My dogs got out...

My dil is a game girl but the three dogs and the mischievious 5 year old are a handful for her during the day. I tell her just to leave Mylo in my room, but the kids let her out, and then they open doors, and the dil isn't enough of an authoritative presence to prevent things from happening.

She's learning though.

She's gonna have to learn before the 5 y/o gets much older and picks up bad habits from school.....if you haven't got 'em duly terrified by the time they're about 8, it's almost impossible to intimidate them later on. Especially if you're barely 5' 0" like me : ((

Oh I see...my saint has a chip. And they are never gone long or go far...well the prt would, but she still always comes back; quickly if it's cold. They were only out of the house for 15 minutes. The guy just happened to be outside right when it happened.

i have a little mutt that will get out from time to time and run and run and run. thinks it's a game. Every couple of months I end up back at the animal shelter, bailing him out of dog jail.

And then i put the gps tracker on him. battery lasts about a month, signal is good, and if he leaves his home area i get a text and email alert.

and the subscription package is about $7 a month. well worth it in my book.

Yeah my dog gets out, runs around a bit, then comes back.

If I take my car and drive down the street, she runs to my car.

And apparently, if a stranger goes after her with a car, she comes to their car too, since my neighbor caught her yesterday and tied her up using a plastic grocery bag, lol...

I called the old guy. I told him I was sorry and told him what happened and he didn't say a word.

What a prick. I'll pay him and he can kiss my ass. He's the asshole down the street who mows perfect criss crosses on his front lawn. You know, carefully mow one way, then cross hatch the other way. No weeds. Edging. The kind of guy who hangs out in his yard all day long so he can tell passerby what they should be doing.

If the dog got out and attacked another dog where there was blood you should pay the vet bill.

I'm not sure I believe the DIL.

We walked our lab Aerial and another dog ran and attacked her. I grabbed the other dog by the collar as the owner came trotting in.

At first I didn't see anything, but later I saw a bunch of fur missing in an area. I didn't make any complaint.

However, I can see how he can discover an injury after getting the dog home.

Sooo...

My yellow labrador got out. I went out the front door to get the morning paper, Buster spots an armadillo across the street in the neighbors front yard and does what he is bred to do...retrieve. A couple laps around the yard and Buster expertly chases the armadillo into the house. So now we have a wild armadillo, a barking dog, wildly gesticulating family members, and me trying to corral the rat. Armadillos have sharp claws. This was an expensive wild life excursion. So finally I cornered it and threw a blanket over it and it locked up and didn't move. So I got it out of the house, took it for a 40 mile ride and released it. Next time, we are going to feed him to the coyotes and turkey vultures....cooked.

Last edited:
Wow. You win! That's a great story; weenie dog can't compare to armadillo in the house...

Soooooo...old guy came down today and talked to the dil and the kids while i wasn't here; told them his dog was fine; he is apparently our neighbor...our back yards abutt each other, I think! Said his dog gets out all the time, haha. Said he needed a bigger fence and would build us one..i won't take him up on the fence (we rent and the owner for some reason doesn't want a fence) but the kids and the dil were quite taken with him and said he was very, very sweet. So Mylo netted us a new friend. I take back everything bad I said, he must have just been overwhelmed.

Last edited:
I can't imagine having dogs and not having a fenced yard. Do your landlords understand that a fenced yard would be a significant improvement to their property? Maybe you could look into that and present it to them in that light. I can't believe the neighbor is volunteering to build you a fence...fences are expensive. What kind of fence does he have in mind?

When I was renting my house before I bought it, I rented temporary construction fence panels and used it to fence the yard. That's also a possibility.

When reading through all this, I'm sorry, but it was your daughter-in-law and the five-year-old that irritated me, not the old dude. I have a neighbor who had a similar thing, her daughter-in-law was at her house and the bratty granddaughter opened the door, but it wasn't a dog that got out, it was a bird. I'll never forget my poor neighbor, walking all around the neighborhood, crying, and calling out, "Peepers! Peepers!" She said to me, "Why can't people control their kids!!!!" And it was her own grandkid, but she wasn't afraid to put the blame where it really belonged.

I have five dogs, including two Dobermans, and I damn well make sure they never get loose. In my neighborhood, people have shot dogs who were running loose and perceived to be a threat. It's made clear to any visitors at my house that those two dobies are the center of my universe and woe unto anyone who would endanger them.

Last edited:
Yeah, the landlord won't go for the fence. I don't know why; she's elderly. All of our neighbors have fences.

Yes it irritates me that the dogs got out, and ultimately the responsibility is my dil's...but she's used to handling one dog, not 3. My granddaughter went through a stage where she was deliberately opening doors and letting dogs out (or trying to) but I think this event has cured her.

The guy who offered wasn't the old guy whose dog is now on drugs at our expense..it was the neighbor above us. He sought us out (but I was at work) to tlak to us...he told us that the weenie dog was fine but there was ANOTHER busybody neighbor lady who insisted the old guy take the dog to the vet.

Oh, and the next day, the old guy was walking his weenie dog back and forth in front of our house, looking up at our house. Back...and forth. I know he has the right...just as I can't defend the fact that the dogs did get out. But the guy's an asshole. Just saying. My dog didn't touch him; he didn't even see Klaus. If you're going to walk your dog down a street full of dogs and kids, eventually you're going to meet a dog off leash, and it might run up to you. If that's too terrifying a prospect to deal with, maybe you aren't cut out for dog ownership, or they should just walk around in their garage. Mylo is all of 12 lbs or so. She isn't a ravening pitbull. The pit stayed home in the house...even though the door was wide open. He's a good boy.

Last edited:
I walk all five of my dogs at once around my neighborhood. I carry bear spray in case I run into a moose, and regular-sized pepper spray in case we are accosted by a loose dog, which does happen. On two occasions I actually made the decision to squirt a dog with pepper spray. One was a large pitbull, the other was a Rottweiller, both of whom decided to get nose-to-nose with and challenge my very alpha female Doberman. All it took was one little squirt and they turned tail and took off. The pepper spray does no permanent damage.

Now a little dog like Mylo, I would probably not pepper spray. I have a miniature pinscher and a minpin/Manchester terrier mix, and they are little terrors, also. My minpin is the only dog who has ever bit my husband and I, or ever growled at the vet. : )

Anyway, walking five dogs at once I long ago learned that I need to take charge and take responsibility for our own safety. Because loose dogs (and moose) do happen.

It's a damn shame your landlady won't allow the fence. : (

Last edited:
Soon after we moved, our dog bolted out the front door. He'd spent that previous 10 years roaming free in the country. Anyhow- he chases after an old guy on a bicycle. Wife yelled at him to stop (in which case dog would have stopped), but no he kept on riding.

Dog nipped his pant leg, he yells something about calling the cops and suing us. So I called the cops, gave them my name/address/number.... told them what happend and that they might get a call from a pissed-off neighbor. Nothing came of it.

Forum List

Back