Skye Terriers

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Does anyone know anything about this breed?

What sort of disposition and personality do they have?

TIA.

No you're not ... admin deleted that thread. All I will say is that I'll never go back to selling stuff on ebay.

I'd still really appreciate feedback on Skye terriers if anyone has any experience with them.

Scotland has long been a stronghold of small plucky terriers, and the Skye Terrier is among the oldest of them. They developed along the west coastal area, where they hunted fox and otter from among the rocky cairns. The purest of these dogs were found on the Isle of Skye, and the dogs were then named Skye Terriers. Skye Terriers were first described in the sixteenth century, when it was already noteworthy for its long coat. Some confusion exists in tracing its history because, for a certain time, several different breeds had the same name "Skye Terrier". In 1840, Queen Victoria made the breed fancy, keeping both drop-(floppy) and prick-(upwards) eared dogs. This highly increased its popularity in many of the high societies and among commoners, which are very high class. Soon enough, the Skye Terrier came to America because of its extreme popularity through out its country and some others. The AKC recognized the breed in 1887, and it quickly rose to the show scene position. Even though this was a strong start and the breed's great appearence, its popularity has dropped. Now it is among one of the least known terriers. Many people are unaware of this breed's old popularity because it is not famous now.

~~
I once knew a woman who knew a lot about terriers. Her dog was a cairn terrier.
A sturdy, rugged, independent sort of dog. He enjoyed traveling with her and sort of did his own thing.

Whether this would also be true for a Skye Terrier, I can't say. I have seen a number of different terrier breeds at dog parks and conclude similar characteristics are shared.

Thanks very much wavingrl. I've been reading a lot and I've always kinda liked terriers. This little guy has been abused, was matted so bad his coat came off in big huge pieces and he had open sores underneath. And the idiot who did this had put a chain collar on him that was imbedded in his flesh and he apparently spent most of his life on a chain. Very weird is that the scum gave the shelter akc registration.

Why would some creep buy an expensive dog and then abuse him? Probably for puppies. The dog was not neutered, now is.

I hate animal abusers. Scum.

I just noticed a member whose name is Skye. I thought about asking him/her but don't need more nasty rw comments.

Thanks very much wavingrl. I've been reading a lot and I've always kinda liked terriers. This little guy has been abused, was matted so bad his coat came off in big huge pieces and he had open sores underneath. And the idiot who did this had put a chain collar on him that was imbedded in his flesh and he apparently spent most of his life on a chain. Very weird is that the scum gave the shelter akc registration.

Why would some creep buy an expensive dog and then abuse him? Probably for puppies. The dog was not neutered, now is.

I just noticed a member whose name is Skye. I thought about asking him/her but don't need more nasty rw comments.

I hope he finds a good home or did you already adopt him?

Anyone who would treat an animal cruelly deserves the same or worse imo.

The terriers are great--active, energetic --most that I have known. Intelligent and great companions. I have a lhasa apso--he is somewhat like that himself---not originally bred to hunt vermin --their job was to signal monks in Tibetan monasteries of danger and he can do that very well. lol.

There is a famous children's book about a Skye Terrier.
http://www.squidoo.com/greyfriars-bobby

I don't need anymore comments myself. 'Some' people seem tightly wound or very rigid---it gets old.

Time with my dog is never wasted. fwiw.

Last edited:

I hope he finds a good home or did you already adopt him?

Anyone who would treat an animal cruelly deserves the same or worse imo.

The terriers are great--active, energetic --most that I have known. Intelligent and great companions. I have a lhasa apso--he is somewhat like that himself---not originally bred to hunt vermin --their job was to signal monks in Tibetan monasteries of danger and he can do that very well. lol.

There is a famous children's book about a Skye Terrier.
Greyfriars Bobby

I don't need anymore comments myself. 'Some' people seem tightly wound or very rigid---it gets old.

Time with my dog is never wasted. fwiw.

Interesting history of various breeds. And sad how we have turned them into sickly shadows of what they were.

If he does well, I'll put him up for adoption. if he doesn't, he'll join the bunch we already have.

Time with dogs and cats - you're right, its never wasted.

I hate animal abusers as well.

The Skye was a popular breed back in the 1880's. Queen Victoria had them. The breed has fallen on hard times because they just aren't popular anymore.

Greyfriars Bobby was a Skye. These dogs are intelligent, good tempered, loyal and fearless.

