My graveside encounter with President Obama

I applauded George Bush for honoring our soldiers and I honor Barack Obama for doing the same. Regardless of your politics, I think the dead are a burden on any president who is making decisions during wartime.

I applauded George Bush for honoring our soldiers and I honor Barack Obama for doing the same. Regardless of your politics, I think the dead are a burden on any president who is making decisions during wartime.

Quite.

Anyone who thinks that either Bush or Obama treat our dead lightly is a fool.

My only concern is that Obama does the right thing - now.

Quite.

Anyone who thinks that either Bush or Obama treat our dead lightly is a fool.

My only concern is that Obama does the right thing - now.

Here's an encounter I had in December 15th, 2005...

At the time I covered North Florida for my company. I was in a town south of Jacksonville called Palatka. If you're not familiar with Jacksonville and northern FL, it is very military; JAX NAS, Naval Station Mayport and The Army’s Replacement Training Center, known as Camp Blanding, located near Starke.

Anyways...I stopped at a place named Walt's BBQ for lunch...

In the booth across from me was a retired couple originally from Ohio. We started talking, starting with our children...I'm very proud of mine and so were they; proud parents always like to talk about their children.

The conversation moved to current affairs…the mother related a story about their son; he was plant manager for a subcontractor that supplied military aircraft parts and components.

Her son got to meet Donald Rumsfeld when the secretary paid a visit to his plant. The subject came up of a delivery delay of a part they supplied. Mr. Secretary was NOT happy! Her son explained to Rumsfeld the delay was due to unacceptable failure rates in testing of the part, but they were working diligently to remedy. Then the son added, “We want to get it right sir, because there are American lives involved.”

Mr. Rumsfeld replied: WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES THAT MAKE!!!

What else do you need to know about Donald Rumsfeld?

The people who put Noriega and Batista in power thought they were doing the best thing for the world. I think even George W. doesn't hate the average soldier he put in harms way.

Me, I'm a pretty cold fella willing to sacrifice 999 of you so 1000 other of you may live. Not that I don't appreciate the loss of the 999 but given each loss is such a tragedy its worth it.

Forum List

Back