

Just my 2 cents...
The cat doesn't belong to you. Cats are not dogs, dogs are pack animals. Cats are not. They can live with a group, or without. They do well either way.
"Your" cat prefers your neighbor over you. It could be for numerous reasons - who knows.

And it would come in real handy if the OP had to go out of town for a couple of weeks.
I would see such a situation as a win-win. The cat is happy, the neighbor is happy, and being an unselfish person, I would be happy. Let's share the kitty-cat love if possible.

Not sure the cat is happy, he works a lot and she would be alone hours at a time plus she is my cat for 6 years w/ vet bills, time and love to prove it. NONE of my other neighbors have done this. Like I said the FACT IS HE TOOK HER IN FOR 4 DAYS saying he did not know that she was/is my cat. HE SAID he DOESN'T want any cats repeatedly- I even assured him I can get him any cat as friendly as her for him; he said no. Besides he rents and what if he moves? Mindy's sister misses her A LOT when she isn't outside with her.

What should you do next? Go have another neighbor kick you in the ass as hard as he can for your gross irresponsibility. You don't love animals. You hate animals.

why is that? She is fixed, fed, has shelter etc.. She cannot come in for reasons already said. She is an outdoor cat and has been fine for years.

How do you claim ownership when you obviously don't control the cat?

Had a neighbor like that. Outdoor cat only, constantly crapping behind my bushes, driving my dog crazy.

Dear lord, you're lucky the cats still alive!

they are my children so to speak, so damn right I claim ownership. I have the time, love and vet bills to prove it. Both her and her sister were given to me by my dying neighbor.

What should you do next? Go have another neighbor kick you in the ass as hard as he can for your gross irresponsibility. You don't love animals. You hate animals.

why is that? She is fixed, fed, has shelter etc.. She cannot come in for reasons already said. She is an outdoor cat and has been fine for years.

How do you claim ownership when you obviously don't control the cat?

Had a neighbor like that. Outdoor cat only, constantly crapping behind my bushes, driving my dog crazy.

Dear lord, you're lucky the cats still alive!

they are my children so to speak, so damn right I claim ownership. I have the time, love and vet bills to prove it. Both her and her sister were given to me by my dying neighbor.

Then send the cats to their dead mother. What is so hard and difficult about this? I'm so confused...,

My neighbor has a border collie that comes over frequently. He likes it here, even spent his evenings lounging on my porch last winter instead of his own home. He'll also come in the house if I happen to open the door and play with the cat. He's just happy-go-lucky that way, it's his temperament. And neither I nor my neighbor have a problem with that.

Now I don't go out and actively bring him in, or feed him while he's here or keep him overnight or anything like that, because that's his owner's domain. But I'll feel free to entertain him, toss a fetch ball, let him walk with me through the woods, etc. ... because it's what he wants to do and it makes him happy. He's an "outdoor" dog and he likes to roam. As long as the animal's not doing harm or getting into harm I believe in letting a creature follow its nature.
This is not what the OP's neighbor is doing. The OP's neighbor is feeding the cats, keeping them over night and has even set up a litter box for them. And, the OP asked him not to take them in; the neighbor said he wouldn't, and then the did it anyway. If your neighbor asked you not to take the dog inside, would you do it anyway?

Neighbor needs to call animal control and have them take the stray cats so he can get posession of them. 6 adult animals in a home with one man? That's also likely against local ordinances.
The neighbor doesn't want the cats. He doesn't want any cats. The OP asked him. The neighbor doesn't want to take responsibility for any cats. The OP has had these cats for 3 years as outdoor cats. No one in the neighborhood has had a problem with it. It is beyond understanding why you people are being so harsh.

The OP rescued these cats from euthanasia. The neighbor doesn't want responsibility for them. What do you all want, for the cats to be put down?

I actually not only find my cat in somebody else's home, I bring him there at the friend's request. She doesn't have a cat but she's all for having mine staying for a few days and hunting rodents. He got some too.