They are super dogs . Glad you could help the dog the Lud. When it comes to dogs I could give shit one about your politics. Kudo's to you my friend.

Yeah, a lhasa apso is nothing like a terrier.

Terriers are first and foremost hunters, and skyes are no different, though they are a little less manic than, say, a jack. They like to dig, and to run, and hunt.

It's hard on them to be moved around from home to home. Terriers are very loyal, a little reticent around strangers, and take a long time to get over the trauma of changing owners. I've had my PR bitch for 5 years now, almost 6....she was 2 when I got her..and it took her 2-3 years to fully settle in with us, and learn to completely trust us.

They're good tempered, but can be feisty, aggressive towards other dogs and animals, and snappish. Not great around little kids, unless they've been raised around them.

They're complicated, elegant minded dogs.

Yeah, a lhasa apso is nothing like a terrier.

Terriers are first and foremost hunters, and skyes are no different, though they are a little less manic than, say, a jack. They like to dig, and to run, and hunt.

It's hard on them to be moved around from home to home. Terriers are very loyal, a little reticent around strangers, and take a long time to get over the trauma of changing owners. I've had my PR bitch for 5 years now, almost 6....she was 2 when I got her..and it took her 2-3 years to fully settle in with us, and learn to completely trust us.

They're good tempered, but can be feisty, aggressive towards other dogs and animals, and snappish. Not great around little kids, unless they've been raised around them.

They're complicated, elegant minded dogs.

Lhasa's aren't terriers--but 'dogs are dogs'. He certainly chases squirrels--never catches them.

Some of the breeds I saw in the Westminister show I know I couldn't handle. They were great dogs. I once rescued a young staffordshire terrier and at under 40lbs she was so strong I couldn't walk her. Such a baby--so sweet. I did manage to find her a good home. :)

Yes, dogs are dogs..but terriers are dogs on steroids...lhasas are companion animals trained to bark.

I've had my fill of terriers today, sheesh, mine got out and terrorized some old man God knows where this will end...

Yes, dogs are dogs..but terriers are dogs on steroids...lhasas are companion animals trained to bark.

I've had my fill of terriers today, sheesh, mine got out and terrorized some old man God knows where this will end...

He has excelled at barking today. Either very acute hearing or a tad hyper/anxious himself. We went for a long walk and now he is hiding his Valentine's treat. :)

I've seen the Jack Russells--leaping at their fence as we walk by--I know they are very smart but too high energy for me. lol.

We saw some malti poos today. Cute. Young and frisky. :)

I think I'm going to end up paying for a completely unnecessary vet bill, but of course I don't dare complain because my dog escaped...

She owes me big time.

I think I'm going to end up paying for a completely unnecessary vet bill, but of course I don't dare complain because my dog escaped...

She owes me big time.

good luck.

It rained last weekend and was a bit nippy. I didn't feel like walking. We did a few errands in the car and were headed into the house. He is obsessed with people who walk on the sidewalk across the street and gave me a look and took off--he knows I don't like that.

Walk, we must walk. I've had 2 lhasas and both of them wanted/needed walks. I like to walk--but not in the rain and cold. He wouldn't care. :)

Does anyone know anything about this breed?

What sort of disposition and personality do they have?

TIA.
I found a couple of youtubes on silky and skye terriers. When you load "skye" terriers into Animal Planet's youtube site, you get this video:

[ame=http://youtu.be/vqPtnw4ZBjU]Dogs 101 - Silky Terrier - YouTube[/ame]

Puppy playtime:

[ame=http://youtu.be/1LMGb1frei0]Skye terrier puppies - playtime - YouTube[/ame]

My son has a couple of cairns...they are adorable. I met them over Christmas.

I love all dogs, and have had quite a few and been around many...i have to say the terriers are amazing in many ways. They're smart, and so brave, and loyal. I adore my saint...but my obnoxious terrier is the one that would launch herself at any threat, anywhere....my big boy would be there, and put his body there...but he isn't super brave. He's still loyal and protective...but he's worried at the same time, lol. Mylo isn't afraid of ANYTHING.

I've seen Skyes at Caledonia Days...people bring their dogs, and there are scotties and skyes and they are beautiful.

Skye_terrier_800.jpg

Ok I'm going to have to regale you with pics of mine now. I post the same pics all over; I apologize to those who have already suffered through them...

Forum List

Back