"My boy is concussed!"

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I had an interesting conversation with my daughter in law yesterday on the subject of concussions.

She is a language teacher in a lily-white suburban public high school. When a student is confirmed by the school nurse (or a doctor) as recently having had a concussion ("concussed"), the teacher is required to make several accommodations. The students gets a break from classroom rigors whenever s/he feels the need, tests must be OPEN BOOK(!), or the teacher may be required to break a test into more than one session, so the student does not experience undue stress. Multiple choice questions may have to be adjusted so that there are only two or three possible answers rather than 4 or 5. The concussed student should not be required to take classroom "quizzes" unless they are grade-important.

Students are re-evaluated by the nurse at two-week intervals, and the period for accommodations may last for months. (She has heard students collaborating on how to game the nurse-evaluation).

Surprisingly, student athletes doing all sorts of relatively benign things are coming in with "certified" concussion injuries and it becomes a major pain in the ass for teachers. Occasionally, a student will come in with a note from a parent requesting these accommodations (she refuses with out medical certification), and those cases are generally B.S.

I have written previously in this space that interscholastic sports are bullshit and should eliminated entirely. This merely solidifies my opinion.

I am glad that I did not go into collegiate of profession football...I played for 12 years during grade school and jr. high......many guys I knew played in college and pros are suffering from the years of blows to the heck...and head..not to mention knees, shoulders and elbows injured....

Soooo....... you never tried to get out of class/tests in junior and senior high school? Weirdo........ :eusa_whistle:

I am glad that I did not go into collegiate of profession football...I played for 12 years during grade school and jr. high......many guys I knew played in college and pros are suffering from the years of blows to the heck...and head..not to mention knees, shoulders and elbows injured....
Yeah, my neck knows all about that. Not fun. :thup:

Yeah, my neck knows all about that. Not fun. :thup:
I had my disk replaced after 40 years after playing, the military didn't help either.......I never pushed my kids into weight lifting and contact sports......

I have written previously in this space that interscholastic sports are bullshit and should eliminated entirely. This merely solidifies my opinion.

And you continue to fail in supporting your idiotic position.

Sports are a great place to learn honesty and the value of hard work. Nice job of promoting the opposite educators.

Forum List

Back