I call the process a "cat scan". :eusa_shifty:
This is fine when it is mutual agreement, and you are gone a lot. But this is in no way the same situation.

Its just hard to believe for 3 days in a row he cannot stop her from running in.. once, ok- I saw her do it tbh as I was talking to him, but the 2nd, 3rd time too? And how he forgot to put her back outside after his boss left his house? I mean it was 5 hours or 6 hours by the time I got home, went over there knocking and he came to the door with her in his arms feeling bad/guilty etc.. I just went outside to look for her and she wasn't in her shelter. The only thing I can think of is there are 2 or 3 male unfixed cats outside too (all along the block) coming to eat at my porch. They might be scaring her? Mindy is fixed thank God.

So my question is What should I do next?

Nothing. Be grateful you have a neighbor who is looking out for your pet. Mindy wants to go inside the house because she is cold. Obviously the shelter you provide isn't good enough. She likes the warmth, so maybe treat her like your other four cats, instead of making her stay outside like the odd one out?

Because Mindy knows that the other cats are allowed inside, and she is feeling that she is entitled to be inside a house, too. So treat her like one of the family.

Nothing. Be grateful you have a neighbor who is looking out for your pet. Mindy wants to go inside the house because she is cold. Obviously the shelter you provide isn't good enough. She likes the warmth, so maybe treat her like your other four cats, instead of making her stay outside like the odd one out?

Because Mindy knows that the other cats are allowed inside, and she is feeling that she is entitled to be inside a house, too. So treat her like one of the family.

odd..it was much colder last winter and she was fine with her shelter. Her twin sister is just fine outside as well as several other neighborhood cats. Is he going to pay her vet bills? nope. He said he doesn't want any cats.

I am confused. Why would I be leaving my kids out on the street to be offered toys by some rich dude?
You are not familiar with analogies apparently.
Not when they make no sense.

All cats should be outdoor cats.

Outdoor cats are happier.

You never see cats outside the window whining to get in; it is always the other way around.

That is so not true.

I am confused. Why would I be leaving my kids out on the street to be offered toys by some rich dude?

I rarely agree with you but spot on. He should be making every effort to keep his cats in his own yard. Once they start bothering the neighbors, the neighbors are pretty much free to do as they please.

The thing these folks don't get is cat's are not like dogs. They pick their people. If they don't feel they are getting what they need thy will leave. I have been the very person the OP made reference to. There was a cat in my neighborhood who was always outside. Every time I went for a jog that cat would follow me around. I think they can smell a cat person. One night about 3AM I was out walking and as I passed the driveway there she was like usual. The difference is it was 12 degrees outside. As I passed she came out like a shot and followed me two miles to my house. She wailed outside my door until I let her in. And she was with me for the next 15 years by her own choice.

odd..it was much colder last winter and she was fine with her shelter. Her twin sister is just fine outside as well as several other neighborhood cats. Is he going to pay her vet bills? nope. He said he doesn't want any cats.

Why do you care if he takes it in at night and lets it out in the morning?

i bet the cat likes that guy

or at least likes to hang out there for a spell

if he was treating the cat poorly

it would stop going there to visit

being an "outside" cat

the cat is its own master

at least that is how the cat views it

so as long as the cat lives outside

it also lives outside of your powers

there is not much you can or should do

to try and break the social contract the cat has with others

The cat was given to me (and her sister) by a dying man. She has been well taken care of for 6 years (vet bills to prove it), LOTS of love and attention, so I'm almost sure I'm not the reason. Her twin sister is just fine also outside as Mindy was until he took her in for 4 days last week- THAT is the issue.

certainly

however that is not how the cat views it

the cat likes going to visit the guy obviously

unless you are saying that he is sneaking into your yard

and stealing the cat

a real cat burglar so to speak --LOL

then that would be a another issue

Forum List

Back